Sign in to follow this  
Mforman

New Member Looking For Help W/ Goldfish

I just noticed that there is black on the tips of his smaller back fins that wasn't there before... is this more signs of bad bacteria?

Black on fins is usually indicative of healing ammonia burns. As long as you take care of the water, this should disappear soon :)

It's ammonia burn :( It appears a week or more after ammonia has surged.

You really badly need the extra water volume of the 10 and more filtration media.

My poor little guy... the strange thing is that his ammonia has been testing at 0, both with my kit and the one from the LFS. We have the filter going in the new tank and Hank in a bag in the tank getting acclimated to the water temp. Planning to transfer him in in about 15 minutes.

Also, Trinket, what are your referring to when you mention "filtration media"?

Thanks!

Hank is in his new tank. He seems to be alternating between swimming and sitting at the bottom of the tank. Hope that this is not a bad thing... Planning to add salts soon...

These.

This is where your ammonia converter good bacteria make their home.

Here -and in the top 2cms of your gravel- if you have it (under that is the bad bacteria).

You probably have chemical filtration media like this:

filterflosscloseup.jpg

yes?

You also need this kind for bio filtration (best breeding ground for healthy bbs and robust cycle :

andcurlybits.jpg

or/and this kind:

2009113014320000.jpg

Thanks Trinket,

We have a bio filter (it's a white meshy square) in the actual filter. Any good bacteria in the gravel I guess is now gone since we put all new gravel in the 10 gallon tank.

Should we get a larger filter than the one we have? (it's recommended for tanks 5-15 gallons)

Also, Hank is now just sitting at the bottom of the tank... should I be worried/doing anything to help?

Thanks again!

Is the new water temp same as what he was in?

Did you check new pH?

It is normal for fish to be shy in anew home for a short time, a few hours at least.

Especially since he hasnt been in top shape.

Yeah, the idea is to cram as much as you possibly can of this kind of media into a filter space. The good bacteria like AIR ..they are aerobic. They like to have splash on them which is why they only live on the surface of your gravel/ornaments and tend to thrive most in the filter where the water is gushing over them

constantly :)

Another filter NEVER hurts. Can never have too many :) Only problem is trying to fit them on!! Lol. Also if you have two aim to separate so you get best circulation all over the tank.

Did you salt yet? 0.1% salt should help, need to check ammonia and pH first.

Hi Trinket,

Again, thank you so much for all of your help.

The water was the same temp (maybe 1-2 degrees off) but we acclimated him in a baggie on the surface first. Haven't tested Ph (we don't have a kit.. will buy one asap) ammonia is 0 though. Hopefully he'll warm up to the new tank in the next couple hours.

In addition to possibly getting another filter, what other bio filtration media do you recommend getting? I can't remember seeing any in the store (i wasn't really looking though).

Thanks!

We have a bio filter (it's a white meshy square) in the actual filter.

I doubt this is enough. Seriously. Next purchase should be bio media. Even just a small handful will help. What you have is called chemical. Its a floss type that removes gunk and dirt from the water. You need breeding ground for bbs, they like porous rock type media as in pics I pasted.

Also, I think you may have a cycle bump with the transfer Im afraid .......new gravel.......larger space. So you need to watch that ammonia like a hawk for some weeks.

Sounds good. Should we just buy some of the bio-filter rocks and put them in with the gravel?

Also, what is a cycle bump? We will be sure to test the ammonia multiple times daily to watch the levels.

Just added .1% of salt as well.

Thanks!

Good on the salt. It was rock/sea/aquarium at 10 dissolved teaspoons yes? Just checkin' :)

Yes you can scatter the bio media ceramic hops in the gravel but best of all is actually in the filter box, you'll get double or triple dividends with them in a dark highly aerated place like a filter box. Cycle bump means you lost some good bacteria so ammonia (or nitrites) suddenly spike and you may not even notice but the fish will.

pH test next up! pH being stable is very important.

He seems to be warming up to the tank in the last few hours which is great. We used kosher salt for the tank (your instructions were great) and I plan to continue over the next 24 hours.

Shopping list now is ph test kit and bio media ceramic hops for the filter :-)I'll update later and let you guys know how Hank's doing.

Thanks again Trinket, you're the best.

So glad we could all help you and see your adoreable fish into new larger digs :) I'll move this thread into diagnosis and discussion and we would love to hear updates and discuss more there as you go along with the new plan :goodjob

Hi All,

Just a quick update on Hank's progress!

He's doing better but still has small bumps on his sides, we are still giving the antibiotic food and one pea a day. Hopefully he will be completely better soon. It seems like his color has faded too but not sure if I'm just imagining it!

New tank seems great, the ammonia has been testing at 0 twice a day and Ph is right around 7.5-7.6.

Still searching for good filter to add for the biomedia since it seems like the one I have is too small to add biomedia to. Has anyone tried an Aquaclear filter?

Thanks again!!

LOL. Many people here have AquaClears. They are quite good! I highly recommend it :)

Hi All,

It seems as though Hank is doing better, although he does have a spot on his side that is bothering me. It looks almost like some scales are missing. The area appeared white about 4 days ago but is now getting a darker red/brown color. Tried to take a picture...

Any idea if it's bad or perhaps a sign of healing?

Thanks guys for helping me so much :-)

IMG_4629.jpg

This could be another cyst forming or an old one subsiding/reabsorbing. Have you seen any poop - is it stringy or hair thin? food colored?

Is that pH holding steady? How did you go with adding more media :)

And is he managing to eat a few Jungle pellets morning and evening?

Hi Trinket!

Ph was been holding at 7.5-7.6 for the past 2 days I have been checking it. Hank seems to have no problems eating some of the jungle pellets in the morning (5-6) and a pea at night. Some some poop in the tank yesterday and it was hair thin, mostly whitish with a little brown.

As for the media, I haven't added any yet since I've been doing research on purchasing another filter (w/biomedia) to add to the tank with the current one. Think it would be better to just go ahead and throw some in the current filter?

Other than his side, Hank seems really good- normal energy, eating...

Thanks!!!

Hi All,

Tried to get a better pic tonight. Also, poo seems normal today (thicker, food colored).

IMG_4633.jpg

Just in the past hour a small angular bump has risen up on his right side and the spot on his left (the one in the above pic) has gotten darker :-(

Here I was getting my hopes up that he was getting better :-(

Ammonia still at 0 and ph 7.5. Prepping for a small water change now...

IMG_4655.jpg

Edited by Mforman

Poor wee thing :( Any chance of a close up of his gills ? (I mean the part behind his eyes that is slightly open when he eats, where fish transfer gases) It looks like one of them -that left one-may be very swollen but I'm not completely sure, another pic would help. Is he gasping at the surface at all? And do you have lots of splash on the water surface, always helps.

You need to continue with the Jungle med food and if possible morning and evening to get plenty of meds into him in the 5 days. At the end of 5 days you can tell if it has helped/review.

Don't give up on him, he is somehow coping, you must be doing right for him to be up off the bottom and swimming round in spite of all.

Right now, what I'm seeing is more of the same cysts, like his tiny little body is packed with poisons and blocking his digestive tract creating hair thin poop and meaning he may lose appetite again..hopefully not!! The best way to keep up his strength is to keep on top of those partial water changes morning and night, he needs 100% ammonia free water right now...this is no time for cycling.....check your ammonia daily. pH sounds steady, that is good :)

Hi Trinket,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! The bump that appeared last night was gone this morning- how strange! The only thing that changed yesterday in his ritual was that I added more water to the tank (some evaporated).

His sides still looks irritated, but that's been going on for a couple days. I did a salt dip (in an epsom salt hospital tank) last night and he pooped out some of the pea that I had fed him earlier which I'm guessing is good. He's gasping at the surface, but it's only when I put food in his tank, so I'm thinking it is a "yay I'm getting food" behavior... There is a 1.5 inch airstone in the tank that agitates the surface a lot. We fill the tank up pretty high since the filter current tends to push him around if it's too strong.

The ammonia and ph has been the same for the past couple days checking in the morning and at night. I'll give him his food in the morning and night now... I was just worried about overfeeding him.

I think I'm also going to get another filter and some biomedia today and add that to the tank with what he's got.

Thanks for all of your help with my little fish :-)

Close up of side and left gill (taken this morning):

IMG_4656.jpg

Just bought a new larger filter today- an aquaclear 30. Is it OK to add that one on with the other filter to let it cycle? He's so delicate right now I would hate to cause any change in the water...

Also, I've seen him bottom sitting a little bit :-( I'm hoping it's because it's warm (tank about 70 degrees) or is being caused by the antibiotics (heard that might be a side effect).