Sign in to follow this  
Charms

Ideas For This Tall, Odd Shaped Tank...

Crap! It IS 19 inches... that is going to be correct because I literally measured it right before making that post! THANKS RED!! Its a random bucket/container that has a seam on the inside top and using a 1 gallon water jug I filled it and it holds 4 gallons to the seam. That way I can fill that and hubby carts it across the apartment and into the tank for me. I feel like an idiot now ... (*embarrassed*)

I am going to measure again when I get hone, and post them immediately... and for depth do you just measure from the bottom inside to the top? Sorry for so many posts but I'm on my phone.

To be really accurate for water volume, yes you can measure from inside. :)

Use the hex calculator I posted above, because there is a mathematical formula for measuring hexagons, but I can't remember from high school math. LOL that's 20+ years ago. Just measuring across doesn't work because the square corners are missing.

Got it. Thanks for your help, its much appreciated. I'll use the calculator w/ the (CORRECT) measurements when I get home and clear this up for good!! I still feel so silly!! My hubby is gonna get such a kick out of this!!

Don't feel silly! I was confused on how the accurately measure it too! :)

Ok using the calculator helpfully supplied by Red and the right measurements... it says "According to your measuments the tank has a capacity of: 19.13 gallons and will weigh around 187 pounds when full".. Sorry for being so insistent on the wrong size, I feel silly about it. Thanks for catching the mistake, Fang! I'm pretty set on apple snails for this tank and have been doing a ton of reading on applesnail.net. Snails are way more popular than I imagined and I'm excited to get my first ones! I'm currently cycling the tank and am going to order some plants on saturday. Where do you guys get you plants online from? Any tips on the best or better plants to have w/ the apple snails? Thanks, Jessica

Ah ok, now that explains it. It DID look a bit wide for 9 inches, which is why I kept asking LOL

If you want any Vallisneria for it, I could send you a few stalks of it. It grows very fast and can get very tall. I mow mine down periodically and it's back to full height (20g tall in my case) within 2-3 weeks. I could send you trimmed pieces or untrimmed.

It's either the nana variety or americana variety...It has really long thin leaves with no twisting.

I think cardinal tetra's would be fun :) but Im quite partial to them. Or go brackish and do a colonie of bumble bee gobies! :)