Sign in to follow this  
Helen

Perfect Gelfood Portions

i use the empty trays of the hikari bloodworm. i gently wash them and store them for when i make gelfood for my fish.. here's what they look like filled with gelfood.. we couldn't be happier.. looool :angelstaf:

gelfood.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

clever! I use ice cube portion thingis.

very good idea! I will have to remember to start saving mine.

What a clever and efficient idea Helen! ;)

But goodness, the gel food looks like vanilla pudding! What's in there exactly? :o

I've done this w/ ice trays too and it was a real mess!doh11.gifTo me it's easier to let it set then cut it into cubesbingo.gifHelen,can you use the trays more than 1x for the gel?

But goodness, the gel food looks like vanilla pudding! What's in there exactly? :o

steamed prawns x 6 (medium)

steamed scallops x 8 (reds removed)

steamed freshwater fish (80gms)

Baby Spinach (boiled) (handfull)

Cucumber (boiled) (20gms)

pumpkin (boiled) (can't remember how much - just a chunk i guess)

Garlic x 1 medium clove)

1/2 cup tank water

all blended together tasts like a runny fish pattie.. lol ------------------> yukkies

so that's where the taste test ends...

then added:

3 cubes hikari frozen Bloodworms (frozen)

3 cubes hikari frozen Brine shrimp (frozen

I've done this w/ ice trays too and it was a real mess!doh11.gifTo me it's easier to let it set then cut it into cubesbingo.gifHelen,can you use the trays more than 1x for the gel?

hey susan, yes, the same trays that you see pictured are on their fourth use.

I love this idea!! and I'm really thinking about trying this gel food thing out soon ;)

Garlic x 1 medium clove)

1/2 cup tank water

all blended together tasts like a runny fish pattie.. lol ------------------> yukkies

then added:

Your fish eat better than I do. (minus the last two bits :rofl) :ignore

Brilliant idea!! xD

:thumbs:

thanks guys.. i think you will enjoy using the trays over and over again for gelfood.. it's so easy and no fuss :)

i have 4 different gel food recepies, this way also helps me to remember which one they were fed last and helps me to monitor a well balanced diet for them.

Oh how did I miss that? That's really neat, and so simple! :)

Do you have to use a plastic wrap around the tray to keep the gel from getting nasty in the freezer? Or do you just put it in as is? :)

Great Idea!  I've been using small muffin pans--messy!  Thanks!

Do you have to use a plastic wrap around the tray to keep the gel from getting nasty in the freezer? Or do you just put it in as is? :)

yes, when i used to make them like this, at first, i waited for them to set and then plastic wrapped them or put each tray in a ziplock bag. i found that the the air in the bag caused 'freezer burn' to the food. so what i decided to do is once the food is in the trays, i pressed a single layer of plastic wrap onto the food before it set. then once cooled, i put it in the fridge. the plastic wrap set nicely and then i put it in a ziplock and into the freezer with the plastic still set to the food. i found that this method prevented freezer burn and the food lasted longer :)

thanks for asking :)

yes, when i used to make them like this, at first, i waited for them to set and then plastic wrapped them or put each tray in a ziplock bag. i found that the the air in the bag caused 'freezer burn' to the food. so what i decided to do is once the food is in the trays, i pressed a single layer of plastic wrap onto the food before it set. then once cooled, i put it in the fridge. the plastic wrap set nicely and then i put it in a ziplock and into the freezer with the plastic still set to the food. i found that this method prevented freezer burn and the food lasted longer :)

thanks for asking :)

Thanks for replying Helen. :) I used this method in my most recent batch of gel food and it turned out wonderfully! Glad I read this thread.

This is really the best idea I've seen yet Helen! I'm glad I came across this thread because I'm just starting to get into gel food. So far the ways I've tried to set it have not worked out super well for me... they're either too messy, don't gel properly, or I can't get them out when I go to separate them because the trays I've used are too deep. I  :heart  :heart  :heart  this idea, and I will have tons of these leftover trays in the future.  :)

I think this is a great idea and much better than me having to use scissors as my mum doesn't like me using knives for the fish food :D

I think this is a great idea and much better than me having to use scissors as my mum doesn't like me using knives for the fish food :D

We have things that are dedicated to fish stuff. Like containers, spoons ect. Nothing is too good for the fish

We have things that are dedicated to fish stuff. Like containers, spoons ect. Nothing is too good for the fish

Oddly enough, my very best set of stainless steel fancy measuring spoons have almost all disappeared into the "fish cupboard." :) I use the cheapo flimsy ones for actually baking stuff.

Neat idea with the trays & preventing freezer burn!

Oddly enough, my very best set of stainless steel fancy measuring spoons have almost all disappeared into the "fish cupboard." :) I use the cheapo flimsy ones for actually baking stuff.

Neat idea with the trays & preventing freezer burn!

Haha just wait until the fish have a hole room of stuff not just a cupboard  :rofl3

What a clever and efficient idea Helen! wink.gif

But goodness, the gel food looks like vanilla pudding! What's in there exactly? ohmy.gif

Garlic x 1 medium clove)

1/2 cup tank water

then added:

I've done this w/ ice trays too and it was a real mess! :doh11:To me it's easier to let it set then cut it into cubes :bingo:Helen,can you use the trays more than 1x for the gel?

1/2 cup tank water- is that fish tank water or storage tank water

I would not dare taste the runny fishie pattie if it were the former :)

After adding the frozen food cubes how do you make it into gel?

Also how do I see pictures of your fish, Helen :)

everyone raves about your goldies

Of course I'll have to use up a couple traps of frozen food first. :)

Great idea though. Now to decide which gel food recipe to use.