No Python For Me

I live in a tiny two story efficiency apartment. The kitchen and living room are downstairs and the two tiny bedrooms and bathroom are upstairs. The aquariums are in my bedroom.

Well, these are older apartments and the faucet on the sink in the bathroom is shaped weird. There is no way to hook a python up to it. I could hook one up to the kitchen sink faucet, but it's too far away.

I didn't even think about it when I put the 40 gallon up here. It was no big deal at all doing water changes in the 10g with a little vacuum and bucket, but it's a little bit more work with the 40.

I can only carry about 2 gallons at a time. Water is heavy! I just did a 50% water change and it took me forever!

• Supporter

oh man.. that sux.. i don't know what i'd do without python. you sure you can't buy an adapter? go to a plumber's shop, they've got heaps of trinkets there. i am sure you'll find something to suit.. bring them the attatching part of the python and take a pic of what your tap looks like.. a good idea would be to measure how far from the nearest tap that the python can attach to the 40g.. they may have tubing available to extend the python hose?

i used to clean all my tanks with a one gallon ice cream pail and a syphon hualing the water downstairs to empty then back upstairs to fill i had 2 20 gallons and 3 10 gallons and i would do about 80 percent water changes on all of them every week usually took about 2 hours but hey do what you gotta do! good luck!

Crap. I love my python :( It practically stays attached to our sink (I have 8 tanks). There has got to be a way to get it to work b/c you don't need to be hauling buckets of water all over the place. Yeah, maybe you could go to Home Depot or something and ask b/c if there is ANY way to make it work, it's so worth it.

I believe Python makes 20 ft hose extensions as well.

I think they do make extensions so that is an idea. I didn't mind hauling the buckets at first because I thought it was just until I got a python.

Oh well, the fishies will still have clean water and maybe I will build some muscle in my arms while I try to figure something out.

They do make extensions. :)

I use an off brand python and it works pretty well for me. As for fitting it to the sink I'm sure you could go to lowes or the home depot and find an attachment that fits both the sink and the python. I got a metal part for mine to replace the plastic bit. :D

what you could try is getting a water pump at the home depot or such - they make them to either empty ponds, clean up house leaks etc. THen you would place it in your tank with a hose to your sink/out the window etc and it will suck the water out the tank :) I used to use one when I aged my water - if you get a powerful one it is as fast/or faster than a python. Filling would still be buckets tho. Or a garden hose?

OMG!! ME TOO!! Huge python issues!! I'm also unable to use a python/python like device because it wont fit on either of my sinks. My bathroom sink has a faucet has a weird 1/2-3/4 inch diameter screw thing that none of the attachments at Home Depot will work (I've been there twice and the guys say nothing they have will fit). My kitchen sink doesn't come apart (its all one faucet) so nothing can screw into it. I've been using a bucket and will probably go get a manual vaccuum/siphon to clean the bottom. Let me know if anyone has any other ideas or knows about a part that is universal to any faucet (maybe something that attaches without screwing) that can be attached to a python. Thanks!!

The bathroom faucet is a square with a hole on the inside...no threads to screw anything into the hole.

I'm afraid it's too far away even with extensions to run it to the kitchen sink. Looks like I will be hauling buckets until I move. You can bet I will be checking faucets of any place I consider moving to though! Lol

what you could try is getting a water pump at the home depot or such - they make them to either empty ponds, clean up house leaks etc. THen you would place it in your tank with a hose to your sink/out the window etc and it will suck the water out the tank :) I used to use one when I aged my water - if you get a powerful one it is as fast/or faster than a python. Filling would still be buckets tho. Or a garden hose?

This is an excellent suggestion. Get the old water out the window for an excellent lawn. Filling seems like much less work than removing the old water.

I use a garden hose, the water goes right into my plants around my house. It is excellent plant water plus I feel like its not just being wasted.

Filling seems like much less work than removing the old water.

That is very true! I can just run it out the window like has been suggested and then carry buckets to fill it back up.

you can fill it with the hose as well. I do and have been for years, I treat the water as it goes in and fill it very slow so that my fish can adjust to the water temp. You being in Alabama have colder winters that I do in Florida so you will have to adjust that.

I have a long gravel vac that I took the short hose off, then cut the male end of the garden hose and it fit right on. Once the gravel vac is on I lay my garden hose out the back door, (one story house) and the water starts to drain out. You'll want to make sure the gravel vac is in the gravel, and don't turn your back on it, it's a powerful draw, and if a fish gets sucked to it they'll be in big trouble. I use a clamp to keep mine in place.

when I fill I clamp the hose on the tank as well....easy peesy....if you have questions or need more help let me know. :goodluck

I attach the Python to my tap in the bathtub. My house is old (late 1930s), so it isn't able to screw on. But I'm able to fit the end of the Python into the faucet, then use duct tape to hold it in place. Works pretty well!

Even if you can't find an adaptor and even though you don't own your home, therefore, the argument typically is why should I make improvements on a rental, it would be worth it, IMO, at least for me, to go buy a new faucet for the sink that would have a spout that fits the python. Maybe the landlord would be willing to pay for the improvement, maybe not, but you have to decide whether the money spent on the faucet is worth you hauling 2 gallons at a time, up stairs, each and every week for years and years and years........

Or, you can do something like what I have worked out. You just send the removed water out the window as already suggested, BUT instead of hauling bucket after bucket up stairs, which is going to get VERY old VERY quickly, you work out a system that pumps the water BACK INTO the tank.

I have a big 5 gallon bucket. I use it to store my equipment in between water changes. For the water change, I put the bucket under my tub tap, fill it up with water and condition the water. I got a basic fountain pump (you're going to want a pump size that has a vertical lift of about 4-5 feet), got a long piece of 1/2" tubing (you can get this at most all home improvement stores), attach the tubing to the pump, put the pump in the bucket with water and run the tubing into your bedroom and into your tank. Clip the tubing to the side of the tank so that it doesn't fall out and make a watery, flooded mess (I just use a silly old banana hair clip!). Turn on the water from the tub so that it trickles water out at the same rate the water is being pumped out into the tank so the bucket doesn't run dry, plug in the pump and away you go! You will have to check the tub water and adjust the output accordingly as well as periodically check how your tank is filling, but that sort of back and forth is MUCH easier than hauling buckets up and down stairs!

Also, you may have to do some jiggling and adjusting with your tubing to get the uphill flow going intially, seeing as how water doesn't usually like to flow uphill!, but once you figure out how your tubing needs to lay to make this happen, you shouldn't have any problem getting the water to go.

Also remember that, once you've gotten your water pumping INTO your tank, you've created a suction with your water and, if you turn off/unplug the pump in the bucket, it's going to start sucking water OUT of the tank, so don't turn off the pump and leave your tubing in unattended (as I learned!).

Edited by Lynda Von G

you can fill it with the hose as well. I do and have been for years, I treat the water as it goes in and fill it very slow so that my fish can adjust to the water temp. You being in Alabama have colder winters that I do in Florida so you will have to adjust that.I have a long gravel vac that I took the short hose off, then cut the male end of the garden hose and it fit right on. Once the gravel vac is on I lay my garden hose out the back door, (one story house) and the water starts to drain out. You'll want to make sure the gravel vac is in the gravel, and don't turn your back on it, it's a powerful draw, and if a fish gets sucked to it they'll be in big trouble. I use a clamp to keep mine in place.when I fill I clamp the hose on the tank as well....easy peesy....if you have questions or need more help let me know. :goodluck

How do you start the siphon?

...For the water change, I put the bucket under my tub tap, fill it up with water and condition the water. I got a basic fountain pump (you're going to want a pump size that has a vertical lift of about 4-5 feet), got a long piece of 1/2" tubing (you can get this at most all home improvement stores), attach the tubing to the pump, put the pump in the bucket with water and run the tubing into your bedroom and into your tank. Clip the tubing to the side of the tank so that it doesn't fall out and make a watery, flooded mess (I just use a silly old banana hair clip!)...

Brilliant!

usually the siphon starts on it's own because the other end is lower and it draw the water out. There have been times that I've had to suck on the end of the hose, just be careful not to suck to long or you'll be drinking tank water!

If you can add a new faucet, you might want to, even though you don't own the place you still live there. If you're not planning on staying to long you could take the new with you and put the old one back on when you go. I did that back in my apartment days...it's all about making it easier on yourself. They're really easy to put on, you might be able to just put on an adapter and remove when you don't need it.