Sign in to follow this  
horserider36

Switched Food, Now They Are Gulping Air..

I know I have a lot of questions and I appreciate your patience :)

So, I was feeding Aqueon Goldfish Granules and I switched to Pro Gold a few days ago. I've noticed that about 10 minutes after feeding the new food, my ranchu gulps air for about 30-45 minutes and then returns to normal. I do soak the pellets for about 5 minutes before feeding them and I feed them a pea or two every couple days. I've also noticed that the poops sometimes float. Is this anything to worry about? Has anyone else had similar issues?

Sounds like your fish are a little constipated. Have you incorporated peas into their diet?

I feed pro gold and love it. its pretty well regarded but does not come with an expiry date. I always wonder about freshness with undated foods.

I feed pro gold and love it. its pretty well regarded but does not come with an expiry date. I always wonder about freshness with undated foods.

Yep. And sometimes I wonder about the foods with expiration dates far into the future.

Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about this food. Maybe it will just take time for him to get adjusted to it. My other fish, Orlando, thinks it's the best thing that's ever happened to him lol. I feed them peas as well so that should help keep them from getting stopped up. I'm going to give them some broccoli today to see if they like it. Hopefully Orlando won't go into a coma from the new-food excitement :D