Sign in to follow this  
Midnight112x

Ammonia Burn Goes Away

How long does it take for ammonia burn marks to go away typically? My goldie has them on her because i let the ammonia slide a little. (its back down to just about zero)You can see in my siggie below. She asked me to take a picture from her good side which has less burns. :ymmu

She looks marvelous!

I am trying to remember how long it took. If they arent bad, it shouldn't be very long. The ammonia burns on my fish went away quicky and they looked worse than what I saw on your fish.

thanks Grace. But one side is worse than the one here. by the way thanks again for your help not too long ago this week. All my numbers (ammonia, nitrate/nitrite are zero again) Hopefully the cycle completes soon

Hello. The black could take a while to disappear. It may be 2-4 weeks before they are gone completely.

Hopefully, things will continue to go well. And with you keeping an eye on your paramters, you should be in good shape. :)

I just read Alex's post and I want to say that it was probably less than 2 weeks for it to go away on my fish.

I just read Alex's post and I want to say that it was probably less than 2 weeks for it to go away on my fish.

Absolutely, with excellent care of the water, it can be much sooner :)

Absolutely, with excellent care of the water, it can be much sooner :)

Yep, I really, really kept an eye on the water. I wish I could remember the exact amount of time it took.

update on goldie, its been about 8 weeks since she started with the burns and they are still here. :unsure:

Water quality has been perfect i have even seen nitrites on 2 or 3 occasions. Looking at one of the burns it looks like it could be getting smaller but that could be just me, wishfull thinking...

At least the burns havent gotten bigger. I just wanted to share my experience i know there is nothing we can do

So it doesn't look like they have really changed in 8 weeks?

Will you upload some pics, please?

SAM_0228.jpgno hasnt changed much. I know my test kit works for ammonia also, because before i came on kokos i had reading of 2ppm of ammonia at times. I will try and take pictures. In the meantime maybe you can check my video. You can see her burns pretty well towards the end of the video when i go top view. She is the largest fish, the oranda. She is approx 7 years old according to my fiance (she got her at a fair a long time ago) Edited by Midnight

What is your water change routine now? How big is your tank? Have you tested your tap for ammonia?

i change 50% every 3 days. The ammonia never gets above .25. My tap doesnt have ammonia, i did test it... Maybe i just wait and see. She looks very healthy and happy otherwise

Yeah, that's really all you can do at the moment. The thing to keep in mind is that the black only comes on AFTER healing has commenced. So, you're ok :)

i wanted to update everyone here on this. One "spot" where she had black burns is gone. It was the smallest one and the only one on her right side. I am certain it is gone now. For goldie, i would say it has been 2 months (about) that it took for her burns to start going away