Bottom Sitting Betta

Edgar

My betta is usually very active, he swims up and down his tank, but today all he has beed doing is staying down at the bottom of the tank. Should I be worried? Could he be sick or is it normal for a betta to do this. Besides the bottom sitting he looks perfectly normal. I just tested my water and got 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and I can't tell if I have 10 or 20 nitrate. The water seems to be good, I did a 2 gal water change yesterday. Besides that nothing has changed, I feed him Hikari betta bio-gold once everyday (sometimes twice) and I always soak his food for about 5 min. before feeding him.

Thanks for the help.

I haven't been keeping bettas for too long. Only a couple months. I can't suggest much but a few things. Have you checked the temperature, has it dropped recently? Bettas like a consistent temperature in the high 70's. If your tank is smaller than 5 gallons you cannot use a heater for this. Also a change in PH of more than 0.5 can cause ph shock.

Your nitrates might be a bit a on the high side if they are 20. I change about 4 gallons of my 5 gallon tank once a week and the nitrates never get to high. If you add a plant it helps reduce the nitrates between WC.

Another thing, I would vary the food a little. Bettas get pretty bored with having the same thing every day. This is what I have been feeding mine since I got him: Frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, tropical flakes, freeze dried blood worms, and small guppy pellets. If you are to add a new food I would start with frozen blood worms, they go crazy for those.

Let us know how things are now and maybe some more on your current setup, and WC schedule. Also how long have you had the betta?

Now that this topic has been bumped and possibly another update from you soon, I am sure you will get some more help from other experienced members.

I haven't been keeping bettas for too long. Only a couple months. I can't suggest much but a few things. Have you checked the temperature, has it dropped recently? Bettas like a consistent temperature in the high 70's. If your tank is smaller than 5 gallons you cannot use a heater for this. Also a change in PH of more than 0.5 can cause ph shock.

Your nitrates might be a bit a on the high side if they are 20. I change about 4 gallons of my 5 gallon tank once a week and the nitrates never get to high. If you add a plant it helps reduce the nitrates between WC.

Another thing, I would vary the food a little. Bettas get pretty bored with having the same thing every day. This is what I have been feeding mine since I got him: Frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, tropical flakes, freeze dried blood worms, and small guppy pellets. If you are to add a new food I would start with frozen blood worms, they go crazy for those.

Let us know how things are now and maybe some more on your current setup, and WC schedule. Also how long have you had the betta?

Now that this topic has been bumped and possibly another update from you soon, I am sure you will get some more help from other experienced members.

Thanks for the help, my betta is doing fine now. I don't know what happened to him yesterday, but this morning he was back to his old active self :). It might have been the water temp. but i'm not sure. I usually do 2-3 gal. water changes every two days. Thanks for the advice on the food diet. I usally feed him his pellets and once in a while tetramin tropical crips. I will try feeding him some bloodworms as soon as I get some.

thanks.