Thinking About Moving My Tank To The Balcony

jingyu

since I found there is natural wind moving the water surface well for enough oxygen and they get nice natural light also natural day to night routine everyday, off course, I wont put it in direct sunlight, my balcony is quite good, it always get enough light, but never too much.

was wondering anyone do that?

I think having a glass tank outside would be so cool, and the thought has crossed my mind before too! But I think Ashlee brings up some great points. Glass tanks just aren't made to hold up in outdoor conditions. :( But you could look for a pre-made above ground pond that has a viewing window. Or even a big clear rubbermaid bin- if it's a really sturdy one.

I can't say that I haven't played with that thought myself yet, but as Federica said, the glass tank will superheat.

A reinforced rubbermaid tub (to keep it from bowing) might be the better choice.

But you are making me wonder about another thing now which I'll have to post a topic about.

Instead of your tank, try something like this. Birds rarely go fishing on balconies, :) but you can put a simple screen or hardware cloth cover on for your peace of mind.

Short of a hurricane, I don't think you're going to get enough natural wind to blow the water surface as much as you would need. You'd still need a filter/air pump to move the water. Even ponds need filters/pumps to move the water.

But, I too agree with all the other comments. The glass tank couldn't handle the changes in temperatures, plus the glass would act like a magnifying glass and superheat the water.

I really have to agree with doing pond-like version instead. Either get a pre-formed pond tub, a rubbermaid tub or a decorative pond/fountain. Make sure you provide a place in it for the fish to hide such as a rock cave, etc.. This will protect the fish from the daytime sun as well as predators.

As far as predators, I can absolutely promise you from first-hand experience, they WILL find your fish if you have open water. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow. It may take them several months or even years, but they WILL find it and once they do, they WILL NOT leave it alone. You are going to have to cover the top with some type of mesh netting or something that can't be pulled off easily.

Everyone has made great points about direct sunlight and the heat... as well as the bad idea of glass outside.

With the sunlight you will also have to deal with an algae bloom. You also would definitely need a cover not only to keep predators out, but also and pollutants that get in there.

In the end I just think it's a bad idea.

The rubbermaid ideas are really interesting though!