Sign in to follow this  
Guest GoldFishNewbies

A Simple Gel Food Recipe For Beginners

Guest GoldFishNewbies

Can Anyone Tell Me A Simple Gel Food Recipe For Beginners

Plain unflavored gelatin, (Usually in an orange and white box) and pea-flavored baby food. From there you can add different vegetables, crushed vitamins for the fish, grains, ground up tuna fish, etc. :D It's just a little bit of creativity and mixing.

Add the gelatin to some microwaved HOT water, pour it in a square container, mix in the baby food and the gelatin-water and refrigerate. :)

Edited by Vee

Just make sure that you don't microwave the actual gelatin. Microwaving gelatin may convert it to a potentially toxic form.

Don't use any canned fish. It's virtually impossible to find a fish without salt added. If you use fish, choose fresh or frozen.

This is about as simple a recipe as you can get:

Yield

About 1 cup

Ingredients

One 4 oz jar of vegetable flavored baby food **

One 0.25 oz (7 g) packet of Knox unflavored gelatin

1/2 cup of water, either bottled or dechlorinated

** (Please make sure you read the ingredients to ensure they are preservative and additive free. No salt, no sugar, nothing added. Vegetables are the better to use. Fruit flavored baby foods can be used also, but sparingly, due to the higher natural sugar content.)

Method

1) Pour 1/2 cup of water into a microwave safe cup.

2) Microwave for about 3 minutes, or until the water is boiling vigorously (a rolling boil).

3) Dissolve 1 packet of gelatin in boiling water. Stir, smoothing out all of the lumps.

4) Pour the 4 oz jar of baby food into the cup of gelatin-water mix. Stir evenly, removing any lumps that float to the surface.

5) When mixture has thoroughly blended, pour into small pan/bowl/container. Tap on counter to release air bubbles to the surface. Let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

6) Transfer gelled mixture from mold onto a plate or cutting board. Cut into the pieces suitable for the size of your fish.

7) At this point, you can store a portion in the refrigerator for ease of serving, and freeze the rest. It is recommended that you estimate how much your fish will eat in a week, and keeping that much in the refrigerator. Store in an airtight Ziploc bag or Tupperware container. After no more than a week, discard any uneaten gel food from the refrigerator.

Thank you for this recipe :) I am a terrible cook, I have a hard time getting my milk to cereal ratio correct in the morning... so hopefully this will be a good and simple gel food for me to try.