Sign in to follow this  
npila1

Veggies

Do veggies need to be fresh (or fresh and then cooked) to feed them to goldfish? Or is it ok if they are frozen and then boiled?

Edited by npila1

Frozen are fine. Frozen veggies are flash frozen immediately after picking. So some believe they may even be healthier than fresh, as "fresh" in the super market are days or weeks old by the time they reach the stores. :)

Frozen are fine. Frozen veggies are flash frozen immediately after picking. So some believe they may even be healthier than fresh, as "fresh" in the super market are days or weeks old by the time they reach the stores. :)

Good point :)

I can't really think of any argument against frozen.....

And, the freezing "mushes" up the veggie, so it's, essentially, pre-blanched so you most likely will not have to blanch it to soften it, which could take out some of the vitamins/minerals, for fishy consumption.

I probably don't have to say it, but of course only the plain varieties, NOT the seasoned kind. Frozen peas and green beans is what I feed mine. Haven't tried frozen spinach yet. Most of the other veggies aren't that suitable for my fish.

That's because carrots are hard to digest for goldfish, and all of mine despise them anyway. Broccoli and most likely cauliflower too make one of my fish super floaty. Broccoli in general is more likely to cause gas in goldfish and can make them floaty. Corn I haven't tried, but it is too high in starch for my personal preference.

Mine aren't crazy about bell peppers either, so that doesn't leave much to choose from. Not sure about asparagus, okra, sugar snaps, edamame etc.

Yes, of course I wasn't planning on using seasoned veggies. I was specifically thinking about frozen spinach, kale, etc. I also wanted to try cucumber and zucchini.

Haha, mine hate carrots too! It's the only food I ever saw them spit!

I always do frozen peas. If I am doing something like spinach, its fresh.

When I tried cucumber and zucchini, I bought fresh. My fish snubbed them at the time.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :) I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow so I wanted to add some of these things on my shopping list.

In terms of fruit, I think I will get green apples for them - has anyone tried this before? Or strawberries? I know a lot of people use oranges but I wanted to avoid oranges because they are messy (and acidic).

My fish love bananas. :)

My fish like to munch edamame, but it takes longer to chew than peas.