Sign in to follow this  
lynda441

Can The Food You Feed Affect Fishes' Fins?

I have been posting about my fishes' ragged fins trying to consider every possibility to figure out why they're ragged.

Blue's fins are definitely the worst. I thought they weren't getting any worse - they weren't getting better, but they weren't getting worse - but recently, they had some bad new damage. Toby has some recent, but moderate damage, but it's not getting worse although it's going veeeeerrrry slow at getting better. Chikoo's small tail split from her egg-laying chasing is taking a long time to heal as well, but it's trying. Jackson's damage is old and it's really hard to say whether he has any new damage, but it doesn't look like he has. Domino has no damage whatsoever.

The tank and everything in it remained the same, but the water sources are very different, but the damage has been going on since well before my move 8 months ago, so I can't blame it solely on the crappy water here, although I have to wonder if the crappy water is aggravating things.

I removed all the plastic plants three weeks ago. I have corrected, and am continuing to correct pH, KH and GH needs some boosting next. None of these things appear as though they're making any difference though. I am considering removing part of the gravel and boiling it a bit at a time, so that's a possiblity but, I want to look at everything anyway.

So, what I'm wondering is if there is a food that is especially good for fin healing and/or growth, if there are certain vitamins or nutrients that fish need or if I'm not giving them something that they need or if I'm giving them something that may be hurting them.

I don't vary their diet, pretty much mostly because I can't afford to buy a bunch of different foods. They get their gel food every night. These are the ingredients:

5 Packs Gelatin

1 1/4 Cups Water (bottled or filtered and dechlorinated)

1 Tablet Lactobacillus Acidophilus or other Probiotic Supplement

1 Tablet Multivitamin-Multimineral Supplement

1/4 medium red bell pepper, chopped

3/4 Cup fresh broccoli

1/2 Cup fresh kale, firmly packed, chopped (may substitute with any dark green leafy vegetable)

1/2 Cup fresh collard greens, firmly packed, chopped (may substitute with any dark green leafy vegetable)

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 egg white

1/2 Cup fresh fish/shellfish, cubed

3 T. paprika

1/2 tsp Flaxseed Oil (Substitution is okay as long as you choose an oil that provides Omega 3 fatty acids)

1/2 Cup canned pumpkin with no sugar or salt added or cooked carrots

The greens vary, but I always use 2-3 dark green leafy veggies, and I as I haven't been able to buy vitamins or acidophilus, they haven't had any of them in their last two batches of food (about 8 months).

Opinions? Ideas? Comments?

The only thing I can suggest is try changing and see.

How were things before you started making gel food? A lot of people here as you know have success with and swear by gel food and have no issues at all with it. I can't see anything wrong with the food nutritional content (its quite spicy with paprika- but I have no xp of this being a problem).

The only thing I can think of -having excluded flukes and all water issues- with prolonged ragged fins is stress and if something in the food is stressing their digestion I suppose theoretically this could result in less than perfect fin maintenance :undecided:

My fish have had food allergies but they displayed as immediate red flush or/and floatiness. Not ragged fins.

I'm sorry, not much help. Hope you get lots of feedback :)

have you tried feeding each ingredient (to a certain extent) alone?

I did that for one of my fish who was ALWAYS floaty. I fed all the ingredients in my gel alone - example, steamed spinach for a few days, steamed zucchini for a few days etc. And observed his reaction. Turns out it was the gelatin which made him floaty - I put all the ingredients he didn't have reactions to in a gel food made with Agar Agar and he hasn't had problems since.

Maybe but I wouldn't hold my breath. I think the best thing is some salt and extra large water changes.

Turns out it was the gelatin which made him floaty - I put all the ingredients he didn't have reactions to in a gel food made with Agar Agar and he hasn't had problems since.

I would have to agree with you. If it were anything, it would probably be the gelatin. I might try to see if I can find Agar Agar for the next time.

Maybe but I wouldn't hold my breath. I think the best thing is some salt and extra large water changes.

Well, see, the salt might help heal the damage, but it's not going to correct the cause. And, I already do large water changes of about 75% regularly. Plus, with my crappy water, when I put salt in it, the KH and pH crash to 0. That's why I'm adding akaline buffers now. And I haven't started my testing yet with the akaline buffer and adding salt to my qt tank to see if the pH will hold, so I can't use salt until I can find out if the akaline buffer will make my water pH stay stable when salt is added.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to find fault with my food. I love my food, but, like I said, I just have to consider every single little thing. It may be the gelatin like our little swiss miss mentioned, and changing that might help, and if it were a food allergy, it would present itself in ways other than ragged fins like Trinket said. I just wanted to talk this out out loud to see if anything clicked......... and.... even if it's not the food directly, if there is something I can do to improve my food, this is still something good to think about.....

Now Trinket said "only if the food were stressing their digestion." Makes me think.... could a goldfish get TOO MUCH fiber? And I didn't blend up my food as well this time. It's kinda chunky....... what is anyone's thoughts on too much fiber....?

The thing I notice first is that you have around 2.5 cups of "vegetables", but only 0.5 cups of fish/shellfish + 1 egg white. When I look at the nutritional info on commercial fish food there is usually around 40% protein.

Let's think about how the natural diet of goldfish includes a lot of bugs, larvae, smaller fish etc. Maybe your food is lacking protein? Instead of the flaxseed oil for omega 3s add some more salmon fillet or so, to also provide more protein.

Could be worth a try :)

Another thing, I also add paprika to my gel food, but only about 1 teaspoon, since I also add 2 garlic cloves. I wonder if it could be too "spicy" for them? :hmm

The thing I notice first is that you have around 2.5 cups of "vegetables", but only 0.5 cups of fish/shellfish + 1 egg white. When I look at the nutritional info on commercial fish food there is usually around 40% protein.

Let's think about how the natural diet of goldfish includes a lot of bugs, larvae, smaller fish etc. Maybe your food is lacking protein? Instead of the flaxseed oil for omega 3s add some more salmon fillet or so, to also provide more protein.

Another thing, I also add paprika to my gel food, but only about 1 teaspoon, since I also add 2 garlic cloves. I wonder if it could be too "spicy" for them? :hmm

Fang, this is as good a thought as any. All animals require a certain amount of carbs, proteins, fats on a daily basis. I've tried to keep the protein content in my gel food also to about 35-40% :)

You know, I got this recipe online and, quite frankly, I never questioned the proportions, but you're right! I'm going to add more protein next time! And, I'm going to cut back on the paprika too!

Now see? It's these tiny details I wanted to have a second pair of eyes look at. Thanks! Maybe it isn't the real root of the problem, but it certainly doesn't hurt to fix these issues too!