Emergency Euth!

She is in barely a gallon of water. I added 12 drops of the clove oil and added it to the bowl. She has been in for 15 minutes. I checked on her and she is still breathing. Do I add more oil? Should I take her out and put her in some fresh water? I don't want to hurt her!

The oil I picked up is "organic clove oil" the oil itself is a very dark dark *dark* brown.

Please help! I do not want her to suffer

The oil is probably not mixed. Get a small tupperware container or a plastic bag, add about ten drops more oil and about a 1/4 cup of water, shake super super super well. Then add to the container. She should roll over to her side fairly quickly and then will slowly stop breathing. Watch carefully for slight gill movement. I usually cover the bowl with a towel after they turn over on their sides so I don't have to watch. Then I put them in a small container of the clove water in the freezer for a few hours to be safe.

The oil is probably not mixed. Get a small tupperware container or a plastic bag, add about ten drops more oil and about a 1/4 cup of water, shake super super super well. Then add to the container. She should roll over to her side fairly quickly and then will slowly stop breathing. Watch carefully for slight gill movement. I usually cover the bowl with a towel after they turn over on their sides so I don't have to watch. Then I put them in a small container of the clove water in the freezer for a few hours to be safe.

I panicked and took her out in some fresh water.

I mixed it extremely well. Shook and shook. It was just clear, with light brown coloring. She has already been swimming on her side, so she is already on her side.

She was in there for 20 minutes. It's like it never effected her. She is very much alive and swimming here and there O_O

I use a lot of oil. I probably do 15 drops, then wait a few minutes and add another 15 or so. It may very well be the oil. Did it smell really strong of cloves? You could take a bit of it and rub it on your gums...if it numbs slightly it should work. I am just leaving work and heading home, but I'll check back with you.

I just want to add it takes a while for them to stop breathing. Eventually their breathing just slows down. Walley went down right away. Calcifer took a few extra doses of clove oil. That was the worst.

Use ALOT of clove oil when you shake it with the water. I used about 15 or 20 drops when I euth'd Luna. I added it, made sure her movement was slowing, and walked away. I don't want to watch them go. I just came back and checked about 5 minutes later and she wasn't acting sleepy enough so I added about 10 more drops of emulsified clove oil. I checked 1/2 an hour later and she was gone. Hugs, I know how much it sucks to have to make this decision.

That sounds like way too long to me. Maybe I will try again when I get home from going out to dinner. I just did a water change. I just... can't believe it.

She was in a small container with 12 drops of brown clove oil. Thing is, there was no emulsion (like olive oil and lemon juice for salad dressing would look. It was very well mixed, and clearish. Not cloudy one bit.

I don't think that is a dumb question. I've wondered that when one fish went slowly, but really it is just their system. I think you need to use more clove oil if you decide to do it.

Uhhmm... dumb question. Does she look like she is in decent shape? I mean, umm... you think it's a "SIGN" that she didn't die?

I thought about it being a "sign" that she didn't die. But honestly, what more can I do? She is gasping, she isn't eating *anything* unless I physically shove a pea in her mouth. She is fully dropised (it wasn't *this* bad before), and super bloated. She is on her side, and occasionally swims (also on her side) but not as frequent. She is covered in black spots. Is this *really* a way to live? You think I shouldn't euth her?

I think you have done all you can. I think that what you describe is no way for a creature to live. I believe it would be a kindness. Just my own opinion......

Many hugs to you as you deal with this. I am sorry. I know how upsetting it must be and so very difficult.

THat is what I am thinking.

How horrid.

I am just worried that she will survive it, AGAIN. This is tormenting me, and I am sure her too! I want what is best for her :( Other than being on the bottom here, every once in a while she swims around the tank, on her side. However, as of this hour, I am having difficulty feeding her :(

If she were my fish I would euthanize her. She doesn't look happy. I have to warn you though that it can take 15 minutes and a decent amount of clove oil. And after five minutes or so you do need to do a second dose. I would start with 15 drops, shake very very well, add that, give it 5 minutes, do the same thing again. It may even take a third time. I always cover the bowl with a towel. It may take longer than you would like, but I promise she won't suffer. She will slowly start to fall asleep. It sounds like she didn't get enough to go to sleep. I'm sorry. I know it is terrible.

If she were my fish I would euthanize her. She doesn't look happy. I have to warn you though that it can take 15 minutes and a decent amount of clove oil. And after five minutes or so you do need to do a second dose. I would start with 15 drops, shake very very well, add that, give it 5 minutes, do the same thing again. It may even take a third time. I always cover the bowl with a towel. It may take longer than you would like, but I promise she won't suffer. She will slowly start to fall asleep. It sounds like she didn't get enough to go to sleep. I'm sorry. I know it is terrible.

Thank you for your help. I was reading elsewhere to double or even triple the dose. I took a cup of water and added 12 drops 4 times. I tasted it on my gum to make sure it didnt burn. It didnt (don't worry it wasn't tank water) . Should I use that or try a method by keep adding. I don't think I have it in be to keep "checking" on her. I mean she was in it for 20 minutes and it did nothing. So, maybe, yeah, I need to add more...

I too have to cover with a towel, I can't watch.

I was looking into antibiotic shots, but at this point it seems useless. Its just too late :(

Did you do it?

Wow I also think it is a sign. Poor thing tho :(

Let us know

I remember Amber always told me that she would always put 1 entire bottle in the water. She didn't want to risk it not working. So that is what I also plan to do. Hopefully not anytime soon!

I agree with Amy. I would euth her. She looks to be in bad shape, and not too happy. I'm so sorry this is happening to you with how short of a time you've had her. It's not fair!

Thank you. I had a dinner I had to go to last night, which went longer than I thought. By the time I got home and settled it was 2am my time. So, I am up now, and currently mustering the courage to go through this again, with more clove oil. I just fear it because I think my oil is somehow different than everyone else's. Are peoples clove oil clear? Because mine is like, chocolate brown.

I did feel like, omg it's a sign! And was looking into finding a vet that knows fish. But now she is having trouble eating, which to me, is a sign of, well, it's her time. I feel that way with my mammal pets too. I guess I just didn't use enough.

I plan on using a bowl half the size i used last time, and I mixed up a solution of 50 drops or so.

It just breaks my heart every once in a while when I see her swim, and come over to me when I go into the kitchen.

I'm very sorry you had to go through this. It takes a lot of courage to make the decision to do what is best for our pets. :heart

RIP Sweet Cleo.

RIP beautiful Cleo :(

Hugs to you Auryn. You did your very best in helping her. None of us here could have done any better.