How Long In Qt/observation?

Squared

Sorry for starting so many topics recently, but...google gets no good results.

So the little ryukin i bought seems healthy, no flukes or ich. when can i put him in the pond?

Don't ever use medicine "just in case". This will simply lower the effectiveness of the medicine for whenever you need it. I don't know how you have to feed Metro, if it has to be done for a certain amount of time etc.

The only medicine we use during QT is prazi, to get rid of flukes and other parasites, as well as having 0.1% salt. Even if he look healthy, keep him separate for a good 4 weeks, longer is fine too. Often fish may look healthy at first, but are actually carrying some bad stuff with them that can even wipe out all your other fish if you add the new one without proper QT.

This of course is a worst case scenario, but even if it would "only" be ick or flukes, it is a lot of trouble treating a whole tank full of fish for it, compared to treating a small QT tank / tub with the newbie fish :)

I agree with Fang.

The only thing I would recommend is that now that you've started with the Metro feeding, you should continue it for at least ten days total to a max of 14 days. This is because stopping in a course of treatment midway can result in build up of antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria, reducing the antibiotic's effectiveness in the future.

Good luck!

I hate to say differently, but I know a lot of people that use metromeds or jungle AP in qt for goldies or tropical fish. So I don't think you did anything wrong by starting it. Just continue for 2 weeks.

you should never use antibiotics unless they are needed. they just weaken the fish's organs and lead to a lower life expectancy.

And like Alex said - you need to now finish the full dose or you get resistant bacterial strains.

I QT for 2months at least.

I usually quarantine for about two weeks.

Depends on the source of the fish. If this is a locally bred fish from a healthy tank/pond that is healthy, I'd skip the quarantine.

Edited by Au-fish

Definitely can depend on the source of the fish, but I also say one month. Now, what I say is one month absolutely with at least .1% salt and one round of prazi. This is for good, healthy, trustworthy fish. Higher salt levels and perhaps a second round of prazi may be called for if you have a less trustworthy source.