Sign in to follow this  
Smurfishy

Troubled Tanks At Wally World

While looking at the fishys like I always do I noticed the that the koi where in severe distress. They were gasping for air at the surface, some where lying on their sides on the gravel like spasming. It was bad. I proceeded to speak to a manager up front and 10 minutes later nothing was done, so a worker pointed me to a store manager, I talked to him and asked if they had protocols in place for this sort of thing. Neither knew if there where. He got a worker and they were staring @ the tanks when I stopped by again. I could not leave with the thought in back of my head that nothing was done. They obviously were over their heads so I spurted out ideas to them. The manager went away and I suggested a 50% w/c for starters and had to educate him on how this was ok for goldfish, but the hose ended up being missing, which I was going to have to show him how to use, there where no air bubblers, nor where they likely to buy any. So he took up one suggestion to increase the water flow and the cracker jack he was went to work on those water spreaders and was able to take the ones off in the most desperate tanks. This led a jet stream of water and bubbles into the tank that within 5-10 minutes most of the fish looked alot better. He was trying to fenangle the other tanks as I was leaving which made me feel alot better. Then a customer comes along asking about goldfish and oh that lasted a good 20 mins of educating. She was pretty receptive when I told her that her 55g tank should really not be stocked with more than 5 fancy goldies, and to stay away from the koi and commons, she already had 4 and was shopping for more, and I convinced her into buying a bubblewand where she had none. All in all I feel good about my day.

:angelstaf: good for you. Most people would look and just walk away. Sad that more people don't care enough to get involved when a creature of any kind is in need. After all they are looking to us to take care of them.

Good for you, sounds like you had a productive day.

Nice job! :)

Nice job! :)

Nicely done! I used to leave nasty letters at the fish tanks in my two local walmarts, well...they were mean letters but also informative! This went on for a little while and then I started to notice big improvements! Granted its not perfect and in some ways still horribly wrong (green puffers in fresh water with incompatible fish) etc. But the fish seem alot happier! Im glad someone else as tackled the giant wallyworld!

Thanx for the kudos. I normally turn a blind eye when I see ich and other silent long lasting killers (I tried once to educate but they have their "policys") but those fish were trying so hard and frantically to cling to life I just couldn't go away without knowing something meaningful was done.

Nicely done! I used to leave nasty letters at the fish tanks in my two local walmarts, well...they were mean letters but also informative! This went on for a little while and then I started to notice big improvements! Granted its not perfect and in some ways still horribly wrong (green puffers in fresh water with incompatible fish) etc. But the fish seem alot happier! Im glad someone else as tackled the giant wallyworld!

I like that idea!

Thank you! Im a pretty anti social person, and I really dislike conflict so this is the only way I could go about it in my socially awkward way!

Wal l ma rt has no business selling fish. There are some old threads around here where people managed to get their local 'marts to stop selling fish. I wish the ones in my area would. Just the other week I had spoken to the manager about the sick and dying goldfish, however he didn't seem to care very much and I sincerely doubt they would do anything to save the fish even though I spent the time explaining to him what he can do to either try and save the fish or to euthanize them humanely. It makes my blood boil to see animals suffering needlessly like this.

My local W has stopped selling fish. I think it is mostly because something broke in their tank system because it just says 'Out of order' and the tanks are still there after 6 months, but I am not looking a gift fish in the mouth so to speak.

Good for you!!! More people should care like you did :)

good job!

Good for you! If they can't care for the fish, they shouldn't be selling them!

I miss the fish at our Mart of Wal. They took the tanks out a few years ago. They actually did a pretty good job here, and the fish were better looking than those at out local pet store chain at the time (the pet store has improved a little). When I kept goldfish a few years back I got a sweet Oranda there. She was adorable and healthy. I rehomed her when I took a break from aquariums.

That was nice of you :) - Our Wal&Mart no longer has fish either.. I dont think they have the time to take care of them honestly.. too big of a chain... atleast they listened to you :) - Nice job.. I know I can't stand going to one of our fish stores here .. they always have sick fish I feel so sad :( I want to rescue all of them but our Pets&mart has all very healthy fish for the most part..:)

The last time I was in the pet section at W@l-M@rt, 1/3 of their stock was already dead. The smell was so bad. I stopped two employees but they just pretty much shrugged their shoulders saying that it wasn't their department or words to that effect.

I didn't want to to it and end up getting in trouble but I did it anyway. I scooped out all the dead fish I could manage to reach and dumped it all in that sink next to the display.

The problem with big chains selling fishes is that they depending on the personnel, they can be very inconsistent. When I lived in Dallas, I lived a couple of blocks away from what I though was the Pet$m@rt with the cleanest tanks. It looked like the display tanks of a family owned LFS. Here in Houston, the closest Pet$m@rt is about 5 miles away and the fish section was terrible.

Thank goodness there are a LOT of great LFS here. Finances are tight but wife and I try to support these guys by buying our supplies there even if a lot of what they sell costs a couple of bucks more.

Edited by showcase

:flowers

You're awesome! :heart