Found 5 Eggs In Tank

Guest anisa

Guest anisa

hy there. i recently got two goldfish and i noticed one chased the other all the time i now no this was part of breeding.i them noticed one day 5 clear white eggs attached to the plastic plant.2days later i noticed 1 egg has a black dot in it but the others hasnt and they are still clear white with no fungus on them.does this mean that out of 5 eggs only one is alive or do they all grow at different speeds.also could you please advice me on the stages now.as i ain got a clue i have had goldfish eggs before.thanks

Hello and welcome to Koko's!

The white eggs are no good. Good eggs are clear. The white ones need to be removed.

The one with the black dots will soon hatch. Usually they hatch within 48 hours after being fertilized. They first look like tiny little aliens, and won't be able to swim properly. They have a yolk sack which will take care of the required nutrition for the first 36 - 48 hours after hatching. During that time, they will hold on to the glass, or hang from an ornament / plant, or simply "roll" over the bottom of the tank. They might even appear lifeless during that time.

The tank water should not be deeper than 6 inches / 15 cm during the first few weeks, as the higher pressure in water deeper than that can cause problems for the fish.

After those 36 - 48 hours, you need to provide food for the fry, such as freshly hatched baby brine shrimp, frozen baby brine shrimp, hikari first bites or liquid fry foods. They ideally need to be fed about every four hours. They are tiny, but to grow properly they need to be fed much more food in relation to their body size, compared to adult fish. Just make sure to remove the uneaten food from the bottom, to avoid fungus growing. I did that with a brand new, rinsed out turkey baster.

You can then eventually make a little sponge filter, which is safe for the fish. Water changes have to be done VERY carefully, so you don't accidentally remove the fish. Adding water back in has to be done very carefully and slowly. The force of the water splashing back in, can injure the little ones.

Guest anisa

well they hatced 4 days ago and there was about 80 sadly they have died and now there is about 20.i hope they survive they seem to be growing ryt they look orange and have groewn little fins