Fry Are Still Tiny

justnoskill

Okay, well my 2 calico's laid a ton of eggs, and I have a few babies left (after making many mistakes) there's probably around 15-20. They're in a 10G with a tiny little filter, they get fed twice a day with hikari first bites food, but they haven't grown all that much. Some of them are brown/bronze colored, and some are pure white. But some still have the biiig black eyes like the newly hatched ones. I didn't know they needed a heater, I will be getting one today.

I'll try to find a camera to take a picture of them, but no promises as the one one I know of in the house is my cell phone cam.

Also some of them are completely white, is that bad?

I hope I haven't done anything to stunt them or hurt them :unsure:

I didn't think they were small or anything till I saw other's babies on here that actually look like goldfish and not like...well, fry.

Thanks

Also some of them are completely white, is that bad?

Not bad at all....sounds like they're starting out as white "mattes" which I believe is the actual beginning of the calico color development. Here's a picture of Beetlejuice (Speck) who is a young white matte butterfly telescope in my tank for reference.

Image37.jpg

Can you estimate the length of the fish? And what breed?

At two months they should be bigger. My own fry was almost two inches long at that age, but they are single tails. For fancies, they should still be at least an inch, maybe even a tiny bit more at this age.

The first thing I notice is you got 15 - 20 in a 10 gallon container. How often and how much water do you change? What kind of filter? I used a sponge filter at first, and then at about 3 - 4 weeks of age added a 90gph filter that had its intake covered with a thick piece of foam. They are in a 10 gallon tub.

They got bi weekly 50% water changes, very careful when adding water back in. I increased the water changes to massive 85 - 90% water changes every five days when they hit the 2 month mark, but I have only FOUR fish. I just wanted to offer them water as pristine as possible during those very important months of their lives.

Mine got and still get fed three to four times a day. In the first month, they got fed 4 - 6 times a day. Hikari First bites, frozen baby brine shrimp, mashed up gel food, then the purple bag Saki Hikari which is their staple food since they are about 10 weeks old.

I hope this helps somehow :)

They are about 6-7cm and are ryukin/fantail mix.

I haven't done many water changes, I'm scared to suck them up. When I do water changes i use a cup and just scoop water out, prolly about 2 gallons a week.

The filter is like this one http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=small+aquarium+filter&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&resnum=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1668&bih=856&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18245025243246928666&sa=X&ei=k7chToLaEOTW0QGx4YChAw&ved=0CIcBEPMCMAA#ps-sellers

So I guess I need a better one.

and for the thick foam, do you think I could use a filter media sponge with rubber bands around the intake?

I'm thinking I could put my aquaclear30 in there and get a bigger one for my 40G (it has other filters that one is just the smallest)

6-7cm is a pretty good size then. That's about 2.5 inches.

But at this size, you need to feed them more than the first bites. Pellets will do now, and gel food, frozen foods etc.

Wait, at this size, your 10 gallons have to be really crammed. If they are the size of the little feeder fish at pet stores, then you can start to re home them or whatever you plan to do with them. If you want to keep them all, remember the 10 gallons per fish rule... that would be really A LOT of tank needed.

If they are really that big, you probably won't even have to cover the filter intake. Mine aren't covered anymore.

Oh wait, I just noticed that I read your first post wrong. Somehow I thought you said they are 2 months old. How old are they? What is the water temperature? Heaters are mostly useful during the first couple months to keep the temperature steady, and at a slightly warmer temperature of about 76F.

I am not sure if a heater is still needed now.

oh wow...I'm sorry. Been out of school waaay too long. I meant mm. Slightly smaller than 1/2 inch. *facepalm*

sorry :wall

I feel so bad. I can't seem to get this whole fish keeping thing right...like...ever.

*EDIT*

They are actually like 1-1.5 months old. again, my apologies.

Edited by justnoskill

LOL no, you're fine. 1 - 1.5 months, half an inch is small, yes.

I think you will need to increase the water changes. Do you ever test the water parameters?

Also, with all these fry in 10 gallons and only few water changes, there are probably a lot of growth inhibiting hormones build up, adding to the fish not growing right.

You can easily remove water with air line tubing that you use like a gravel vacuum. Get a piece of air line tubing, and a piece of rigid tubing of the right size to be able to force it into the soft tubing.

The rigid part is the end that you will use in the tank.

Just get a bucket, suck on the other end of the tubing to get the water flow started and use this mini gravel vacuum to clean the bottom of the tank and to drain the water carefully.

You can refill the tank the same way if you have a way to place the bucket with the fresh water higher up than the tank is.

Also, at this size I would NOT use another filter yet, unless it is a really weak filter with the intake covered!

Increase the feedings. Frozen baby brine shrimp will work too, mine basically grew up on this stuff :)

just wanted to update and say that after 2 more fry died, I decided to give them to a friend of my boyfriends who comes into the store a lot, they raise goldfish fry every year and know what they're doing. I'll probably try again in the future to raise fry, but for now I'll stick to adults and become more experienced.

I'm a little bummed, but at least now they'll probably live.

thanks again for all the advice

Well, you made the right decision then. If you didn't feel like you could make them survive, wait until you have more experience, like you said. Maybe I was just lucky, but it really doesn't seem hard to have fry survive. It goes by the same basic rules as adult fish, perfect water conditions, enough room and food.

The difference is that you have to be a lot more careful since the fry is so small and fragile.

Maybe you can somehow still keep us updated on their development :)