Rescued Koi, Help

Hey there, I may be getting 5 1ft fat koi/goldfish soon. I'll be a 1hr+ drive to get them and another hr to come back. I'm thinking of keeping them in the 75g I have. I'll have to change the water with cold tap every day to keep it cool.

I'm wondering how long can they stay in there for before I find them new homes?

How much w/c should I do and how often?

I have a small air pump I'll keep on and a small filter. Both mainly to keep water moving and to add air.

Ideas?

I don't know much about koi, but I know they need LOTS of space. I have a 75 gallon tank, and I really can't picture 5 foot-long fish in it, even temporarily! :o

I would think you'd need some sort of pool or something for them until they find a home... hopefully someone here with koi experience will be able to lead you in the right direction.

Can you not find maybe a kiddy pool or something? I know a couple of people who keep kois and their pools are POOLS! THey need TONS of space as their poops are... huge.

For sure they are much hardier then goldies, but they need the room.

The house is real far from us, so no way I can drive over to care and meet people for them. Plus people steal Koi, so rather not let that be known to anyone who would come back after I left and stole the rest of them.

I haven't seen them myself, so they may not be actually a foot long. The friend has no experience with fish, so he could be way off in either direction. They may just be goldfish, who knows..lol.

Already looking for people w/ pond who might want them. So when I get them, it'll only be a few days before they are adopted.

So its 5 fish that are a foot long each, so lets pretend they are 5 full grown commons. prolly 50% water change once a week until you get them to a pond, right guys?

Big Lots has the 8' diameter Intex pools for $35. Many koi people keep these on hand for emergency ponds. When you are done with it, you just fold it up and put it away until the next emergency.

We're no where near a Big Lots..

My fiance wants me to put them into my pond w/my tiny baby koi. But I rather not! Maybe after qt and I find one or two I like, but not all of them!

My fiance wants me to put them into my pond w/my tiny baby koi. But I rather not! Maybe after qt and I find one or two I like, but not all of them!

Maybe you could take the baby inside and put the koi into the pond? It would be only temporary, and if you suspect the koi are ill you'd just treat the pond, right?

Maybe you could take the baby inside and put the koi into the pond? It would be only temporary, and if you suspect the koi are ill you'd just treat the pond, right?

i agree i think that wouild be a more adaqute set up

Yeah, the kois are gonna need a lot of room. At 12 inches each, with their bigger body than a 12 inch goldfish, they will be way overstocked in the 75g. You will have to do like 80% water changes every other day, if you want to temporarily keep them in there.

Wally World also sells inflatable pools. A bit more expensive than Big Lots, but still really cheap for how much water volume you are getting :)

They have a 120 inches long inflatable pool for only $ 25. Even if your local store doesn't have it in stock, don't forget their free site to store program. They will just have one brought over from a different store, at no cost to you :)

Hey I had a Koi in my fish tank a while ago. I bought it from a petshop thinking it was a goldfish, the guy in the petshop even thought it was a goldfish. Anyway I took it home and put it in my 25 Gallon tank, after a few months the poor things tail started bending up it back so I took the poor thing to my local fish supplier who instantly pointed out its tubicles (is that the word?) and told me it was a Koi. He then explained to me that Koi can't survive in a tank because they need a large volume of water otherwise it affects their skeleton and deforms them.

I have no idea what a Wally World is and no K-mart either.

This is all really unknown. He may not get the house, I may find homes for them before I even have to bring them home.

No way are they going into my pond. I just took them out there after a lot of issues. They ain't coming out until I dig an even larger hole for them.

A Wallyworld is a Wal - Mart. We're not allowed to use most proper brand store names here, because they become edited out, so we use nicknames.