Sign in to follow this  
npila1

Hydrogen Peroxide Dip

I did not answer the list of questions because I don't think they are relevant to my question, but I would be happy to if more information is needed. So my fishless cycle in my big tank is going well and I'm planning to move Twinkle to that tank sometime next week. As some of you know, Twinkle has had a long history of slow persistent fin rot that has not been cured by daily water changes, salt, maracyn, or maracyn-two. At this point there are no medications in her water and her tail is missing a very thin part at the edges of the upper and lower lobe, but it's not too bad at all.

My question is this... I'm going to do a hydrogen peroxide dip (0.3% HP 1 to 9 parts water) for 10 seconds, after taking her out of her current tank and before moving her to the big tank, to ensure that the new tank is parasite-free. I'm concerned about whether the HP dip will cause further damage to her fins/accelerate the fin rot. I know some people recommend dabbing the area with HP to cure fin rot, but I've also read other opinions that it can burn the fin and make it worse. Any ideas/experiences with this?

I would do the dip. This is routine for me prior to transferring fish into the main tank.

Glad to hear they are moving into the bigger tank soon :)

I've used hp to dab, never dip. I suppose that is up to you to decide but I would be warry about getting it anywhere near the gills. Good luck.

I've used hp to dab, never dip. I suppose that is up to you to decide but I would be warry about getting it anywhere near the gills. Good luck.

Hi Martha. I'm Alex. How are you? The method for HP dip I use is from Ken Fischer of Dandy Orandas, who has been doing that way on thousands of fish over the years. He tells me that it's an excellent way of getting rid of gill flukes and other external parasites. I've also researched this, and at the concentration used, is very safe. I'm happy to show you some of this literature. I've also had personal experience with this, and it is a good method. :)

Doing an HP dip may make the damage APPEAR to be worse, because part of what it does is to remove dead and dying skin, but, as it is a healing component, it won't do damage if done correctly and safely.

The thing is, doing an HP dip will help disinfect and remove any damaged skin from the fish, but it won't address what's causing the problem in the first place. Until you identify and correct the initial, underlying problem, your fin rot will continue. If you already know what it is, great! You're done with that part, but if not...............

I, too, have been dealing with persistent fin rot over the last two years. It's always been very low-grade and the fish have always acted extremely healthy, so I never paid it too much thought, however, in the last two months or so, it's gotten considerably worse. The fist still act extremely healthy, active and are eating way more than well enough - piggies! - but I have started to become more concerned about it and have been actively delving into the cause.

With the help of Trinket, it's pretty much been determined it's just a low level stressor that can come from anything to plastic plants leaching to redox and improperly balanced water.

So, it's just a matter of systematically addressing each potential stressor and removing it or correcting it. Trust me, it's the most frustrating thing there is because you have no idea what's causing it, but it's the only thing you can do.

Let me make it clear - dips, baths, meds, whatever - none of these will address the problem to begin with. We all know that. That is true for every problem. You will need to identify the source of the problem and deal with it, or you will have recurring issues - like Lynda is experiencing.

Having said that, HP dips are great for quickly and safely reducing the number of external parasites, possibly enough to make it manageable for the fish to control. I use HP dips mostly when I add have new fish - once when I add to QT and once more when I move to the main tank.

Hi Martha. I'm Alex. How are you? The method for HP dip I use is from Ken Fischer of Dandy Orandas, who has been doing that way on thousands of fish over the years. He tells me that it's an excellent way of getting rid of gill flukes and other external parasites. I've also researched this, and at the concentration used, is very safe. I'm happy to show you some of this literature. I've also had personal experience with this, and it is a good method. :)

tumblr_lkx03xq3yF1qzie5z.gif

Alex, could you share how you do the HP dip? I'm very interested in this. If I understand this right, it will reduce the number of parasites and bacteria the fish brings with him before you put him in QT, correct?

I HP dipped Fraggle when I got him. I had learned about it online...I believe Mikroll wrote about it. 1 part HP to 10 parts water, 10 seconds. Worked fine and Fraggle handled it fine. He was only 1 1/2 little guy. 10 second dip, then I dipped him in fresh .1% salted de-chlorinated water, then into the tank.

Here is another recent thread discussing HP dips here on Koko's. :)

Awesome, thanks Red! :)

I HP dipped Fraggle when I got him. I had learned about it online...I believe Mikroll wrote about it. 1 part HP to 10 parts water, 10 seconds. Worked fine and Fraggle handled it fine. He was only 1 1/2 little guy. 10 second dip, then I dipped him in fresh .1% salted de-chlorinated water, then into the tank.

Here is another recent thread discussing HP dips here on Koko's. :)

This is not a huge difference, but like I said in the initial post, I'm pretty sure it's 1 part 3% HP to 9 parts water - that will dilute it by a factor of 10 and make the concentration 0.3%. If I'm wrong, let me know!

Edited by npila1

I followed Mikroll's instruction when I used it. 1 part 3% HP (standard drug store HP is 3%...not .3%)to 10 parts water, 10 seconds. Makes .3% concentration.

Posted elsewhere by Mikroll:

Hydrogen peroxide can be used as a dip or bath.

Dip HP 10:10 as describe by "goldrush" at raffles and ref. I. Buxton

HP 3% diluted 1 to 10 parts water to make it 0.3% dip fish in solution for 10 seconds only. easy

i like to dip fish in a salt bath after that too. and oh yes it relly does knock the S*** of of the flukes too.

the bath is more diluted and is given for longer time.

after the flukes you consider if the bite wounds need to be treated for infection. if you need more info i can give links .

I followed Mikroll's instruction when I used it. 1 part 3% HP (standard drug store HP is 3%...not .3%)to 10 parts water, 10 seconds. Makes .3% concentration.

This dilution is fine. Mine is a little stronger (1 part 3% HP to 8 parts water for 10 seconds), but I think the differences are small enough that it doesn't really make a difference. :)

Right before you posted this I actually checked my HP solution and edited my post and wrote 3% :)

Anyway, sorry I'm insisting about this, but I studied chemistry as an undergrad and I can tell you that if you want a 0.3% concentration, you need to do a 1:9 dilution. I remember this always confusing students, but that's how it is :)

Alex, I'm glad that your stronger solution is still fine/safe.

I have seen 1:9 too. I'm sure 1:8, 1:9, 1:10 is all fine. Just watch the fish carefully for distress, no matter the concentration and no longer than 10 seconds. :)

I have seen 1:9 too. I'm sure 1:8, 1:9, 1:10 is all fine. Just watch the fish carefully for distress, no matter the concentration and no longer than 10 seconds. :)

:exactly

The important thing is not to leave the fish in there for longer than 10 seconds. Also, as with other good things, this is a once in a very long while treatment :)

Do you guys use a timer or something?

When I do the bleach dips for the plants I count. But I imagine that if I was doing a fish dip I would count SUPER fast to get it over with :rofl

I count...1 Mississippi...2 Mississippi... :D

I count...1 Mississippi...2 Mississippi... :D

Lol. I count also.

That can also go faster if you race the Mississippi! Or if you say it extra slow the poor fish will get intoxicated lol. I will put BF on timer duty! :rolleyes:

That can also go faster if you race the Mississippi! Or if you say it extra slow the poor fish will get intoxicated lol. I will put BF on timer duty! :rolleyes:

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I've actually timed my counting to make sure I get pretty close to on the second :rofl

Don't be embarrassed Alex..I did too. The way I say 1 Mississippi in my normal speaking speed is one second on the clock. LOL

Thank god for analog clocks :rofl

:rofl :rofl :rofl you guys are too funny!