Bettas And Shimp

Dirgeking

I'm curious if it would be possible to put a couple of ghost shrimp in with my betta. He's a Crown tail in a 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank. I just got him some new live plants( with more on the way) so there are tons of places to hide for the shrimp if need be. I've been told, and have read, that some people put in either ghost or cherry shrimp with their bettas. He doesn't seem too aggressive, he has never once flared or clamped down.

The purpose is for the shrimp to clean up around my tank, there seems to be some type of slim thing going on my decor. It's super clear but you can feel it. My girlfriend said that it might be algae. Plus, the gravel of my tank is kinda gross. I've thought about getting a tiger snail to try and eat up the possible algae, but they get so big :c

Any suggestions?

If you do add shrimp I would go with inexpensive ones first. My bettas will hunt down anything that goes into their little world. A shrimp would not last long with them, but I guess it does depend on the individual fish. Mine might be particularly aggressive. :undecided:

Thank you, guys.

I think I'll get a few ghost shrimp and see how they do. I have never seen my fish with anything else so I'm not perfectly certain of his temperament.

Let's say he turns out to be pretty aggressive and eats them up. What type of snail do you think could do well in a 6.6 gallon tank?

I got five ghost shrimp for free a while back, and I guess my tropicals ate them because when I was cleaning out the tank to rehome them only one was there. I put him in the tank with the betta and just the other day saw him chillin' on the top of the terracotta pot in the betta tank and the betta didn't care. :)

You should be fine.