Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

Extreme Makeover X2

Yay!! Looking good :) I absolutly CANNOT WAIT until i can finally get my tank with the sump set up. I just have to wait for my dad to finish the flooring but it's hunting season so hunting is much more important to him than the floor lol

gosh, I really wish I was confident enough to make a sump filter for my biggest tank >_<, just getting all the gumph out of sight would be worth it, let alone the benefit of wet/dry filtration!

I think when I upgrade my tank I might try and make a sump on the old one as an "experiment".

You are doing such an amazing Job and it really shows - your tanks and fish always look so beautiful and professional in your pics!

I am totally amazed at your vision, dedication, and attention to detail. You're hired! You gonna be in Portland, OR anytime soon? hahaha... I kid but no really, I'm so jealous! I'd love to have one built up for me. If I tried doing that myself I'd totally mess up.

Way to go!!!!

Just checked it out and what a great blog :) I really loved the way you described the different types of eyes :) with pic's and graphics :)

Thanks Shelly! Can you tell I'm totally obsessed with butterflies? :P

Yay!! Looking good :) I absolutly CANNOT WAIT until i can finally get my tank with the sump set up. I just have to wait for my dad to finish the flooring but it's hunting season so hunting is much more important to him than the floor lol

I'm excited for your tank to finally be set up too, hopefully soon!

gosh, I really wish I was confident enough to make a sump filter for my biggest tank >_<, just getting all the gumph out of sight would be worth it, let alone the benefit of wet/dry filtration!

I think when I upgrade my tank I might try and make a sump on the old one as an "experiment".

You are doing such an amazing Job and it really shows - your tanks and fish always look so beautiful and professional in your pics!

Thanks! Yeah, definitely try making a sump! All you really need to do is plan things out well ahead of time, and do a lot of internet research to see how other people are making theirs. You can model yours off of one you like, or you can customize it by picking and choosing which features you like. They can really be as simple or as complex as you want them to be. Building a sump system like this is really not so bad, but at first it's a little terrifying having a big hold drilled in your tank before you even know how it's all going to come together. o_O

I am totally amazed at your vision, dedication, and attention to detail. You're hired! You gonna be in Portland, OR anytime soon? hahaha... I kid but no really, I'm so jealous! I'd love to have one built up for me. If I tried doing that myself I'd totally mess up.

Way to go!!!!

Aww, thank you :) I would totally love to help you, too bad we don't live closer! But like I told Lucerne, I don't think building a sump system is quite as difficult as it looks. You just have to do plenty of research and planning before you start. By the time I actually went in to the fish store to order parts, they were amazed at all my little diagrams and how much planning I had done, lol! Small mistakes along the way are totally fine, I know I made a few. For instance, the acrylic pieces I used to create the partitions in the first sump I made were way too thin. I only realized this after I had them all siliconed in though, of course! So I had to rip it all out and start over. But it ended up being a totally fixable mistake.

I will have an update soon on the 55 gallon tank progress, I got some work done on it today. I cannot wait to get my big beautiful broadtails in the tank already! :Jig:

So excited to see it done! Which fish are going in there?

Fede, the two new broadtails are going to live in there, they'll get this tank all to themselves! :)

Your project pictures was finally what helped my convince my fiance to do this with me. Thanks! Big question, how much did all of this cost you?

Your project pictures was finally what helped my convince my fiance to do this with me. Thanks! Big question, how much did all of this cost you?

Awesome! Let me get back to you on the cost, I know I kept records somewhere of everything I spent.

I posted another update in my blog :)http://solid-gold-fish.blogspot.com/2011/11/aquarium-sump-assembly-part-2.html

i021.jpg

Time for an update!

I couldn't find the right size check valve at any home improvement stores, so I ordered one online. It took about a week to arrive, which was annoying at first, but actually it was okay because it took that long for the silicone in the sump to fully cure anyways. However, they sent me the wrong size check valve! I ordered a 3/4" one, and they sent a 1" one. It wasn't worth the hassle to return it, so I went to Home Depot to get some fittings that would allow it to fit the hoses I have. Once I got home with all my fittings, I realized the fittings were too big for the check valve! :wall At this point I was about ready to pull my hair out! Finally I just decided to go back to the fish store where I got the sump parts from, hoping against hope they would have some solution for the check valve issue (since they're pretty much going out of business, they don't usually have what I need in stock anymore). But the owner just happened to be there, and he managed to find some fittings that would actually match the size of the check valve, so I was in luck this time!

Back at home, with my properly sized fittings, I put everything together, filled the tank and sump with water, and turned on the pump. It worked! Except... I need a ball valve to regulate the flow. I have two outflow hoses (one bypasses the UV, and one connects to the UV) and almost all the water was going through the hose that bypasses the UV, with almost no water actually going through the UV. Since too much water was going through that one hose, all the connections on that hose were leaking water! Not a lot, but even a little leak is very bad. So I had to drain it. I should have known I wouldn't be able to get away without a ball valve. So I'll have to get one on Friday and install it, but that will be easy.

But in the meantime, I just didn't want to keep the fish in that small (relatively, since they're huge fish, lol!) tub anymore, so I refilled the tank, but not high enough that the water would drain out the hole drilled in the back. Then I just put my HOB filter on the tank, and added the fish! This will work for now until I can get the sump working properly. I can already tell they're so much happier to have more space to swim around in. :) They're using every inch of space, and they seem to enjoy looking at their reflections on the black background. Here are a few photos...

r083.jpg

r015.jpg

r058.jpg

r054.jpg

r036.jpg

r120.jpg

r088.jpg

Just for the record, I love these sump setups so much, but I have certainly paid for them in blood, sweat, and tears! lol

They are too cute! :)

I'm glad they got to move into the bigger home!

They are too cute! :)

I'm glad they got to move into the bigger home!

Me too, they're so happy about it. :) I'm still a little in shock that Callisto is indeed a female. She has almost as many tubercles as Ganymede! Unreal.

OMG the breeding stars!?!?! Is that the female? Love it!

Btw reading your post got me totally nervous lol! Hope things get sorted asap

They are so pretty and look so happy in their new home :)

Oh My Gosh they are Both So Amazingly Beautiful!!! I do hope you get your tank/sump problems sorted soon :) I can't wait to see these beauties in a full tank :)

WOW Sakura, they are fantastic!! I really admire your handiness with the sumps and dart frog vivarium... it will be especially nice to enjoy them once everything's finished :)

And I am just shocked that Callisto is actually female :yikes those two would make some monster babies (are they related?? LOL)

o.m.gosh. I can't believe all you've gone through! But they do look very happy to have more space. They're absolutely stunning :)

I also, cannot believe Callisto is a female. If you hadn't said she was a known female, I don't think I would've believed it honestly. Keep us updated on your progress. :)

Really nice fish! and I cant wait to see the final sump setup because the last one looked so impressive.

I know, I am somewhat tempted to ask the original owner again if he's absolutely sure she's a female because I find it hard to believe myself! lol But I think that would be kinda rude, so I probably won't. :P Besides, he sounded very sure of himself, and he is an experienced goldfish breeder, so I'm sure he's right.

Well, I got the ball valve bought and installed. Since there was no way to drain the hose that had to be cut, we had to put a bucket underneath it to catch the water that would drain out, and then cut it. Of course the water pretty much went everywhere except in the bucket, and then it even started back-siphoning from one of the spray bars. LOL So we had to scramble to stop that! But it wasn't bad at all installing the ball valve after that. I also got my husband to help me tighten some of the leaky connections, so everything is better now! However, I now have yet another problem. It's not so bad, but the stupid overflow box is making much more noise than I would like it to. The overflow box on the 75 gallon tank is silent, so I think they just didn't make something quite right with this tank and it's not running as efficiently as it should or something. I tried everything to get it to stop making noise, and I finally got it to the point where it makes less noise, but still does make some. So frustrating! I'll probably work on it more tomorrow and call the store about it too. But the fish are happy at least. Very happy, actually! When the water clears up, I'll post a video. :)

Im just in AWWWWWWWe of it all.. So fantastic !!! I LOVE IT !!! & THEIR BEAUTIFUL !!!!! You done an AWESOME Job !!!! Have you patted your back yet?....& the cat foot prints in paint :o i have had to do the same b4 But I used Barbasol shaving cream :o & It works !!!! 1 buck at the dollar tree :D..

I may have missed this in another thread but I *JUST* got back to Kokos ;) Where did you get them from??

I got them from a veiltail breeder on Goldfish Keepers Forum. He had these two along with a bunch of his veils, and he was selling them all becuase he was getting out of the hobby.

That is quite a project! Very impressive. But I have to say I think I am even more impressed with those fish! They are absolute beauties! :heart