Sign in to follow this  
Guest GoldFishNewbies

? Confused Much Yes! ?

Guest Mike and Linda

I have bought him some salt 65oz a big box so Just keep a close eye on them. I have bought you some salt that will get to you next week. It is coming by UPS

The salt is API rock salt so it needs to be diluted in tank water in a cont before you add it to the aquarium.

Edited by Mike and Linda

Guest Mike and Linda

if you want to put both for simplicity reasons you really have to stick to the salt regimen and keep up with the water parameters.

He does not have much money and I am buying the test kits and salt for him.

Guest GoldFishNewbies

okay thats what ill do&thanks for the salt

Guest Mike and Linda

UPS says that by the end of the day on Tuesday you should have the salt.

Guest GoldFishNewbies

status so fat temp 71.4 going up thanks to mikes heater :) they are friendly amelfy(red cap oranda) is folowing Riley(ryukin) its so cute salt is 0.01%

Guest Mike and Linda

I am glad that your fish get along. You do have them in the 29g right? Just keep testing the ammonia and Nitrites every day and do water changes as needed to keep the water quality good with 0 ammonia and 0 Nitrites and you should do good.

Do not add any more fish under no circumstances.

Edited by Mike and Linda

Guest GoldFishNewbies

I am glad that your fish get along. You do have them in the 29g right? Just keep testing the ammonia and Nitrites every day and do water changes as needed to keep the water quality good with 0 ammonia and 0 Nitrites and you should do good.

yes. they are in 29gal and i know i say thank you alot mike but i thank you so much for caring about my fish :)

Guest GoldFishNewbies

amelfy is still just floating around i dont know why

Guest Mike and Linda

What do you mean floating around. What do you feed your fish?

The "bloating" or swelling of your fish could be from eggs and the rise in temperature could cause this. The most important thing is that you look very closely at your fish and try to determine whether there are any scales sticking out. This is what you want to be looking for: Picture of Scales Sticking Out

Sorry to interject without really being able to help, but... that picture makes me cringe. Really, /really/ cringe. I'm going to have nightmares now .-. god, that poor poor fish.

Guest Mike and Linda
The "bloating" or swelling of your fish could be from eggs and the rise in temperature could cause this. The most important thing is that you look very closely at your fish and try to determine whether there are any scales sticking out. This is what you want to be looking for: Picture of Scales Sticking Out

Sorry to interject without really being able to help, but... that picture makes me cringe. Really, /really/ cringe. I'm going to have nightmares now .-. god, that poor poor fish.

Are you sure that you posted this last post in the right forum.

Well... it's... a quote from a post in this thread >___<

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/92518-confused-much-yes/page__view__findpost__p__1079016

Sorry... maybe it was wrong? Its from a while ago, but I was reading through the thread and saw it, so >.<

Guest Mike and Linda

ok. I am just trying to help GoldFish Newbies with his fish issues but I am limited on my knowledge about certain things so if anyone has anything that can help him with his fish floaty issues.

Guest Mike and Linda

Make sure thst the salt that you use does not have any of these things in it.

Do not ever use salt that contains the following:

Salts that are not safe

YPS (Yellow prussiate of soda).

Anti caking agents especially those containing cyanuric acid.

Cow salt blocks or salt containing magnesium and other added minerals.

And iodine.

Iodine will actually not hurt the fish but it will harm your beneficial bacteria and cycle.

Well, I can try to help.

When I first got my fish, I freaked out every time he was "floating" still in the water. Turns out he was just resting. There is a big difference between what floating is, and what "floating" is. If he's floating and has a serious problem, he will show these symptoms: he will be quite obviously awake and swimming around, but whenever he pauses for a second he gently floats upward. This is a (in my opinion, pretty mild) swim bladder problem, and is easily corrected by feeding him frozen and then thawed out peas. I would ask/research exactly how to do that, because I believe you have to shell the peas as well, but overall its a pretty easy task.

If your fish is "floating," not moving at all but still staying still within the water (NOT drifting slowly upward) then he's just resting and you have nothing to worry about. I think it varies for different types of fish, but my fantail usually floats around in the middle of the tank (perfectly between the surface of the water and the bottom of the tank) to rest.

If your fish is /struggling/ to stay away from the surface, never goes too far below the surface, or is floating upside down, I would seek immediate help. This is usually a very serious swimbladder disease that can be fatal.

One last thing- GoldFishNewbies, you private messaged me but I can't read private messages yet because I don't have 100 posts =0 so you'll have to be patient.

Edited by Emyline

Guest Mike and Linda

Well, I can try to help.

When I first got my fish, I freaked out every time he was "floating" still in the water. Turns out he was just resting. There is a big difference between what floating is, and what "floating" is. If he's floating and has a serious problem, he will be quite obviously awake and swimming around, but whenever he pauses for a second he gently floats upward. This is a (in my opinion, pretty mild) swim bladder problem, and is easily corrected by feeding him frozen and then thawed out peas. I would ask/research exactly how to do that, because I believe you have to shell the peas as well, but overall its a pretty easy task.

If your fish is "floating," not moving at all but still staying still within the water (not drifting slowly upward) then he's just resting and you have nothing to worry about.

If your fish is /struggling/ to stay away from the surface, never goes too far below the surface, or is floating upside down, I would seek immediate help. This is usually a very serious swimbladder disease that can be fatal.

One last thing- GoldFishNewbies, you private messaged me but I can't read private messages yet because I don't have 100 posts =0 so you'll have to be patient.

I just go by what hes says. he does not give us much to go on. It is kinda hard to know what he is doing in his tanks. He changes so much.

Can you post a video that shows what your fish is doing as of now?

Guest Mike and Linda

yes. they are in 29gal and i know i say thank you alot mike but i thank you so much for caring about my fish :)

Your welcome enjoy just do your very best to look after them properly thats all i ask.

Guest GoldFishNewbies

Well... it's... a quote from a post in this thread >___<

http://www.kokosgold...ost__p__1079016

Sorry... maybe it was wrong? Its from a while ago, but I was reading through the thread and saw it, so >.<

i did say she was just floating around but no. no scales sticking out i just bordem because it an empty tank except for the 2 filter riley and the heater lmfao

Guest GoldFishNewbies

shell swim around "protecting: riley then stop just float in the same spot then swim around again

shell swim around "protecting: riley then stop just float in the same spot then swim around again

Is Riley another fish?

Yes, it sounds like she is fine, she is just pausing to rest. It's like if you're going on a long walk, you stop sometimes to sit down or take a drink of water.

Guest GoldFishNewbies

Is Riley another fish?

Yes, it sounds like she is fine, she is just pausing to rest. It's like if you're going on a long walk, you stop sometimes to sit down or take a drink of water.

Yes Riley-My Orange And White Ryukin

Amelfy( My White Red Cap Oranda

Alright, thank you for the information. As I said, it sounds like Amelfy is alright but if she starts drifting upward when she is resting, look into swimbladder symptoms and cures.

As of now, I'd give more attention to the more immediate needs of your fish and to what everyone has been helping you with on this site =3

Guest GoldFishNewbies

she also bottom sits here and there

Guest Mike and Linda

You need to start paying attention and reading up on how to properly look after these goldfish. If you don't you will have many fish problems that we won't be able to fix.

1. You need to feed these goldies small amounts at one time. You must feed them different foods not the same food every day.

2. You must make sure that the tank never has any ammonia or Nitrites or your fish will get sick and possibly die.

3. You must make sure that their PH does not change in big amounts and that the KH stays 7 or higher

4. Make sure that you have 290 gph running through your filters at all times for your 29g and make sure that the current is not to strong for the Oranda. They need a place to rest properly.

5. Your filter media make sure that you don't throw it away unless it is absolutel no good because that is what is going to keep the ammonia and Nitrites away. Don't use carbon all the time because after 3 or 4 weeks it will put all the toxins back into the water which is no good.

6. Don't rinse all the media at one time and only if really necessary because you might end up loosing your good bio bugs. This wa a habbit I did and it created a cycle all the time. Now I never rinse my media unless it is stopping my flow.

7. Never use containers for your fish that have ever had any soap or chemicals in it. Use new items and only use for your fish. Only rinse them with water only.

8. Never rinse your media with tap water you will loose your bio bugs.

9. You can buy some fresh kale. red swiss chard, zuchinni and put small amounts on a clip ond you can give them some fresh veggies to eat.

10. Keep a record of everything that you do in your tank I don't care what it is or how small every day. We can't help if we do not know what you did.

I am not sure if I missed anything but if you do not practice all these things expect your fish to get sick not not be healthy. You can't expect people on this forum to help you if you fail to practice these few things that we tell you on this forum. You can't say that you did not know because it is written here in this post.

We are here to help but you need to do your part. I have sent you test kits, heater and salt is on its way so keep up the good work and your fish should be happy.

HAPPY WATER makes HAPPY fish.

Edited by Mike and Linda