Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Is Saki Hikari Really So Good?

I had to buy new fish food yesterday, since my current pack of Saki Hikari is open for a bit over half a year.

Of course Pet$mart doesn't carry this, so I bought the "small" jar of Omega One pellets again.

At home I read the ingredients, and now I'm not even so sure if Saki Hikari is THAT great. The first eight ingredients each are:

Saki Hikari

fish meal

wheat germ meal

wheat flour

brewer's dried yeast

starch

dried bakery product

soybean meal

gluten meal

Followed by a bunch of things like MSG, rice bran, spirulina, two different fermentation extracts/products, garlic, oils, vitamins/minerals etc

And "dried bakery product". Are we talking about dried breads here? Milkbone, anyone? rofl

Omega One

whole salmon

whole herring

whole shrimp

wheat flour

wheat gluten

fresh kelp

lecithin (fatty substance)

astaxanthin (a carotenoid)

Followed by natural and artificial colors and vitamins/minerals.

I kind of don't like how ingredient #4 in S.H. is brewer's yeast (why??) and #5 is starch.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I personally like the Omega One ingredients list much more.

Fang, I love the Omega One pellets. I've fed them to my fish before :)

Me too, that's what I started the goldis out on. And the tropicals got it too :rofl

But then after hearing all the praise, I switched to Saki Hikari. The fish loved it, and it sure helped the colors, no doubt! But again, the ingredients list bothers me a bit now. I'm probably wrong, but I wonder if all that starchy stuff in it is what started Vanille's floating...?

Even though I mainly feed gel food, I like having pellets in the house, just in case. :)

Lol. Me, too. I actually feed mine pellets at least once a week, just to vary things up. I also use New Life Spectrum pellets. They aren't specifically for goldfish, but their ingredients list is also quite good. There is also a formulation with garlic in it, and the fish go crazy when they get those :D

I like the Omega list too. I'll be ordering it next time I order pellets. Still have an unopened bag of Saki Hikari in the fridge.

I like the Omega list too. I'll be ordering it next time I order pellets. Still have an unopened bag of Saki Hikari in the fridge.

Omega One is also a lot cheaper :)

Yeah, I think I'll stick with Omega One for now too. It is much cheaper. The S.H. cost me almost $ 20, and I never got to use all of it. Even with the close to 30 fish (incl. tropicals) and the snails.

I just wish O.O. would come in smaller jars. The smallest on Pet$mart has is the 4.2 oz. Half of it is gonna be wasted too :doh11:

I want a 2oz jar or so. :D

I think I'm going to see to getting a vacuum sealer :D

LOL To me personally, the $ 5 jar of Omega One is not worth getting a vacuum sealer.

A vacuum sealer is a great idea!

It will take me forever to use up the Hikari...I rarely feed pellets now. But I think I'd feed Omega's more often, not so much fillers, I'll bet that IS what makes our fish floaty!

LOL To me personally, the $ 5 jar of Omega One is not worth getting a vacuum sealer.

It is if you have to buy online like me. LOL Shipping makes it more expensive. I actually haven't found the Omega One at my online store (Canadian) they have New Life Spectrum...it may be good. A 140gram jar is $17 plus tax & shipping though!

See, and considered I feed it only occasionally to the goldis, I don't want to pay that much. :D

I also want the vacuum sealer because it seems like fun to use :rofl :rofl :rofl. I'm going to end up vacuum sealinf everything :P

I have a vacuum sealer! It is awesome, but VERY large, so not so practical to use everyday.

I no longer feed commercial foods to any of my pets because I just get a bad feeling from them. EVeryone is much healthier now it seems. Also the turtles got way prettier shells etc.

The New Life Spectrum goldfish pellets have as the beginning of the ingredient list-

Whole Antactic krill meal

Whole herring meal

Wheat flour

Whole squid meal

Algae meal

Soybean isolate

Beta carotene

Spirulina, vegetable and fruit extract

Various vitamins and supplements

Etc.

I really like the Omega One.

Are you talking about the pro biotic purple pack Saki Hikari or the green regular pack? Those ingredients you list are not what my purple pack says.

The purple pack contains probiotics. These are micro-organisms that compete with pathogens by antibiosis which is competition for nutrients and space in GI tract, and a stimulation of immunity. They stimulate appetite, improve nutrition via detoxification of compounds in the diet and by the breakdown of indigestible components and allow easier transfer of vitamins. I think a food that contains probiotics has to be a good idea.

Imo, have you seen the Saki Hikari purple bags with a tosakin on the bag? Apparently, it's new.

I'm getting more Saki Hikari tomorrow on the way to work. I'll try take a pic of what we have available here. There are about 5 kinds.

My Saki Hikari lists :

Fish (45% krill and shrimp)

wheat germ,

soybean,

wheat flour,brewers dried yeast (excellent for kidney infections and diabetics, a low fat, low salt protein that lowers cholestrol, supposedly reduces stress and improves metabolism)

gluten meal,

starch,

fishoils (omega 3 and 6)

pure cultured spirulina,

rice,

seaweed,

garlic,

probiotics,

sodium bisulphate complex (aids pH balance in GI tract)

And : vitamins K,vitamin A, stabilized vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, niacin, riboflavin, folic acid,copper sulfate,

minute amounts of magnesium sulfate (epsom salt)

ash (very important for fish) and amino acids.

Sounds good enough to me. For commercial food.

I think everyone has a fave diet for their fish rather like Mothers have diets worked out for their kids and we all believe we are feeding the best or

otherwise we would change.

There are so many opinions on which food is best (and what to include in gelfood too).

Imo yours is way different than the one I used to get. Could it be that different countries have different ingredients? Does your not have MSG?

Can you also take a picture of the package you have?

I also stopped feeding the betta pellets because the ingredients got changed and I feel like there are more fillings than protein. I have a feeling that my new bettas - who never got commercial food - are much healthier than the others I had who only ate pellets basically. The one on live foods is PSYCHO active and in breeding mode all the time.

Wait, how is the smallest jar of O.O. too big and going to be wasted?! :rofl

I feed my fish twice sometimes two times a day on O.O. and I have to buy a new jar almost every three months! :lol

I've also started feeding them the larger pellets. :) I feed them less of those than the small ones and still manage to kill the jar within a couple of months! :rofl

I have had the 8oz bag of pro gold, which I love, for 1 month and it is 3/4 gone :o and they don't always get pellets. I guess my guys are pigs.

But I love pro gold over SH. The fish have exploded in growth since I switched. I just wish the pellets were smaller since two of my fish are too small to eat it.

That is so weird. Mine also listed dried bakery products and I wondered what the heck that was about. I liked the Saki when I used to feed it, but it turned Hatter a bit orange. And I hated paying $20 for food that I threw half away. We need to start a food train where we all pay for 1/4 of a bag or something. In six months I always have to toss stuff. I stick to gel food, but I admit that I worry if they are getting all their nutrients, but I am a big proponent of fresh foods. My dog eats a raw diet as well.

I have used Omega one since I started keeping fish and it seems to work well enough.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with Omega One for now too. It is much cheaper. The S.H. cost me almost $ 20, and I never got to use all of it. Even with the close to 30 fish (incl. tropicals) and the snails.

I just wish O.O. would come in smaller jars. The smallest on Pet$mart has is the 4.2 oz. Half of it is gonna be wasted too :doh11:

I want a 2oz jar or so. :D

You could eat some of the Omega One pellets yourself. ;) I'm sure you could use the pellets as a kind of stock for your soup dishes...

I use Omega One small sinking pellets (4.2 oz) as the staple diet for my goldfish too. It seems to be good quality food and the fish really love it. I have to buy them online though as I live in London in the UK and the local pet shops here in England don't sell Omega One.

I might give Pro-gold a try at some point but it's really difficult to get them if you live outside the US.

Edited by Iseul