Sign in to follow this  
Mforman

New Member Looking For Help W/ Goldfish

Yep!!! That will be why he is bottom sitting! There is more gunk that needs to be expelled and with your fish it seems he is doing this through his body not his rear end.

It must come out. It is poison and he has to get rid of it somehow :(

I think you need to keep going and allow him more time. This whole bacterial cycle can take a very long time. In case things get worse - see if you can get your hands on a medication called Maracyn Plus by Mardel (a sulfa antibiotic that goes in the water NOT any other Maracyn like 2 or Maracyn or Maracyn TC which are not good where there are wounds and possible internal blood).

OR Triple Sulfa. by AP would also be good.

Don't get swayed or talked into any other antibiotic, sulfa meds are in my opinion best here. BUT not yet. Give him another few days. If this gunk is released he may perk right back up and it may be the last bout...all meds weaken after use so should be used only when really necessary.

So sorry that food hasnt got here yet, hopefully soooon! :)

Hi Trinket,

He's definitely not looking any better today. He didn't even really get up for his brine shrimp tonight. He's still oozing white liquid (not from a specific spot that I can find, I just see it's just swirling in the water near him) but not a ton. One of his eyes has gotten a bit cloudy today and it looks like some of his scales have started to stick out the slightest bit :(

I'll go get some of the sulfa drugs you recommended tomorrow, assuming I can find them and add them to the tank. He looks so awful, I don't know if he would survive a few more days to add the drugs then...

:( I'm soooo sorry to hear this.

The sticking out scales sound bad... you need to get meds in the water soon as you can. If you cant find any sulfa antibiotics (read the ingredients) try metronidazole or

a medication with nitrofuran so for example;

Binox (Jungle)

Bifuran + (AP)

Fishzole (metro)

Fungus clear (Jungle)

Fungus eliminator (Jungle)

Furan 2 (AP)

Metronidazole (Seachem)

Any of these might work. You do not want erythromycin or tetracyline.

Good luck. I'm praying for him.

Hi Trinket,

Just woke up this morning and found him still alive but he's lying on his side on the bottom of the tank. He doesn't even respond when I touch him to move him upright. I know he's dying right now, and I think it's probably too late for meds. Is there a humane way to handle this so he's not suffering? I can't really go out to a pet store for another hour or two since it's too early here.

Thanks for all your help Trinket, it made all the difference :)

Hi Trinket,

We (my boyfriend and I) decided to euthanize Hank this morning as he was clearly suffering. I truly appreciate all of the help that you've given me over the past couple weeks, and I know that he lived a bit longer because of all your suggestions and advice :)

Just been reading this whole topic through, I'm so sorry, he's such a gorgeous little fishy! I can't really give any advice but hang in there, you're doing a great job and goldfish are seriously tough fighters! So don't give in yet - you've got Trinket helping which is great as she's awesome! Praying for you and your fishy :)

Hi Trinket,

We (my boyfriend and I) decided to euthanize Hank this morning as he was clearly suffering. I truly appreciate all of the help that you've given me over the past couple weeks, and I know that he lived a bit longer because of all your suggestions and advice :)

Oh I'm sorry :( R.I.P. Hank!

I'm so very sorry :cry1.

It's a tough decision most of us have faced or will do :hug.

I wish I could have helped more.

:rip: little trooper :heart

:flowers Feel better Mforman, you worked hard and did what you could for him, you really did. :)

Oh, I'm so sorry. I've been following this thread, and was rooting for Hank. RIP!

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words :) We miss Hank but it's nice to know that he's not sick or hurting anymore.

Trinket, thank you for all of your help! Again, I don't think Hank would have lived as long as he did if not for your advice :)

It's a bit premature since we aren't ready to get a new fish quite yet, but if and when we do- what do we need to do to make this tank habitable?

Hi All,

I'm considering the possibility of getting another fish in a few weeks. Do you think that I can use the cycled tank or should I start over again? I don't want to cause any harm to a new fishy by putting it in an infected tank.

Also, do you think that it's ok to have a goldfish in a 10 gallon? I know bettas are supposedly good for 10 gal, but i really don't like them that much :/ I have a certain fondness for goldfish I guess :)

Thanks guys :)

Morgan