Sign in to follow this  
Squared

300 Gallons Of Pond

i wanted to edit this onto the first post, but the edit button is missing? why?

1 wakin

1 american shubunkin

1 sarasa comet

3 crossbreeds

beautiful pond and super beautiful fish.. thanks for sharing :)

thanks. i bought a 2 inch ryukin at vvvv today :) he is a 5 gallon tank for observation. seems healthy, very active, gills look clear, no scratchin up against decoration. found this little fish to be far superior in terms of body of shape and symetry than other fish in tanks, but his tail arches down a less than other ryukin pictures i've seen. was going to get another fish, none of the other goldfish looked as good as this guy did.

i tried to take pics, but they all turned out fuzzy.

Edited by Squared

very nice, I just turned green with envy. I love ponds, you guys have a nice pond, I like that its shaded as well. Really nice fish too.

Moved the sarasa comet to a hospital tank due dropsy, he is bloated buy no pineconing. also has a cyst, hopefully that will go away.

can't wait to put the little ryukin in the pond :D

i named the ryukin Kazooie.

50% water change on comet's hospital tank, and added a little more epsom salt to compensate.

40% water change on ryukin's QT tank, and added more metro.

Edited by Squared

Im not sure if my comet is getting any better :(

but he/she is still eating so there's hope :)

I hope your comet gets better.

I love your pond! It's gorgeous!

Lovely pond and really nice fish! The bamboo will do fine if the leaves stick out the top of the water.

so it's been a while since i've been here, and i have a small update:

a crane ate my wakin > :(

also that ryukin i got is doing great, even in the colder wheather, and keeping up with the other fish and eating just fine. i don't know why i was worried about adding him.

so im thinking i need to build a cover.

also it's very hard to tell buy the ryukin may or may not have a cyst. and that comet died, bloated and had a buch of white bumps on it's body.

Edited by Squared

Yes, you need to build a cover. Now that the crane has tasted your fish, it will be back for more. A simple frame of lumber that fits the outside of your pond with netting stapled to it will give 100% protection.

Plants present a problem. I made a raised frame for a net over my old pond. The plants could fit under it, but it was ugly. One advantage was that when we had cold weather, I could toss a piece of plastic over the frame and keep the pond temperature stable. Now, I have all of my plants at one end of the pond. Most of them are sitting on stools, so the fish have protection in that area. I have a framed net over the rest of the pond. You could put all of your plants in one arm of the "L" and make a flat cover for the rest of the pond. This isn't perfect, but it will discourage most predators, and it gives your fish an opportunity to get to cover.

what im going to do is put some long plastic dowels in pots of the plants that would stick out, to the net rests on the top. i'll need to find something to keep it from going through the holes of the net though.

Edited by Squared

It's been a while since i've update this little thread...soo...new pic of the pond, first off:

DSCN2359.JPG

Pond doesn't look great, but for a small little ecosystem it's doing very well. fish are fat, colorful, no disease.

Since the last update, i've added two new fish, a calico ryukin and a gray oranda. the oranda died of bloating, unfortunately. today i discovered 1 small single-tailed baby goldfish too, i haven't seen any more babies. So now there is 7 fish in the pond. Still wanting to add 1 or 2 more, maybe another ryukin, since they've proven to me to be as hardy as the commets/commons.

Edited by Squared

It's been really interesting seeing this pond grow and change. It's a beautiful little ecosystem, and I love your netting :). Hopefully it keeps the predators at bay.

Beautiful pond! Interesting shape. Very nicely planted. And lovely fish. Have checked the history - and its really great seeing the progress and changes of the pond. Very nice! (more pictures! :)

thanks guys, more pics, but i had to take them through the mesh. all 7 fish can be seen in the following pictures:

DSCN2370.JPG

DSCN2374.JPG

DSCN2377.JPG

DSCN2375.JPG