Sign in to follow this  
Eleanorsmom

How Do You Do It?

Ok, I've read and read that it is good to fast your fish for a day andthen feed them a pea the next day to kind of help keep their poo choo movin' through the station....

HOW do you do that? Omg! Everyday I decide is going to be the day I do it...and every day I fail. How can you look at those precious little faces and watch them dance excitedly because the lady who brings the food has arrived at last and not feed them?

My fish are good too! I have...drama fish! They have the pitiful thing down. "we're hungry, mama. Please give us a bite to eat, mama. Just a teeny little scrap of something so we don't wither away to nothing while you are at work. Please, mama?"

*sigh*. I should just stamp SUCKER on my forehead and be done with it. LOL

It's hard. But it's good for them to fast one day, to keep their digestive system healthy. I just remember that. A floaty, constipated goldfish as a sad, pitiful sight. :)

I know what you mean! :rofl Sometimes i replace fasting days with veggie days - still gets the intestines moving well :)

I try to observe them from afar on fasting days as I'm a sucker for the feed me dance ;)

You don't look at them. Being away helps( I gotta get my automatic feeder up and running) .

Fasting day is the only day I don't interact with them at all. I just turn on the lights and I disappear. :rofl

Fasting day is the only day I don't interact with them at all. I just turn on the lights and I disappear. :rofl

Me too! I have an automatic timer for the lights so I really just give the tank a once over to make sure everything is good and then that's it :P

I tend to travel a lot, so the travel days are the fasting days for the fish. It helps to not have to watch their pitiful little faces looking at me through the glass. :druel

(If I'm gone more than one night, my housemate feeds them...so they don't actually starve)

It really does seem like they do better with a fast day once a week.

Today is the dayi think I may actually do it.it is 8:40 am and I haven't fed them yet. This is a record for me. I've managed to hold out for an hour and forty minutes!

Today is the dayi think I may actually do it.it is 8:40 am and I haven't fed them yet. This is a record for me. I've managed to hold out for an hour and forty minutes!

:rofl

I wish you great success! :)

:rofl

I DID IT! Eleanor and Herzhey aren't quite as proud as I am, but I made it ALL day yesterday without feeding them. It helped that I had to work all day.

Haha yay! I know what you mean, though. When I give Mango a pea on a non fasting day, she's like, "What the heck is this junk?" and won't touch it, but when I give her a pea after a fast she's all about it. They're so funny :)

I guess I'm lucky. At my house, all the fish love peas, even the betta. After a fast day they gobble them up like candy!

:druel

They ate the peas. Then looked at me like, "okay, now where's our real food? Seriously, mom, where is it?"

I will have to remember the sheet trick next week. Or just tell my boss I need to work all day again. "Hey boss, I need to come in and work all day every Thursday so I can starve my fish, ok? Glad you understand." LOL

Edited by Eleanorsmom

I've had so many problems with SBD for a few fish that ended up dying from it (lowered immune system/exposed sores) them not eating for a day is a much better option and makes me feel not so bad.

Constipation with bettas is even worse. :doh11:

Imagine how i feel when i have to leave them for a whole week without food when i go on holiday. But none of them have died because of that yet...

Get a timer for the lights and then do not even bother with the tank that day. No problems that way. They won't see you coming so they won't look sad when you don't feed them.

Or, feed less, like half, for several days and then feed them warmed, de-shelled peas.

Have you heard the saying, "love them to death?" It is possible to love someone or something to death.

Sometimes we have to be "mean" to do what is best for the people and things we love. We have to tell children they can't do something they think they want to do. They tell us they hate us, but we have to do what is best for them and we have to live with their "hate." We can't share our chocolate with the dog, even though he's sitting there at our feet with the cutest face you've ever seen, so excited at the prospect of getting a taste of that heavenly treat.

It's for their own good. Don't love them to death.