Sign in to follow this  
Mforman

New Member Looking For Help W/ Goldfish

It's ok. Just dial the current in the AC30 down to the minimum setting :)

Thanks :) Do you think the filter is big enough? It's for "10-30 gallon" but I know the packaging often doesn't quote what you really need...

What filters are you using? This is a 10 gallon, right?

Hi Dnalex,

Yup, it's a ten gallon. The filter on there now is an aquatech 5-15 (this one) and I plan to keep it on with the AQ filter at least until it cycles. Does adding a new filter still cause a cycle bump even if the old one is still on?

Thanks!!! :)

There should not be any cycle bumps. After a week or so, your new filter should be seeded also. However, I would just leave both of them running if your fish can handle it. More filtration is better :)

Yep the two on will be good, can't get a cycle bump usually with more filtration, only with less and the better filtrated water is helping clear this, he looks a lot better in the latest pic. He is definitely fighting back .

Keep going, it is going to take another week or so at least of constant daily partial changes and finishing up the med food course.

Can you place the filters so you get splashing water on the surface of the water. This is how oxygen enters the water for him.

Alrighty, both filters are going strong (. Dropped the water level a bit so that there will be more space between the bottom of the filter and top of the water. He seems OK (occasional flipping) with the current, but the plants are moving a lot- how much current is too much?

The AQ filter has biomedia in it which is good :) I always thought that the airstone was enough surface agitation to keep the tank oxygenated...

A couple other things I've been considering: The tank has been at about 73-75 degrees here lately. Think that's too hot? Also, we have pretty hard water here, and although I always treat the tap before using, we get the white buildup on the tank and filter. Think this could have any negative effects?

Again, thank you so much to all of you :-)

How hard is your water? In general, hard water is considered good for goldfish, because it will serve to buffer your tank pH against sudden drops.

Tank temps of 73-75 is fine. During the summer months, we set our thermostat inside at 77, and the tank is also at 77. The fish do just fine. During winter, the house thermostat goes down to 70-72.

I'm honestly not sure how hard the water is, but enough to get lime buildup around the tank. Ph has been testing in a good range (7.6) so I guess that's not an issue :-)

So he's been sitting at the bottom of the tank a lot since I put on the 2nd filter. Think he's just getting used to the current or it's something else? Just gobbled up a pea, lol.

So he's been sitting at the bottom of the tank a lot since I put on the 2nd filter. Think he's just getting used to the current or it's something else? Just gobbled up a pea, lol.

Could be, but keep a close eye on him to see how he adjusts.

Hi All,

Hank's still doing alright. His side is still a dark gray color and a few of his fin tips are black but he is eating normally. His swimming is ok, periodically turning sideways when he swims. Not sure if it's an issue or just a personality quirk...

He's still periodically sitting at the bottom of his tank which concerns me. His ammonia had been testing at 0 and the ph is still 7.6. Ordered a nitrate/nitrite test today so will post stats once I get it. I've been feeding 6-7 antibiotic granules in the morning and a pea at night. Doing 15% water changes daily.

I suppose all we do is wait now and see if he continues to heal and improve over the next few days.

Thanks again for all of your help, suggestions and positive outlook. I don't think Hank would still be around without your help!

Hi again. Im glad hes eating that food! It has to help :) I would meanwhile be doing much larger water changes at least half the tank, really. You need to get the toxins out of the tank and they are being released in poop and excreted constantly.

Hey Trinket,

I'll start doing larger water changes everyday from here out. He's sitting on the bottom in the back corner of the tank a LOT more frequently since I got home from work yesterday :-( Which is frustrating... he was doing really well the day after I put the 2nd filter on.

The water level in his tank is lower so the filter water splashes, and I've turned off his airstone since it seems like he has a rough time swimming through it right now (flips him over). Do tanks really even need airstones?

I'm still feeding him 6 or 7 jungle pellets a day and one pea and he still has a healthy appetite which Im thinking is a good thing.

Thank you for your continued help!!!! :-)

Hello! I'm not really much help here but I wanted to wish you good luck and let you know that air stones are very important :) If there is a valve to control the amount of air coming through, it would be best to just turn it down instead of shutting it off.

Hi guys,

I took a recent picture of his side this morning, it's been about the same for the past few days. Think I should try him on the antiparasite food?

IMG_4658.jpg

Hello! I'm not really much help here but I wanted to wish you good luck and let you know that air stones are very important :) If there is a valve to control the amount of air coming through, it would be best to just turn it down instead of shutting it off.

Thanks!! :-) I didn't even know I could turn it down! Will do.

Just got the rest of my test kit! Nitrate and Nitrite are both 0ppm, Ammonia 0ppm and pH is 7.6. Hanks still sitting on the bottom of his tank pretty frequently... not sure what else can be done other than continuing the routine. Fed him a little bit of brine shrimp :-)

Thanks!! :-) I didn't even know I could turn it down! Will do.

Yep! If yours doesn't have a valve you can get one to put on the tubing. It may be worth it if the bubbles are really bothering your little guy. It's really easy to "install" lol.

You got some good advise here and I wish Hank a speedy and total recovery :)

Thanks!! I hope he perks up here soon.

Trinket, he's been on the antibiotic meds for about 6 or 7 days now. Think it's time to stop giving them?

Thanks!!! :)k

Its up to 10 days...hmm. How's he doing now?

Any new cysts?

Hi Trinket,

He has developed a couple small bumps on his right side tonight and his left side looks a bit lumpy too. The dark color on his left side seems to be getting a tiny bit larger (almost streaking) and his right side is getting darker too. I want to see it as ammonia burn, but it seems as though it's on the skin and not the scales. He's been sitting at the bottom of his tank pretty regularly since yesterday too. Just took him out of a 15 min epsom salt bath to hopefully help with the lumps. There was a small amount of normal looking poo in the bath when I took him out.

I don't know what to do about the antibiotics... I don't want to stop giving it too early but I also don't want to damage his kidneys by giving it too long. Do you think that we should try giving his the anti parasitic medicine? I'm not sure what else to do for him other than regular water changes. I've been continuing with a pea a day and also gave him a little bit of frozen brine shrimp today.

Thank you for your continuing help. I'm not sure what I would have done without all of your help and suggestions :)

There doesn't seem to be a simple fix here does there :( I am inclined to think the antibiotic food is not helping much since he is still getting more lumps :unsure:.

In which case i would finish the course (he is a small fish and you have done between the two rec doses of 5 to 10 days) and start instead to feed just the peas for a day, give him a break while we ponder the anti parasite meds.....

Definitely keep on top of those water changes. I can't stress how those will help after the ammonia exposure.

I think the one epsom dip was enough as if he has some bleeding inside you don't want to risk doing too much of that.

Hang in hun! :heart He can beat this with your help we all hope :)

Hi Trinket!

Sounds good, we're set for peas tomorrow. Think one in the morning and one at night is too much? I'll continue with the 50% water changes daily also.

Hopefully he'll improve soon. I'm happy to know that we've done as much for him as we can at the moment :) Thanks so much for continuing to post and help Hank (and me :-P) out!

Sounds good, we're set for peas tomorrow. Think one in the morning and one at night is too much? I'll continue with the 50% water changes daily also.

Yes, this sounds like a plan. Just the right amount. Make sure they are nice and soft as his digestive tract must be very narrow right now all clogged up in there...

The new second filter/media has to kick in soon and those new good bacteria are going to help him.

I'll keep checking back on ya :)

Hi Trinket,

So Hank got his pea and water change this morning :) It's about the only time I've seen him up and swimming around.

So this morning his left side is pretty pointy and his right side has white stuff coming out in one spot. I've looked really closely to try and determine if it's a pointed white worm or if it's just gunk coming out. I honestly can't tell at this point, but I'll continue to watch. It looks like there may be a spot on his left side doing the same thing.

Here's a pic:

IMG_4659.jpg