Sign in to follow this  
kukana d

Probiotics And Antibiotics

Hey guys,I need to make some antibiotic(Metro) food and am wondering if it's ok to add probiotics-yogurt and acidophilus-to the mixture? Anyone? I know I drink yogurt when taking a/b,and wondered if it's ok for the finned ones also.

Metronidazole's activity is predominantly on anaerobic bacteria (not requiring oxygen), while the acidophilus and most other beneficial bacteria are aerobes (requiring oxygen). So the Metro isn't going to do much to the fish's good gut bacteria. However if you want to add probiotics to the mix, I don't see it as a problem at all. It may help, but it certainly won't hurt :)

i just wouldn't add yogurt. i don't think fish have the ability to process/digest that like many animals. try just adding acidophilus pills.

i just wouldn't add yogurt. i don't think fish have the ability to process/digest that like many animals. try just adding acidophilus pills.

Yup yup. No yogurt lol. Just the acidophilus if you are inclined to do so :)

I didn't add either-I'll give them their p/b on the other side of the medsbingo.gif