Sign in to follow this  
Rhonda

It's Gotta Be Breeding Behavior

I'm a bit horrified over what is going on this morning. On the two blue orandas I can see breeding stars. They are both chasing my bronze telescope, which I'm assuming must be female. My god, I think they are going to kill her... Can they? She's exhausted! I'm about ready to call a woman that lives nearby to come and get her. Do you think it would be in the fish's best interest to rehome her?

Took this pic in a hurry so I could get it posted and ask for advice. This is nonstop! Please advise...

003.jpg

looks like breeding behavior ;) do you have a colander you can float the female in to give her a break or maybe a way to divide the tank temporarily?some places for her to hide from the males?

I wouldn't rehome her, that would be even more stress. Just try shell's ideas instead.

Can you believe I don't own a collander? I found a critter keeper and put her in it. She is already showing improvement. That was really scarry.... I won't be able to keep her in the critter keeper too long so I'll get some ornaments and put them into the tank. If they do spawn won't they make some seriously ugly baby fish? :unsure:

Thank you guys... :doh11:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;) I would love fry either way.

I shouldn't have worded it like I did, feelin' bad. I was just trying to picture little telecopes with wens. I know nothing about goldfish genetics, lol.

I was just trying to picture little telecopes with wens. I know nothing about goldfish genetics, lol.

If you want to raise fry- go ahead and do it. There is a lot of stress accompanying raising fry for the first time but it is also a very rewarding and enriching experience. But you will have to do a lot of research on raising fry.....and do follow the advice of the experts.

If you want to raise fry for your own enjoyment don't try and raise to many! Even if you know everything about genetics you will still be surprised on the outcome.

As far as I know telescopic eyes are very dominant?

Lennard

I am researching now, have found immense info right here in the forum. I do have other tanks I can set up to raise them in but I'm really having trouble picturing the babies. :o

I am researching now, have found immense info right here in the forum. I do have other tanks I can set up to raise them in but I'm really having trouble picturing the babies. :o

If you can breed Orandas with telescopic eyes all wen-growing-over-the-eyes problems will be solved - no more operations to remove wen growth!

Lennard

Try a tank divider, that should work.

I hope shes feeling better now having a little break and yes they would be cute babies :) :) my moor and lionhead had fry the one survivor looked like a fan tail to me (i miss him :()