Sign in to follow this  
Mforman

New Member Looking For Help W/ Goldfish

UPDATE: I think it's just gunk coming out of his side. I looked up pictures of anchor worms and it's definitely not that. It seems like the gunk gets kind of stringy once it really gets into the water. He's been really perky since I changed his water and fed him... hoping for the best! :)

Good! I think you need to get a couple of large water changes done to clear the water of half dead bacteria that ooze out with the pus. The trouble with pus is it is full of semi dead micro organisms that are still capable of breeding :o and so the nasty cycle continues until you can reduce the amount of bacteria in the water via water changes.

I'm glad he ate peas. Keep with those for another day and then see if you can find some probiotic food for him. No more medication and focus on getting your cycle really nice and strong :)

I think he's going to make it :)

Will do. I've been changing about 4 quarts 2x's a day for the past 2 days since it seems like he is a lot more active once I put fresh water in... I'll do a couple big ones here over the next couple days.

Any recommendations on probiotics?

His sides are still oozing pus out of three different places now, since about 9am so about 9 hours. He's still eating and pooping like normal and periodically sitting on the bottom of the tank. Hopefully once all of the bacteria is out he'll start feeling better. So do you think that all of that nasty bacteria has been trapped inside him this whole time and causing the cysts? Poor guy :(

Thank you again for all of your help!

So do you think that all of that nasty bacteria has been trapped inside him this whole time and causing the cysts? Poor guy :(

Yes exactly to the above ^-^.

It's a question of getting it all out now.

The fact he's more active when you put new water in means he is appreciating the bacteria being removed!

Via water changes. Then, by keeping his healing good by feeding his immune response (in his tummy) the probiotics. These help rebuild the good bacteria in his GI tract and repair his immunity which has taken a nasty whack.

There are lots of probiotic added foods or you can make your own. Here's what I feed : Saki Hikari sinking pellets loaded with probiotics.

VFSH0098.jpg

Hi Trinket!

Just ordered some of the food from foster & smith. Think I should continue with peas until it gets here? Probably a couple days would be my guess. The food I have on hand are Aqueon slow sinking granules.

One spot on his side is still oozing, guess it's good that it's all coming out :) I'll just keep up with the water changes for now.

Thanks!!! :D

Always better out than in. Sounds good :D

Yes ..why not feed him various things until the probiotic food arrives? Have fun seeing what he likes :) Here are some of my fishes faves : krill, brine shrimp, banana (tiny weeny bit) brocolli (huge fave here ..just the flowery part) kiwi fruit, soft white rice grains and bloodworms :)

(Always vacuum leftovers up after half an hour as old food is a big bacteria producer. )

Hi Trinket!

Hank is loving the brine shrimp! I can't believe how much is in one of the little frozen blocks though! I barely used any of it and there was a ton of shrimp.

He's up and swimming around a bit more today which is great. Continuing with the water changes. Two more cysts appeared on his side today (ugh!) but I'm hoping that they will burst or go away shortly.

Just wondering, do you think that the dark marks on his sides and fins are ammonia burn?

Thanks again Trinket :)

I am fairly sure they must be. The fin tips discoloration looks a lot like how ammonia burn looks. These can also be caused by medications in the water (a reaction to them). As the fish heals they disappear.

I'm glad he likes the frozen brine shrimp, fun to chase :) You can refreeze the part of the block you dont need, you can shave off pieces with a clean cheese grater or knife and refreeze the remainder.

Also good to hear he is swimming about!! That's what our fish should be doing :D Well done so far, keep going with hauling out the released bacteria via water changes!

Any recommendations on a gravel cleaner? I bought one of the standard gravel vacs (plastic tube attached to hose) but I can't get the suction working!

Oh dear! Is it because the tank is high up and you are using the vacuum at a lower level. I had that problem :undecided:

Now I use an electric pump one that plugs in the wall..its soooooooooo easy. Only problem is you have to watch ALL the time or all the tank water is sucked up in seconds !! :yikes

So I guess it's good that I bought the new filter, since the original filter died today, ugh. The new one has been running for 7 days, so I'm hoping that there's enough good bacteria in there. Think I should throw the old "bio-filter" in the new filter? Also, think I should get a second replacement filter?

Any recommendations on a brand of gravel vac? You're totally right about the issues I was having with the siphon vac.

Water has been testing great (ammonia 0, p.h 7.6, nitrates/nitrites 0) but Hank is still sitting at the bottom of his tank a lot of the time :/ His sides are still black too and don't seem to be getting better.

Hopefully his probiotic food will get here soon!

Thanks Trinket :)

Keep going with plan A. The variety of food to boost immunity until the probiotics arrive. They will help. Meanwhile don't worry too much about the internal bruising. It is absolutely to be expected with as many cysts as he has had inside and is going to take weeks to heal.

It is absolutely crucial that you keep up with the pristene water and water changes, another filter yes!!!!! And add the old biomedia after a quick dunk in old tank water in a clean bucket just to release gunk but do not overclean it!! Its important those good bacteria remain in the media so we are talking about NOT squeezing or swilling around, just a quick dunk to release surface debris.

Apart from the internal damage he looks fantastic. Good strong fins (here is where stress shows and this proves he is not stressed) and reasonable color. These two facts with clear eyes mean he is fighting very well and just needs the extra time....weeks....and hope that probiotic food arrives soon :)

Hi Trinket!

Just ordered another filter (should be here Friday)- I got another Aquaclear 30 since the one I have seems really good. Dunked the old filter's biomedia and just crammed it in the basket with the carbon and biomedia in the current filter. Hope this is good enough!

I had no idea fish could bruise! :o It makes sense though after all of those cysts, like you said. The bottom sitting still concerns me but he has no problem getting up and swimming around when I give him brine shrimp!

Thanks again for your continued help- you're the only person who I've been able to get consistent, great advice from- so thanks! I'll keep you updated on Hank's progress :)

Quite literally JUST after writing that, he's started clamping his front two fins periodically. Definitely not all the time, but here and there and he is doing it mostly on one side :(

Can you see from behind the color of his gills? That is the meaty inside part under the hard gill operculum that looks like a superlarge scale behind his eyes.

Are they pale pink or brownish or dark raw meaty red?

Or are they also clamped shut?

Hi Trinket,

Good news, went out for a few hours and when I came home he had stopped clamping his fins- hopefully it won't happen again. As for his gills, I really can't see very far behind them (truthfully I've never really been able to so I don't think he's clamping them), but what I can see is a light pink color. I'm just not sure if it's just his body and not the actual gills. Also, not sure it helps, but his poos have been both the white stringy hair thin kind you mentioned and normal full of peas and brine shrimp...

Thanks again :)

Okay so it was probably just a one off. The poop sounds mixed, not completely better (chunky food color poop) but getting there we hope :)

The meaty part of the gill should be a bright red color, if you can see it. It's hard to see with many fish, when they yawn or eat you can see best. If the gills are lighter, pink for example he could be a little anemic. That would be understandable with the cysts and some slight internal bleeding.

Keep us posted :)

Hi Trinket,

Thanks for letting me know- I'll keep trying to see his gills. He's definitely not doing better today :( He is on the bottom of the tank almost 100% of the time and his breathing is very slow. When he is swimming he stops after a short period and just sinks to the bottom, no fin clamping though. He ate a little bit of pea this morning, and I've been keeping up with water changes (20% in the morning and at night).

Do you think that a salt bath would help? I certainly don't want to stress him out if it's not worth it.

Do you think that it's inhumane to be keeping his alive at this point? :( He looks like he's not feeling very good.

Oh no. I'm sorry he's taken a bad turn :( . Did the probiotic food arrive yet?

Let me read back your thread a minute and see what else you could do...you have salted him before right?

Anything you changed recently that would cause sudden bottom sitting? Temperature for example?

Give him a little down time. He's come so far and fought so hard and been through so much.I think it's more humane to keep giving him a chance! :hug

Hi Trinket :)

He's still here (I was fearing the worst on my way home) and got up and swam around for his brine shrimp. Now back to sitting on the bottom of the tank.

Temp's still the same, nothing changed that I can think of other than frequent water changes. I think I'm gonna limit the water changes for now since the tank seems pretty clean and I don't want to stress him out more. He started sitting a lot about 2 and a half days ago, he's just gone from occasionally sitting to all the time now.

I have salted the tank before, but I' sure all of it's gone by this point...

Thanks for the encouragement :) I'm really attached to the little guy and losing him is the last thing I want, I just didn't want him to be suffering.

Just wanted to add- there are these two little spots between his eyes, I think it's his nostrils, that I have been able to see before, but they seem to be bigger or more flared today. Not sure what this might indicate, if anything. He's been sitting in the same spot in his tank for about 2 hours now :(

Another pic? I cant think of anything nasty that might look like flared nostrils.

You can limit the water changes to every second day if your ammonia/nitrite readings are zero. But you still need to do some partial changes to clear any leftover bacteria out. If it is stressing him just go very slow .

I don't think you should worry about the bottom sitting too much just yet. Fish do this. If he is still eating and his fins look good (not ragged or limp or clamped) then he may just be taking time out, feeling sore inside.

My fish do have bouts of bottom sitting when they are not 100% well, which he is not yet. It doesn't mean the end..and it is actually a less serious symptom and preferable to floating near the surface.

Has the probiotic food arrived? Do you have surface splash/bubbles going? Remind me :)

I hope he is still eating. You can add 0.1% salt. That is one level teaspoon per gallon of tank water dissolved first in a cup of tank water.

Hi Trinket :)

Thank you for the advice. I'll be sure to keep up with the water changes every other day. Do you think 15% is enough or should I change more?

The probiotic food is is still not here :( But he is still eating his peas and brine shrimp for now. It's supposed to be here Tuesday at the latest but I hope sooner!

I saw a poo this morning and it was a mixture of brown normal looking poo and white string like poo. Also, when he's actually swimming around he's having trouble staying upright and it seems like he almost gets worn out and has to stop and rest. His breathing is pretty slow when he's sitting but then is pretty rapid after he swims around.

For the water, I have the one aquaclear filter splashing on the surface a bit and there's a big airstone (1.5") in there as well. Ordered another AQ filter that should arrive today or tomorrow.

Here's a picture of his "nose"- not sure if it's just stress or what, but it seems larger than normal...

IMG_4662.jpg

Thanks for the support :)

Edited by Mforman

Update: saw a white cloudy liquid coming out of his side (I think) it was kind of swirling around his body so I can't tell if it's something he pooped or if it's coming out of a cyst... perhaps more of the cyst fluid?