I Have Babies !

rlw

About a week ago I took some hornwort and anacharis out of a few different tanks and put into smaller tanks near the window. I was planning on letting it grow a bit and adding it to a bunch of my betta tanks. This morning I was looking at it and saw something move. I counted five babies in the anacharis tank and eleven in the hornwort tank. They're about a 1/4" long with little black eyes...so tiny. I have no clue what to do...help....lol.

2011-07-10200915481.jpg

2011-07-10200911131.jpg

2011-07-10200911051.jpg

1/4 inch in a week without "being cared for'' is pretty good! Can you get your hands on frozen baby brine shrimp? My fry loved that stuff.

How big are the tanks they are in right now? Do they have filters? If not, make a sponge filter for each tank. Small water changes, careful when adding water back in so the force of the new water won't injure the fry :)

Right now they are in two pretty tiny tanks...one is a maybe 1 1/2g and the probably 1/2g...no filters. If I need to move them to something bigger I have an empty 20L, 10 and a few 5's. I have no clue how to make a sponge filter but I will make a run to the store for the baby brine shrimp. This is all new to me, never had to take care of baby fish before today. I hope they all survive...kind of exciting...kind of scary.

I took the plants from my husbands tank of commons and my tank that has a ryukin,orandas and telscopes...so I will have to wait and see...lol

I would go with the 20 long. Keep the water level BELOW 6 inches for now.

How I made my sponge filter. Items needed:

1.5 inch diameter pvc pipe. About 5 inches long.

1 ceramic tile

air pump with tubing and air stone (I used a pump for 20 - 60 gallon tanks)

aquarium silicone / sealant

soft filter foam/floss

rubber bands

Drill about dozen holes into the bottom two thirds of the pvc pipe, and one hole higher up near the upper end of the pipe.

Through the higher up hole, lead the airline tubing into the pvc pipe, then attach the air stone.

"Glue" the pvc pipe to the ceramic tile with the aquarium sealant. Make sure the end with more holes is the end that is attached to the tile. Let it cure for 48 hours.

Now you should have a tile base with the 5 inch pvc pipe on it like a pillar, with the air stone at the bottom inside the pillar, tubing running through the top hole.

Now take the filter floss, wrap the pvc pipe "pillar" in it, covering the entire two thirds of the pipe that has holes in it. You can fix the floss in place with rubber bands.

Put the sponge filter in the tank, turn the air pump on. The air bubbles will rise inside the pvc pipe from the bottom up to the water surface. Thanks to physics, this will draw water from outside through the floss into the pipe, pushing it out of the pipe at the top with the air bubbles. BBs will establish in the floss like in your regular filter.

Of course this filter is rather weak and basically nothing but biological filtration. It will NOT remove waste particles, but take care of the toxins :)

The finished product in my case looks like this. I turned the air pump off for this photo. A sponge filter like that will additionally aerate the tank water and keeps it from getting stagnant :)

http://i82.photobuck...ryday2101-1.jpg

Now I know they are ryukin...I just saw one baby swimming in my 75g. All the 6 ryukins in my signature are in that tank. I took a few gallons of water from my 75g to put the plants into about a week ago. I guess I got some babies too. I know a week or more ago I woke up and turned the tank light on two different days...some eggs in the tank and cloudy water.

I don't know if it was the same baby but now I'm sitting in front of the 75g watching and waiting. I just scooped one out and put with the others. I don't know how they survived in the 75g, after I saw the eggs I did big water changes and pulled all of the java fern mats out and cleaned algae off of them.

congrats! luckiest babies ever! :) I know the pet megastores usually have frozen baby brine shrimp if you need them, and if desperate the penguin sponge filters (for waaaaaay to much money, thank you marineland)

I just had a thought too, if you have a betta breeder near you then would have microworm cultures and a brineshrimp hatchery going, maybe they would share?