Sign in to follow this  
kathyt

Adding Pro-gold To Gel Food Recipe

When I was talking with Ken from Dandy Oranda's, we got on the subject of food for goldfish. I had said I feed pro-gold, gel food, etc. He mentioned that adding pro-gold in a gel food recipe is a good thing to do. Do any of you do this? And how do you do this? I imagine you grind it up somehow, but do you moistened first? How much would you put in? I have one fish that seems to get floaty from the pro-gold, even when moistened. When I feed the others pro-gold, I put her in a colander and she gets other things. I wonder if pro-gold mixed in gel food would make a difference.

you just throw it in the gel at the end. just make sure you don't freeze it for too long as it can mess with the oils.

I make gel food all the time, but I have to say, I don't use processed, commercial food at all because... well, that's the point for me for why I make gel food. To get away from the processed food.

But, to do it with the intention of hoping to stop the floating, I can't really say for certain. The theory would be that the processing traps air in the food, so perhaps, mushing it up into a gel food might release that trapped air. The only way you'd know whether this would work for your fish would be to try it. It can't hurt and it just might help.

To know for certain, I wouldn't make the first batch of gel food out of anything but pro-gold. Then you'd know for certain whether it's the formation into pellets that causes the floating or whether it's the food itself.

I make gel food all the time, but I have to say, I don't use processed, commercial food at all because... well, that's the point for me for why I make gel food. To get away from the processed food.

To know for certain, I wouldn't make the first batch of gel food out of anything but pro-gold. Then you'd know for certain whether it's the formation into pellets that causes the floating or whether it's the food itself.

I agree about the point of making gel for the nutrition of adding non-processed food. But I think I will try this to see if the floating stops. And good idea about not adding anything else to learn if its pro-gold itself that makes her float or the formulation.