? Confused Much Yes! ?

Guest GoldFishNewbies

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mike and Linda

Well he kinda needs some help. I am hoping to get the stuff to him this week. What does fish for fogies mean?????

What does fish for fogies mean?????

Well.... you would have to go back to my previous entry where I had lost my mind and went into an alzheimer-induced rant. It's my fantasy fish store in my fantasy senior community all built around goldfish...

Guest GoldFishNewbies

****(i put these because i dont like to curse but crap!) another white spot so now 2 weeks starts all over. :(

****(i put these because i dont like to curse but crap!) another white spot so now 2 weeks starts all over. :(

I'm so sorry.... but, see???? This is why you can't get too excited and you have to wait and watch. Ich is a sneaky, rotten critter that just doesn't know when to go away.

But, only one is pretty good. If it stays with one, that means they're definitely lessening.....

Guest Mike and Linda

Keep the salt in and just listen to what these people on KOKO's say. I will be sending the heater and stuff today so soon you will beable to raise the heat up a bit. Keep up the good work.

Guest Mike and Linda

GoldFishNewbies You should have the package by Wednesday July.06.2011 so keep an eye open for Purolator. Unless I tell you otherwise the tracking number for this package is 49955332082

Let me know when you get the package. They will pick it up today around 1 - 2pm.

Guest Mike and Linda

GoldFishNewbies You should have the package by Wednesday July.06.2011 so keep an eye open for Purolator. Unless I tell you otherwise the tracking number for this package is 49955332082

Let me know when you get the package. They will pick it up today around 1 - 2pm.

The package is gone keep an eye on it now.purolatorJust type in that tracking number and you will know where the package is.

Edited by Mike and Linda

Guest GoldFishNewbies

thanks so much mike and i toke out all the salt because it seemed like it was stressing them out and i put the ick clear

Guest Mike and Linda

I would not have done that but its your fish. Since your tank is not cycled properly you will end up with Nitrite and without .1% salt your fish will not live through it because nitrites will hurt the fishes gills and that is why it is so important to listen to the people on this forum. These people are very experienced in what they do. I have cycleded many tanks and know that without test kits for Nitrite you will not know.

I only use salt for fish and I have had a few fish flash and bang into the glass all because of ich but I just used salt and all the ich went away peacefully.

Edited by Mike and Linda

Guest GoldFishNewbies

0o man i dont want them to die can you plz explain step by step what i have to do and btw i still have the medicine in the tank

Guest Mike and Linda

Your fish won't die. The chances are good that you have Nitrites in your tank so you need to keep 1 tsp per gallon of salt until you get these test kits that I sent you. that is the reason I sent them to you so that you can check their water quality.If you don't look after the Nitrites then your fish might die.

Edited by Mike and Linda

Guest Mike and Linda

I would only resort to medications if your fish can't take salt.

How much was the water change that you did

What ever you do DO NOT add all that salt .3% back at one time

Edited by Mike and Linda

Guest Mike and Linda

I would only resort to medications if your fish can't take salt.

How much was the water change that you did

What ever you do DO NOT add all that salt .3% back at one time

These are my tanks

My tanks

Guest GoldFishNewbies

alrite so what i did was a big 50% water change i put my filter media in and added air and some water conditioner

Guest Mike and Linda

I have to go to bed I have to go to school so i can't wait for you to respond you take to long to respond.

Edited by Mike and Linda

i toke out all the salt because it seemed like it was stressing them out and i put the ick clear

Unless too much salt has been added, salt will not stress fish. In fact, it is often used to de-stress fish.

High ammonia, nitrites or nitrates will stress fish.

A crashed pH will stress fish.

Medications will stress fish.

Ick Clear is a medication and is much more stressful than salt (again, as long as too much salt hasn't been added).

I also agree that removing the salt and adding the Ich Clear was not a good choice. I'm going to have to spank you for getting impatient and not trusting the process and trying to make things happen. :SmackBottom::bighug

If you felt your fish were stressing, it probably would've been easier for you to ask us what we thought might be the reason before making such a big change. Well, we move on now and try to fix things.

You say you removed the salt, but unless you did a 100% water change, you didn't remove all of the salt. Did you do a 100% water change when you removed the salt?

Then you said you did a 50% water change to remove the medication. But, removing only 50% of the water only removed 50% of the medication. Do you see how that follows?

So, now, you have, probably, both salt and medication in your tank.

Just for information's sake, prior to your observation that your fish were stressing, were you doing large daily water changes? How much? Were you testing your water every day? What were the results?

So, you ask, what should you do.

You need to just get back to where you were. And that means doing a 100% water change, or as close to it as you can. Get EVERYTHING out of the water.

Then, start salting again, 1 tsp per gallon to start with.

I wouldn't suggest going higher than 0.1% unless you are seeing several ich on your fish.

How much, if any, ich are on your oranda? I know you said you saw one yesterday. Is that gone? Are there more, or what?

Can you tell us what your fish was doing that made you feel he was stressing?

Edited by Lynda Von G

Guest Mike and Linda

I don't mind helping you but you have to do exactly what we say not what you want to do. I am not saying this to be mean or anything just helping out.

When you get the test kits let me know first then I will tell you how to do the water tests. Don't waste the test kits. You will have to start saving to order more test kits. You will need to keep Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH and KH test kits at all times don't run out.

If your KH is less than 7 drops which is 125.3 ppm your fish might not stay healthy. Goldfish are not an easy fish to care for. I have 10

Do you have any other filters for your tank or do you only have one? Because you have a 29 gallon and you are overstocked by one fish you will need to pump nothing less than 290 gph.

I repeat sometimes so that you understand how important it is to do this the right way.

Post #92 I sent a link to My tanks so that you could see how my setup is.

Edited by Mike and Linda