Toys In Aquarium

Edgar

• Supporter

i have plastic fishing bob's that i normally use for activities.. but i don't leave them in there. when the activity is over, so are the toys. the get cleaned, dried and put away for tomorrrow.

For decorations, you mean? Some plastics leech chemicals into the water. For the most part it is an interesting idea, seeing as some of the fake plants are make of plastics. If you knew the plastic wouldn't leech and that the toy wasn't hollow I would guess it could be done.

Someone thought of putting legos in the tank, but they float and most likely leech. I mean.. have you ever smelled a new box of legos? c'mon! :rofl

For decorations, you mean? Some plastics leech chemicals into the water. For the most part it is an interesting idea, seeing as some of the fake plants are make of plastics. If you knew the plastic wouldn't leech and that the toy wasn't hollow I would guess it could be done.

Someone thought of putting legos in the tank, but they float and most likely leech. I mean.. have you ever smelled a new box of legos? c'mon! :rofl

yea they would be for decorations.

I really have no idea if the plastic would leech out chemicals. I know they are not hollow tho

i have plastic fishing bob's that i normally use for activities.. but i don't leave them in there. when the activity is over, so are the toys. the get cleaned, dried and put away for tomorrrow.

Mine would be placed as decorations tho

• Supporter

ah. not sure for decorations. i only have live plants and driftwood.. the bobs are purely for activities.. but i do hear that some plastics leech toxins into the water so i guess most plastic decorations would have to be purchased from fish stores or reputable online sellers. and ensure they are not hollow ornaments as they can trap nasty bacteria.

I personally now trust a child toy more - tested to be safe for him to stick in his mouth etc - then aquarium decorations.

I got the real cool looking betta floating logs for my 3 bettas and a few weeks later I lost 2 of them (who were completely healthy). So now I don't trust any of those tank decorations out of resin with that strong smell to them.

I personally now trust a child toy more - tested to be safe for him to stick in his mouth etc - then aquarium decorations.

I got the real cool looking betta floating logs for my 3 bettas and a few weeks later I lost 2 of them (who were completely healthy). So now I don't trust any of those tank decorations out of resin with that strong smell to them.

That's what I was thinking lol if it is safe for a kid to play with and put in his mounth it should be ok for fish.

Oh that sucks, I was planning on buying one of those logs for my betta I guess I won't be getting one anymore.

• 6 months later...

Kid testing the safety of a toy only goes so far since the testing only takes place at the ports to about 30% of product if that. That's how a lot of lead filled 'toys' and other manufactured products keep coming in to the states and need to be recalled only later after enough kids go to the hospital.

I do know for a fact that the softer the plastic is, the more it can leach into your water.

Hope that helps even though this post is many months later.

If i was going to figure out how to put a toy in the aquarium, i'd probably just seal it with clear silicon without any additives like mildew prevention. Then there would be no fear of it bleeding toxins because it had a silicon safety rubber (lol) :D just a thought!