Black Moor Depressed At Introduction Of New Tan Mates?

Guest ticklingslowloris

Guest ticklingslowloris

I have had a black moor and a calico fancy in a 65 litre tank for about 1 year. I got the black moor first and had him on his own for about a month before I introduced the calico. He was so happy on his own and always loved my attention. When I introdued the calico he seemed angry and has always bullied him (chasing and 'pecking' him for hours).

A week ago I decided to add some more interest to the tank by introducing two shrimp and two platties. The platties seem really happy and are exhibiting mating behaviour. The shrimps seem happy and, particularly when the lights are on, swim around lots and don't hide much.

However, my Black Moor looked instantly depressed when the others were introduced. He hardly swims around the tank now and just moves slowly around, seeming to sleep a lot. He used to be very active, constantly swimming and 'foraging' throughout the tank. He has even given up bullying the calico!

I feel so guilty, as I think he really loved my attention when he was alone and now he seems so unhappy :(

What should I do? I intend to get a bigger tank when he grows bigger. Have tested the water every day this week. Ammonia and nitrite are 0 and Nitrate is under 20.

So your tank is about 17 USg, meaning it was just big enough for the one goldy, and maybe the shrimp. Goldies need 10g minimum per fish, and shrimp need a few gallons of their own (Simply because they produce so much waste)

Secondly, platies are tropical fish and are not compatible with goldfish. Platies need higher temperatures than goldies do.

If you can I would suggest getting a tank big enough for both the goldies (around 30 USg) as soon as possible and getting rid of the platies and shrimp. Platies are most comfortable in big groups of one male and 5 females, and require a gallon per full grown inch of fish, so each platy would need about 3 USg each.

Nitrite 20 should be the maximum, but if you're cleaning the tank often enough (once a week) it should stay around 5 or 10.

Secondly the goldy might not be "Depressed" but, rather sick and "Bottom sitting" if you will.

Did you quarentine any of the other fish? If you can you should separate the moor into a food-safe plastic tub with an extra filter and air stone and observe his behavior. If he seems to get better on his own maybe he actually does dislike his tank mates, which is rare for goldies as they are social animals.

First off welcome to Koko's.:)

I'm sorry about the troubles you are having. :( A 65 litres tank is only about 16 gallons. Fancy goldfish need more space. :undecided: When you added the second goldfish the chasing and the pecking were most probably a fight for your black moor's territory. The tank not being big enough for two he wanted to fight to keep his space. Even if the water tests okay, it is actually a question of space too.

Your next problem is that platies are tropical fish and should not be kept in the same tank as goldies since they require different care.

I would rehome the two platies and try and get the goldies a bigger home as soon as possible. :)

Hello and welcome to koko's :)

Looks like the basics have already been touched on so i just wanted to say "most of us here have made the same mistake" and that's why we are here :) No worries, you have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do for your finned friends and the shrimp will probably become nice protein snacks for your goldfish ;) lol

Guest ticklingslowloris

Hello and welcome to koko's :)

Looks like the basics have already been touched on so i just wanted to say "most of us here have made the same mistake" and that's why we are here :) No worries, you have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do for your finned friends and the shrimp will probably become nice protein snacks for your goldfish ;) lol

Hi and thanks for all your replies! Yes I am sure you're right about the tank size..... I have every intention of upgrading to a bigger tank, but as the two goldfish are pretty small at the moment (only about 2.5 inches each - they both have pretty short, double tails) I hope they'll be okay for a few months.

The platies were sold to me as suitable for an unheated indoor aquarium - they seem very happy.....?

My Black Moor Arthur has perked up a bit today.... maybe he's getting over his initial shock! He hasn't done any lying on the bottom at all and hasn't exhibited any signs of illness (no ich, fin rot, flashing, slime, mouth fungus) just not foraging or swimming about as much......

..... perhaps I am just being paranoid as I am on holiday from work at the moment and am watching them a lot - normally I don't know what he gets up to during the day when the tank light is off - maybe he always acts like that!

Platies are still considered a tropical fish. They not only prefer warmer water than your goldies, but they like a little salt as well. Generally speaking, goldfish are a "species only" type of fish. Like ciclids, they like to be the only type of fish in the aquarium. Why not buy yourself a 30 gallon for the goldfish, and leave the smaller tank set up for tropical?

"Not foraging or swimming around as much" are possible signs of illness. Yes goldfish do get emotionally stressed by changes, but since you have a heavily overstocked tank and have introduced new fish, you shouldn't rule out a physical cause of this behavior.

Guest ticklingslowloris

"Not foraging or swimming around as much" are possible signs of illness. Yes goldfish do get emotionally stressed by changes, but since you have a heavily overstocked tank and have introduced new fish, you shouldn't rule out a physical cause of this behavior.

Hmmmmm. Well the goldfish have grown since I got them but are still very small - only about 2.5 inches max. As I've said, I do think they need more space as they grow, but surely, seen as the tank has no problems with nitrate levels, to say it is 'heavily overstocked' is an exaggeration!

Anyhow, I have recently been thinking of releasing them (goldfish only) into a friend's pond, my main concern being my Black Moor.... is his eyesight good enough for a pond? I have definitely seen them in ponds, but do they survive well?

The reason we still say your tank is overstocked is because of the things we can't test for. Goldfish and other fish release hormones and other toxins that our test kits can't detect, but can be more deadly than what we DO test for.

As far as mixing the platy species, we don't do this for two reasons.#1: Goldfish will try to eat anything they can get in their mouth. #2: Tropical fish like a water temperature over 76 degrees, whereas goldfish prefer temperatures anywhere from 66 to 72 degrees.

A platy is a live bearing fish. Most live bearing tropical fish like a slight salt concentration added to their tank to aid with breeding. Goldfish don't require this, and it can cause some negative effects in the long run.

There is no such thing as "fish keeping" ... Take care of the water, and the fish will take care of themselves!

As far as your black moor goes, he will not survive in the pond. His eyesight is not good enough. Nor is he fast enough to compete for food or escape predators.

• Admin

Yup everyone here has said it. There is just to many fish in there. its big enough for one goldfish, and that goldfish is telling you by attacking and getting sad "its to small".

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tensteps.html

Guest ticklingslowloris

Yup everyone here has said it. There is just to many fish in there. its big enough for one goldfish, and that goldfish is telling you by attacking and getting sad "its to small".

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tensteps.html

Well hopefully I have now found someone with two massive tanks 660L and 440L, who keeps similar goldfish and is happy to re-home them. I have been worrying about the size of their tank for a while.

It is a shame that the people working in most aquatics stores don't care enough about the fish to sell you what is appropriate for your tank or tell you about their future needs. It is only through my own desire to learn more and my love of my fish that I researched them in the first place.

I hope that I hope that your members appreciate that anyone who becomes a member of this forum does it because they love and care about their pets. That person who made the ridiculous comment about fish keeping needs to recognise how unhelpful and patronising some comments can be. As someone else said - we've all made mistakes, thats why we're on here.

• Admin

Yeah it does suck that the LFS are just in it for the money mostly. There are a few good LFS just have to look and ask. Oh we all start as new goldfish keepers, and I think we all here try to show it. i dont think that person meant it how it came out. :)