Roaches Living In Filter?

I am mortified to admit this but please remember that I live in the south and roaches are not uncommon in a clean house.

Anyway, for the past month or so I have been killing small roaches around my angelfish tank and only my angelfish tank. I have decided to redo the whole tank and and have started to tear it down. I removed the lid on the left filter and two antenna were sticking out of the media!!!! I pulled it out and quickly dumped it in a bucket before hauling the bucket outside. Outside I flipped the roach into the backyard before giving it a quick glance. It is red and about 1.5 inches. In the bucket the media sunk to the bottom and the roach was fine. I guess it can live underwater? Have you guys heard of this before?

I hope I can get rid of them today by cleaning the tank.

Do you happen to have a photo of the roach?

Too bad I can't help here. And I thought the GNATS in my filter were gross. I know what you mean about the South and roaches. Last year we had wood roaches come in occasionally. They do not really live indoors usually, and kind of got lost and ended up inside. But the heat and high humidity here sure is roach paradise.

Being from Hawaii,where roaches are a fact of life,they are not a big deal to me. It has been interesting to experience how few there are here in SoCal-but they are more visible this time of year-so I bought some roach traps the other day b/c I am not particularly fond of them! It's funny you should bring this up b/c last week when I was cleaning 1 of my betta tanks-1 popped right out of the filterwhatjust.gif I was very surprised,to say the least! I will e interested to hear from others on this too. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone,Ashleekrazy.gifdoh11.gifblink.gif

It was probably looking for a drink and fell into the filter. In the dry spring here in FL, the big native roaches (they're called "palmetto bugs" here) invade the house in huge numbers looking for water, getting in any space where the caulk has failed. Once the rain starts in the summer, they just stay outside.

It was probably looking for a drink and fell into the filter. In the dry spring here in FL, the big native roaches (they're called "palmetto bugs" here) invade the house in huge numbers looking for water, getting in any space where the caulk has failed. Once the rain starts in the summer, they just stay outside.

That makes me wonder, if THEORETICALLY it would be possible, to keep the roaches outside during the dry period by offering water in your yard, if you have one. The worst thing to happen is that birds will drink it and bathe in it.

I'm in Fort Lauderdale and thankfully have not had this issue yet... but believe I will be checking all my filters tonight! LOL. Leaving water out is a good idea BUT that is where mosquitoes lay their larvae. So you'd have a slim chance of keeping the palmetto bugs out but will be inviting thousand of mosquitoes to take up residence... and not only are they an irritant to us but to our pets also. Mosquitoes carry heartwoms so whether you leave water out, have standing water or even a pond be sure to keep up on you pets heartworm preventatives!! That sounds like a sales speal but I work at an animal clinic so... I see worse case scenarios everyday. Heartworms are a silent killer. Palmetto bugs are crazy because the larger ones (fully mature or maybe its a gender thing) but they have wings... AND FLY!!

I am hoping that the big red one was the queen roach and disposing of her in the yard will mean that no more will appear. I sent two smaller brown ones down the drain and smushed a few teeny black ones. I am assuming the teeny ones are babies :ill

If I get some roach bait and stick it in the stand, will that hurt the tank?

Oh yuck! :thud and I thought the white things in my betta tank were bad!

I moved to the south two years ago and never before have I seen roaches so big! You'd think there was a direct line from a NY subway station through a nuclear power plant and they just emerged super roaches! We call them Palmetto bugs around where I live now.. It may sound harmless but YUCK.

Thankfully I live in a planned neighborhood. It's practically demanded that pest control at least spray around the outside of the house. Plus all the power lines in my area are underground. No power outages. Ever. :D

Ok, one thing I gotta say though *crosses fingers* is that I have not yet experienced these palmetto bugs YET. I hope it stays that way.

Charms, also true about the mosquitos. Let me change the water bucket to an actual small pond full of gambusias!! LOL DIE, MOSQUITOES, DIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!! :rofl

See that's a good plan!! When I'm.out w/ the dogs at 6 every morning I'm literally swarmed by mosquitoes. Then the day its not so bad... But I look mad; pacing and swinging my arms, telling the girls to hurry and potty!!

Well I also live in a planned neighborhood with a routine pest guy. But I guess the lack of rain is driving them in. We also have a creek that runs behind the house, although it is pretty much dry right now.

Underground power lines are the best!!!!! The power went out during our snow storm in January but hadn't gone out for years before that. I think the last time was when I was in 8th grade or 8 years ago :rofl

I must admit that I was horrified by the idea of inch-long cockroaches before I moved to FL, but palmetto bugs are harmless. They don't breed indoors, but they can startle you when they run across the floor, and you do have to sweep up the dead ones, because they die if they can't get back outside. Doing a careful check of cracks in the house and caulking them will keep the bugs out even when it's dry. Roach bait works fine. They are nothing like the little imported roaches that can be almost impossible to exterminate and breed like crazy.

What blows my mind is that people will have someone come in and spray toxic substances in their house because of bugs that are mild nuisances. Even people with children. We have to treat for termites because they will eat the house. But that is all outdoors, and right at the edge of the house. I do worry about the ponds, but fish ponds (always called "koi ponds") are common here and the termite guys are trained to not contaminate them. We put ant bait out if we find a fire ant nest. I've sort of accepted the idea that aerial spraying for mosquitoes is less dangerous to humans than the diseases the nasty little buggers spread. But poison vs. harmless insects in the house is an easy choice for me.

Fang, I don't think setting out water for the palmetto bugs would help. They aren't social insects and thus don't scout for water and then all go to it. Any bug that found the water would drink and come back, but he wouldn't tell his buddies. A moat around the house might help, but we have water restrictions during the spring drought, LOL.

Edited by shakaho

Shakaho, you got me wrong. I was saying that to keep the bugs from coming inside to look for water, but instead drinking outside and getting he heck off my property afterward :D

Moat. That give me all new ideas. Lets have a moat full of koi around the house. LMAO

No, Fang, I understood, but just expressed myself poorly. Consider the size of a house to a roach. Unless the water completely surrounded the house so they couldn't help but bump into it (the moat), the only way that any substantial number of roaches would find the water and ignore the crack around the waterpipe, is if they acted like ants and the first gal who bumped into it took the info back to the nest. Otherwise you would expect the fraction of roaches who found the water and stayed outside to be proportional to the fraction of the circumference of the house that had watering pans.

Why am I saying this, anyway??? :unsure::doh11:

yikes koko! that is one creepy bug! we dont have roach problems here in upper MI but what we do have are earwigs

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/a-list/creature-countdowns/myths/images/earwig.jpg

these things are nasty and have a nasty pinch and they love water youll find them crawling along the tank lids and falling into the tanks the poor fish try nipping at them only to get pinched

Huh. I've seen earwigs all my life and never once been pinched by one! In fact I was quite sure they were harmless. :rofl

Maybe the ones I've seen were smaller not-big-enough-to-pinch earwigs. :idont