Sign in to follow this  
Guest breakthenight

Vacuuming The Fry Tank

Guest breakthenight

As of yesterday I am the proud owner of about 16-22(hard to get an accurate count-LOL)newly hatched goldfish fry. I have them in my fry tank, but I am wondering how in the world I am going to be able to siphon the bottom(no substrate) without sucking up the fry. Certainly there must be a way? I had a singleton oranda fry a few weeks back who passed away, and I was siphoning the tank using the tubing from a tank vacuum, but he was only one so I could easily watch where he was at all times and avoid him. These guys are everywhere...and as soon as they become very mobile it is just going to get worse.

Any tank cleaning advice? I want to do at least a 50% water change each day on the tank, and siphon the bottom obviously to get rid of any debris.

As a side note the fry are possibly a mix of shubunkin, common and comets. They are not all from the same eggs, I got some unhatched and they hatched yesterday, but the oldest are no more than 48 hours(still absorbing last of the yolk sacs.) Despite being so close in age, just because of what I assume is size of parents and various breeds/breed mixes, I have some fry who are smaller than others. Is it a concern keeping these guys all together? They are close in age and fairly close in size for the most part.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by breakthenight

I used a turkey baster to clean up the bottom of the tank when my babies were tiny. How big is your fry tank? Unless it's very small, I don't how you could do a 50% change without losing some fish unless you had them enclosed in some kind of net container.

I had 10 in an unfiltered 10 gallon tank. I didn't use a siphon (into a bucket) until they were about a month old. Then I moved the bigger ones into another 10 gallon tank with a filter with a nylon stocking toe over the filter. Of my 4 smallest fry, 3 died. I suspect they died of whatever caused their failure to thrive. the 7 remaining fish are all healthy and vigorous. Although my fish had a wide range of sizes, none of the bigger guys had any interest in eating their smaller sibs, although other people have had this happen. The littler guys will grow better if you separate them from the bigger ones.

I agree with Shakaho, unless your tank is really tiny, you don't need to change that much water.

I also used a turkey baster to get waste off the bottom of the tub. It's a bit of work, of course. You could make a sponge filter and add it to the tank, that would be safe for the fry and you will need to worry less about toxins - although with those tiny fish hardy anything builds up during the first few weeks.

I used the turkey baster daily and did 25% water changes bi weekly, using a cup and a bucket. Whenever you start actually siphoning, make sure you drain the water into a bucket, and check the bucket for fry before you dump the water. Whenever you refill the tank, add the water very slowly. The force of water splashing into the tub can seriously injure those fragile little fish. A spine with the thickness of a hair snaps easily.

In a few weeks, when the size difference is more significant, separate the smaller ones from the larger ones, or the larger ones will snack the little ones up. This happened to me.

Guest breakthenight

Fry tank is small, but I like it because I can do big water changes to keep it very clean and it is easier for the fry to find food. I have an empty 10 gallon which I will have rigged up for them in the next month depending on their growth.

May have to buy a turkey baster to do their tank with, or might try a piece of airline tubing and try not to suck anyone up, keep checking the dirty water though just on the off chance.

With around 20 fry, I think it would be a good idea to already start the 10 gallon tank. In a tub smaller than that, the waste accumulating will produce a much higher concentration of toxins.

A larger tub is much more forging, especially considered that ideally you should stay below 6 inches of water level, so the pressure in the deeper water won't harm the fry.

You will then also need to look into a much bigger container soon. These fish grow like crazy. I had fry on 03/20/2011. That's only 3 1/2 months ago, and the fish are now 2 1/2 inches long. Mine are also shubunkin x comet. I still have them in a 50qt tub which is starting to get really tight, and I have only 4 fish. My problem was that I had an incident with the filter. The intake was covered perfectly fine, but on the back where the cord goes into the filter was a small crack, big enough for fish to get sucked in if they were close. I hadn't noticed that, and lost a few fish. It was hard to tell how many there were by the time I found the remains, but somewhere between 6 and 12. So if this hadn't happened, I would still have a lot more fish. Same if the bigger ones hadn't also eaten some of the tiny ones. I'd still have about 20 fish I suppose, and I wouldn't know where to put them :o

Just saying so you know you will need A LOT more room soon.

Guest breakthenight

Thanks for the tips, may start the 10g sooner but for now i'm keeping them in the smaller hatch/fry tank.

I do know how much room they require, no worries there. I have a couple tanks for when they are small, but ideally if I get a good survival rate probably all but one or two at the very most are going back to my parents pond where I got the eggs/fry.I already have my 29g with my two boys Dozer and Lukas, but I had so much fun raising them that I offered to raise a few from the pond again.

May have to buy a turkey baster to do their tank with, or might try a piece of airline tubing and try not to suck anyone up, keep checking the dirty water though just on the off chance.

I personally used the ridged airline tube with my angelfish and betta fry. But it had to be the hard plastic one.

I always use airline tubing but I syphon the water into a small white bucket and check before I throw it-just in case :)