Sign in to follow this  
npila1

Flexible Bubble Wand

I ordered a "flexible bubble wand" online from Petsm*rt. In the description it doesn't say what material it is made of. When I received it I realized that it looks like a black rubber material (see photo): http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad163/npila1/?action=view&current=DSC_1970.jpg

Is this safe to use?? On one hand I wouldn't have thought that this kind of material would be safe to use in an aquarium, but on the other hand would they really be making/selling this if it was toxic? But of course you never know :)

I guess my question is primarily directed to people that have used this particular wand or similar rubber-looking things. I am starting up a new, bigger aquarium from scratch (in terms of all the equipment and decorations), so I'm trying to get everything right...

I have one. Not using it at the moment but it is safe to use.

I have 2. I don't like them at all. They put out great bubbles for like 3 days and now nothing.

I had one years ago, never had a problem. :)

I have one of those. It works fine, although I'm using a different type right now.

I used them without a problem too, but now I switched to the air diffuser cubes that Goldfish Connection sells.

Did you need airline tube holders for this bubble wand in bare bottom tanks? I will not have any gravel in the new tank.

Did you need airline tube holders for this bubble wand in bare bottom tanks? I will not have any gravel in the new tank.

Yes, you will need some suction cups to hold it down, I have this one as well and it will float without suction cups. Marineland makes a weighted one that you don't need anything to hold it down http://www.marineland.com/sites/marineland/products/Detail.aspx?id=3431 (I just liked the black better than the blue!)

Nope I didn't need suction cups for mine. It was weighted. I did have a problem with the end the tube was on coming up most the time I just put a rock on it.

I have 2. I don't like them at all. They put out great bubbles for like 3 days and now nothing.

The same thing is happening to me now too. It was making AWESOME bubbles for almost a week but after that it gradually started making fewer and fewer bubbles... I remember that on the package it said to soak it in hot (or warm?) water if this happens, so I might try that - did you try this too ashlee?

I am about to poke new holes in it. I will try the warm water now though.

Ok let me know how it goes with the warm water! What are you using to poke holes?

I used a pin and warm water. It did not help for a noticeable difference :( I will likely purchase something else in the near future.

I used a pin and warm water. It did not help for a noticeable difference :( I will likely purchase something else in the near future.

I ditched mine, after thinking it was my pump (it was not), the lines (also not). I'm really happy right now with my 12 inch Pet-co brand bubble wands. They put out a ton of bubbles :)

I ditched mine, after thinking it was my pump (it was not), the lines (also not). I'm really happy right now with my 12 inch Pet-co brand bubble wands. They put out a ton of bubbles :)

I have 2 of those exact ones from my old 55. I have had them for over a year and they still give out lots of bubbles. I have two more from a friend that are I don't know how old. I have them in my qt tanks. I just wish they were longer. But I will likely get a couple...or four, of them as replacements.

@npila - those are the exact ones :)

@Ashlee - they also have the 18 inch ones, but I haven't tried those. I just went with 3 12 inch ones, and so far they are great. I also have 2 in another tank that are over 2 years old and still going strong.

I actually have two eighteen inch ones and two twelve inch. Love them. Will have to get those on my next trip out.

Wow, what a timely post! I've been getting more and more annoyed with my black bubble wand. (exact same one) I didn't know what was wrong. Just like Alex, I was thinking it was my pump, or lines :hmm

I'm gonna go buy those that Alex and Ashlee recommend. Once again, thanks you guys!

Wow, what a timely post! I've been getting more and more annoyed with my black bubble wand. (exact same one) I didn't know what was wrong. Just like Alex, I was thinking it was my pump, or lines :hmm

I'm gonna go buy those that Alex and Ashlee recommend. Once again, thanks you guys!

Um, you know you can come find us anytime when you need to spend money on fish :))

LOL! Yep, you gave me a good excuse to go shopping for fish stuff. Love it! I've been cleaning the house and I'm getting outta here!

I use this but mine is a pale blue color and it works great for me. fishtank.gif

edit I just wanted to clarify that I use the same bubble wand as the OP & tithra are talking about

Edited by Martha