Sign in to follow this  
kiiarah

Veggie Wafers

I promise this will be the last post tonight! Seems like every time I get on here I learn 5 things I could/should be doing. The latest is veggie wafers. Oddly enough, I have read tons of threads talking about veggies in goldfish diets, and always knew they were safe, but it never really clicked that goldies are omnivores and should have more than tons of fish based food and the occasional lettuce clip :doh11: . I was reading over their new staple pellet ingredients and it dawned on me that I am feeding them primarily other fish, but that in the "wild" they would really be doing much more grazing than they do right now. I have done enough research to at least know that veggie wafers designed for algae eaters are safe for goldies. In fact, I am told that my mom's boys eat the poor cory's wafers before he even has a chance. However, I am still a bit puzzled as to what the best ingredients to look for in these would be for goldfish. I figure that since these are meant to be treats and to fill in the roughage portion of their diet that I would want some that are heavy in seaweed, meaning first few ingredients being seaweed instead of fish, but I have also read that too much seaweed can not only cloud the water but alter the quality and provide excessive iodine. I spent literally about two hours comparing the various brands out there earlier and have concluded that I just have no clue what to look for in these. Help!! Below are some links to the types of foods I was comparing.

http://hagen.com/uk/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=108&PROD_ID=01067440030101

http://www.vvvv.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3433771

http://www.vvvv.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753115

http://www.vvvv.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753175&lmdn=Fish+Feeding

Most of the algae eater wafers I have been seeing are the ones with fish listed first. Do these still have enough veggie content for a goldfish if they would be fed only occasionally and not at every meal? The last link I posted for the Omega One veggie rounds seems great, since they are mainly seaweed, but would that be excessive for a goldfish? Also I cannot find those in town and it looks like food with such a high vegetable content is sort of rare even at big stores. I will probably wind up deciding what to get based on ingredients listing, and probably with only two or three choices. I know that staple goldie food should be whole fish, but what about the veggie stuff? Do I need to make sure it lists seaweed as first and second ingredient or is some stuff with fish listed first alright too. Also how often should I feed them, or does that depend on which one I wind up with. :)

Edited by kiiarah

Bumping this thread to see if there are answers... interesting question.

Edited by Calluna

Goldfish eat veggies not only for fiber, but also vitamins. So looking at the ingredients list, I would look for the product highest in essential vitamins. The one that I personally use is this one. I didn't buy it looking at the ingredients, but my fish love it.

So what about the excessive iodine? Is that an issue?

I feed the Omega One veggie rounds. Boog & Fraggle like them, and the ingredients are good. I don't feed them often, only because I feed gel food mostly, and fresh/frozen veggies. But it is a quality food. Omega One makes very good product.

I used to feed my fish Hikari wafers but they seemed to be too tough for my goldfish. It took them forever to eat. I switched over to Tetra wafers and my fish seem to like them much better. They are a prettier green too ;)

I have ordered Omega One super veggie wafers whichhave green things as the first 3 ingredients. Haven't fed them yet, but I hope they'll be good for the fish. Isn't it amazinghow much time it can taketo decide something like which fish food to buy?

I used to love the spirulina flakes available from Goldfish Connection (they're not really flakes, they're sinking food about the size and thickness of Cocoa Pebbles cereal, if that makes sense), but my redcap oranda got some serious orange smearing in his body and wen. Pretty sure the spirulina was the cause.

Ashlee, any problems with color changes with the food you linked to? I'm looking for a good replacement for veggie-based food (I feed primarily Pro-Gold but like to rotate a veggie food in a couple times a week).