How To Remove A Piece Of Gravel From Fancy Goldfish

jeff1949

I finally realized why my Calico Fancy Goldfish is getting constipated weekly, or oftener. He has a piece of gravel about 1 - 2 inches inside his mouth. I couldn't get it to even move with tweezers. How do I get it out of him? Will he ever get it out? Will he eventually die because of the constipation weekly? Should he be euthanized? If so, how do I do it? :mytank1:

While this is not the right area for this topic, I would say that if you can't get the goldy to spit it out, I would try holding him "upside down" so that his head points toward the floor. If that doesn't work maybe sedating the goldy and trying with the tweezers again would work.

Good luck!

You can sedate goldfish with a low dose of clove oil. I don't remember the dosage though. You might have to do some searching on this forum or the internet in general.

Then the fish will hold perfectly still and you can use some tweezers with a rounded tip to try to get the gravel out.

Good luck! :)

Did you manage to get the gravel out or did he eventually grind it smaller and spit it out? Hope all is well.