Sign in to follow this  
kiiarah

Feeding Moors Brine Shrimp

I actually have a couple feeding questions. I just gave the Toshi and Hiroki some frozen brine shrimp. Toshi especially seemed to like them, while Hiroki had a bit more trouble. I am able to get the shrimp to fall into the bare area in the tank so they can find them more easily, but they seem to have a very hard time noticing them still. Half of the time it looks like they are just mouthing around the general area where they smell them and not actually aiming for any. This causes problems because their movement knocks the shrimp around and they don't get any. Also, Hiroki is big enough that every time he circles over the area the current kicks the shrimp up into the water again. :doh11: So long story short, I will be doing quite a bit of siphoning later today to get the leftovers out of the tank, lol. I am just at a loss for how to get these guys to eat their food before it gets lost in the gravel or rots. Felix and Apollo both get all their food out of the water as it is falling, but these two seem to have a really hard time finding it. :unsure:

The other problem I am having is that they were kept on a flake diet until I got them. Of course, I would much rather they eat pellets and I have gotten them to eat the Omega One and Nutrafin Max varieties but only the smallest size. They suck up the bigger size pellets I got them, but spit them right back out, even after they have soaked for a half hour. They just seem totally confused by large food. This creates two problems, one of which is having to drop so many pellets in the tank just to get Hiroki enough food since he is so large. The other is how to know if he has eaten enough. Toshi is faster and just generally more enthusiastic than Hiroki is, and even caught one pellet mid-water, but Hiroki usually just knocks them around instead of eating them. He does eat at least, but it is just a small pellet or two every couple of minutes. At that rate, Toshi gets most of them. I have noticed him pooping at least once a day (decent size and everything) so I assume he is eating but I don't want him to be hungry all the time. I am hoping some moor parents have some advice about how to make sure they get enough to eat without turning the tank into soup in the process. :krazy: Thanks everyone! :)

The problem is that they are not used to different food. The good thing about this is that they will figure it out on their own :) I'd just get the Omega One small sinking pellets, they are great quality. Even if one of them will get less food than the other, he will figure out HOW food is being served, and WHAT food it is.

Same for the brine shrimp. They are actually really good at finding food on/in the gravel, especially when it is only a thin layer. When I still had gravel, I rarely ever found a pellet when siphoning. The only thing I do when feeding brine shrimp, I turn my filters off during feeding, or the filters will "eat" half of the shrimp :doh11: Now that would be a bigger problem, as the shrimp would probably rot inside the filter.

Long story short: feed them just like you feed Apollo and Felix, and they will figure everything out on their own :)

The problem is that they are not used to different food. The good thing about this is that they will figure it out on their own :) I'd just get the Omega One small sinking pellets, they are great quality. Even if one of them will get less food than the other, he will figure out HOW food is being served, and WHAT food it is.

Same for the brine shrimp. They are actually really good at finding food on/in the gravel, especially when it is only a thin layer. When I still had gravel, I rarely ever found a pellet when siphoning. The only thing I do when feeding brine shrimp, I turn my filters off during feeding, or the filters will "eat" half of the shrimp :doh11: Now that would be a bigger problem, as the shrimp would probably rot inside the filter.

Long story short: feed them just like you feed Apollo and Felix, and they will figure everything out on their own :)

Awesome, sounds like I am doing what I need to then. I have been turning off the filters and air wall to feed them and they have been getting the Omega One with feedings of Nutrafin just for variety. They do both seem to be picking up on the whole pellet thing. It looks like they would have such a hard time sucking up little pellets with such large mouths (the gravel always comes with the food) but I guess that is sort of what they are designed to do isn't it. :P Good advice about the shrimp rotting in the filter, yikes! I had been turning the filters off just so the shrimp fall straight down into the bare bottom area, but that is another very good reason to. Thanks for the reassurance, it helps to know that they will work it out and I don't need to do anything crazy to make sure they eat. ^_^

Even with my fish kids with "regular" eyes, I still don't like feeding brine shrimp because of that VERY reason. They're so small and hard to see/find. That's why I prefer to feed bloodworms when I feed frozen proteins. You could try the brine shrimp gel that they've recently come out with: Instant Ocean Brine Shrimp Soft Gel Food

Also, you might want to try making a gel food for your fish. You can control all the ingredients you feed your fish this way, you don't have to soak it, you can cut it in whatever sized pieces you want, it's soft and easy to eat......

I also used the pre-made Instant Ocean food. Mostly because my LFS stop caring it and sold it for $2. It had a year shelf life so I bought every thing they had including the Cyclop-Eeze. Other wise you can make your own. The nice thing about gel is you can squeeze out larger pieces that are easier for bigger fish to eat. I have a large Moor (10") and he has never gotten used to eating anything but pellets. I trick him by putting in a few pellets after the frozen, fresh or gel food hits the bottom. As soon as he smells the pellets he begins vacuuming up everything.