Colored Glass Fish And Colored Tetra

Do you mean the ones that are artificially dyed? If so, I don't think any of the members here owns such fish. Dying fish is considered animal cruelty. It causes the fish a lot of pain and stress and usually the fish don't live for very long. It is kind of like tattooing the fish, but when you think of how much smaller the fish is in comparison to the needle used, you can see how harmful and painful that is for a fish.

Do you mean the ones that are artificially dyed? If so, I don't think any of the members here owns such fish. Dying fish is considered animal cruelty. It causes the fish a lot of pain and stress and usually the fish don't live for very long. It is kind of like tattooing the fish, but when you think of how much smaller the fish is in comparison to the needle used, you can see how harmful and painful that is for a fish.

Yea I saw some at a LFS today and I wanted to get some but decided I would do some research first. It was obvious that the color was not natural but I never imagined they did such things just to add the color :(.

Can you specify what you mean by colored Tetra?

They were just called colored tetras. I'm guessing they were artificially dyed

Yeah, that's what I was afraid that it meant. :(

Yeah, that's what I was afraid that it meant. :(

Yea :( good thing I didn't buy them. Are parrot fish also dyed?

GloFish (the fish you see in the tanks that are completely one color of either bright green, yellow, etc) are genetically altered zebra danios, but once the fish has been altered their offspring automatically inherit the coloring, so the fish you are purchasing are most likely not directly genetically altered. Still, most people are on the fence about these fish.

Here's more info on the GloFish if you're still interested.

If the parrot fish are colors like purple or blue or any color other than what looks like yellowish (those can sometimes be dyed too,) or orange then it is most likely dyed.

Normally the only fish who have such bright colors are salt water fish, though there are some fish that are very brightly colored naturally (such as guppies and platys)

GloFish (the fish you see in the tanks that are completely one color of either bright green, yellow, etc) are genetically altered zebra danios, but once the fish has been altered their offspring automatically inherit the coloring, so the fish you are purchasing are most likely not directly genetically altered. Still, most people are on the fence about these fish.

Here's more info on the GloFish if you're still interested.

If the parrot fish are colors like purple or blue or any color other than what looks like yellowish (those can sometimes be dyed too,) or orange then it is most likely dyed.

Normally the only fish who have such bright colors are salt water fish, though there are some fish that are very brightly colored naturally (such as guppies and platys)

Thanks for the link, but I don't think glowfish are sold in California :(.

I believed they are banned there. Cause they do breed true the government is afraid they well get into the ecosystem. I like them.

Glofish are banned in CA, it's unreasonable and the people breeding them do not want to pay fees CA want them to to get them legal there.

I would mention here that I suspect glofish may have health problems from being inbred. All of mine have died off, often had bent spines while the wild colored danios survived. I probably had about ten of them counting replacing them once. They lived in a planted 29 gal. I now feel that I should mention this to anyone who potentially wants them. I really did like them and plan to try again sometime. This time I will hopefully be able to document what 's going on and find out if they are either inbred or I'm doing something wrong with their care.

As Oerba Yun Fang mentioned, many of us feel dying fish is immoral. I would encourage people interested in such fish to do their research. I know people are going to buy them anyways, otherwise they would not be sold anymore.