4wk Old Fry!

Smurfishy

With barely any casualties, although a few probs along the way! First somehow they looked to have ich, about the same time I realized that my well water's nitrites were at 1! It seemed like my best and only course of action was to put them in my hospital tank in a net basket, that was fully cycled and already salted. They seem happy and healthy now with only 1 casualty since that I could tell. Now the problem is that my cycle can't keep up with the bioload. Now that they are bigger maybe I can put them in a 1-3 gallon receptacle of some sort and use the water from work or friends to change it? I do have a 10gph filter. There are between 17-21 fry, they move too much for an accurate count! I just don't want to wear out my welcome by taking large amounts of water all the time. I figure I can take maybe a few buckets once a week. I have read that bottled water is too sterile for goldfish right? In the mean time I am working on making green water and fishless cycling a 75g tank. hmm... I know of some places that I can buy duckweed too, as I hear ammonia is what they thrive off of.

How often should I be feeding them and what? I am currently feeding them live baby brine shrimp and alternating hikari fist bites a few times a day. More questions likely to follow!

How often should I be feeding them and what? I am currently feeding them live baby brine shrimp and alternating hikari fist bites a few times a day. More questions likely to follow!

feeding depends upon what your goal is. rapid growth and max size or just steady regular developing. mine get many many feedings daily.

shift to other foods such as fine ground flake mixed with spirulina dust and frozen blood worm and larger brine shrimp. then too steam egg and so forth.

also at 4 week sould consider a preventive treatment for fluke.

I do frequent water changes as my fry are raised non filtered heavy plant green water and so require more careful attention to water quality.

high NO2 well water , have you added it as a mix with better water and then check the NO2 after a few hours? may suprise you.

Edited by mikroll

Ok, good cuz I wanted to treat my other fish in the tank for flukes with prazi. The other fish in there have some kind of bacterial/fungal infection that salting hasn't completely cured is it safe to treat the fry as well? I have jungle's fungal treatment.

You are saying to add a mix of the bad water with good water to a non cycled tank and it should balance out? Cuz I have been changing 50% of the cycled tank every few days with the bad well water. It has been balancing out.

I treat my babes for fluke with prazi nearly from day one.

for fungal/bacterial type of cruds I just give them a little metiline blue or one of those blue green mixes for that. Always as a dip and not entire tank.

if your tank filter or plants are working well they will just enjoy the NO2 that you give to them and in shrot time it should go away , just measure the NO2 a few times to be sure. Not sure what you mean about an un cycled tank regarding this i am speaking about a non filtered tank of green water.

I don't have green water yet, if I moved the goldfish now it would be a new tank. I never thought of trying a dip. Does this hurt them at all? How much water and how much green meds, I believe I have some that I bought a year or two ago. How often do I dip and how soon should I see results? Thanx for the suggestions. There are websites that sell concentrated green water, should I bother with this?

Does this hurt them at all? How much water and how much green meds, I believe I have some that I bought a year or two ago. How often do I dip and how soon should I see results? Thanx for the suggestions. There are websites that sell concentrated green water, should I bother with this?

Most likely yes as young babys are very sensitive to nearly everything . if you over dose or foul water they will die. I sometimes loose entire tank when being lazy about water changes or changing diet ;and I raise a lot of fish and should know better. so always be careful and sensitive to their water quality.

I do not know what "green meds" you have, I use met blue 1% solution at 1 drop /2liter for short time 3-10 minutes.

Also use prepared stuff containing met blue, acriflavine, copper sulfate etc in correct amounts. looks green works great. sold by many houses (jungle, jbl, tetra, aquarium munster, sera etc) under several names.

repeat if needed. if it is working results will be rapid

prazi dose not bother them and is just left in.

Green water is the most simple easy thing to make. you need only sunlight.

Oh I wasn't planning on dipping the babies, but maybe the adults who just haven't shaken this fungal thing that pops up looking like ich in my pearlscale or as a raised white area along the bottom of their tail fin, but never fully goes away. The meds I have I believe is by wardley its named "quick cure" and has formalin and malachite green in it.

You made me paranoid so I checked my water levels and they are at ammonia .25, nitrites 0, nitrates 40+. Usually its ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10. I did do a 50% change last night, I plan on doing another tomorrow. I then checked my tap water and the nitrites are at 2 or more!!!

I have heard from others here that salting alters the effects of prazi so I plan on getting all the salt out or most of it over the next few days and then put in the prazi. It is hard to measure out when it comes to a 25 gallon tank though. Thats 94.6352946 litres according to google!

My bucket outside I noticed today is starting to look like its turning!

1. a raised white area along the bottom of their tail fin,

2. It is hard to measure out when it comes to a 25 gallon tank though. Thats 94.6352946 litres according to google!

3.My bucket outside I noticed today is starting to look like its turning!

1. are the fish sitting on bottom when the sleep? if so expect to see these kind of "marks or sores".

2. why is that? prepare a stock solution that produces correct ammount in 1ml/liter doses ,then measure required dosewith syringe,..is very easy way to dose small ammounts.

3. congratulations.

I am not sure what you mean by making a stock solution, or exactly how. Could you break it down for me? I am not sure if I have a ml measurer.

hi smurfyish,

stock solution is a way to prepare the chemical of small amount diluted to be correct for a dose of 1ml/ liter-

example you have praziquantel powder at 100% . and normal dose is 2.5mg (milligram) for each liter of water.

As is nearly impossible to measure out such small amounts correctly we measure a big amount to go into a 1 liter of water. that means that into a one liter bottle will go 2.5 gram of the chemical. That means that for each 1 ml of the liquid there is 2.5 milligram of the chemical as there are 1000ml in a liter. so to dose a 94liter tank we give it 94ml of the "stock" solution that was prepared to correct ammount (2.5mg/liter or 2.5 gram / liter)

At first sounds a little complex but actualy is the most simple thing once you understand. OK what is it that you wish to prepare?

edit ml measure , a syringe works fine

Edited by mikroll

Sorry, having internet issues. The directions say: Measure Aquarium Solutions? Liquid PraziPro? at the rate of one (1) teaspoon per 20 gallons of water to be treated. (one (1) fl. oz. per 120 gallons) This produces a concentration of 2.5 mg/L. Question is, If I have a 25g how do I measure that last 5g?

hi smurfyish,

stock solution is a way to prepare the chemical of small amount diluted to be correct for a dose of 1ml/ liter-

example you have praziquantel powder at 100% . and normal dose is 2.5mg (milligram) for each liter of water.

As is nearly impossible to measure out such small amounts correctly we measure a big amount to go into a 1 liter of water. that means that into a one liter bottle will go 2.5 gram of the chemical. That means that for each 1 ml of the liquid there is 2.5 milligram of the chemical as there are 1000ml in a liter. so to dose a 94liter tank we give it 94ml of the "stock" solution that was prepared to correct ammount (2.5mg/liter or 2.5 gram / liter)

At first sounds a little complex but actualy is the most simple thing once you understand. OK what is it that you wish to prepare?

edit ml measure , a syringe works fine