Won't Stop Breeding!

rwolfe

HELLO!

So, I have an 85 gallon tank with 1 black moor(f), 1 fantail(m), 1 ryukin(m), 1 ranchu(f), and 2 weird looking offspring of the black moor and ryukin. (I think) I kept them cause they were odd looking, gave away the other babies of that batch. One has a single tail fin, and the other has a crazy looking tail that kind of flips up.

Anyhooo, the black moor WILL NOT STOP LAYING EGGS. Or shooting eggs I should say. At least once a week. They sometimes fly out of the tank and spatter the wall! (the top is open for ventilation, lighting is suspended. I am now(after raising a million fry) attempting to ignore the babies and am only netting them and dumping them in the baby house (a permanent addition to my tank now) when they make themselves so obvious to me that the guilt will not allow me to leave them to fend for themselves. It has become a bit overwhelming. I have now TWO baby houses for babies almost ready to turn colors and smaller fry. As you know, it is several months before they change color and so kind of a lot of work to have all these fish. I am in an apt, and the 85 gallon is already pushing the good will of my landlord, CAN NOT set up another tank. ALso, I am on the second floor and have nightmares of my tank going through and dropping on my neighbors heads. We get alot of earthquakes in CA......

SO HOW CAN I GET HER TO STOP WITH THE DARN EGGS???

I can't find good homes for all these babies, I HATE giving them to the local pet shop and thinking they are going to end up in a bowl, and my tank is starting to get overloaded with 6 adults and a million babies.

Anyone have any advice???

THANKS!!!

RAchel

I KNOOOWWWW!!!!!!

My poor little girl; the ONLY girl in a tank of four boys is on her fourth round of egg-laying in one month! She just laid again today! The boys just chase her endlessly. I feel so sorry for her! I just wonder when it's going to end! This is the first year I've had her that she's lain this frequently. Last year she only laid once. I think it's the fluctuation in temperatures I have here though that's causing it. I'm lucky though, in that they're eating all the eggs before they get to the point of hatching, assuming they're even being fertilized in the first place, but, even if some did hatch, I would still allow my fish to eat them because I don't want any babies, the work that comes with taking care of babies and worst of all, trying to figure out what to do with them after they grow up. Having babies seems fun, but just like with human babies, they're not a toy. They come with a level of responsibility I don't want to deal with.

So, anyway, the first thing that encourages a fish to breed is temperature fluctuations. If you can keep your water temp low and constantly low, your girl will be less likely to produce and lay eggs. I would say keep the temp high and constantly high, but as that's not as good for the fish, it's better to be low, but the most important thing is to stop ALL temperature fluctuations.

Next, if you keep getting eggs, you're just going to have to learn to harden the heart and remove all the eggs and/or let them get eaten before they hatch. If you're having a hard time doing it, look at it this way. It's far less abusive, pretty much not abusive at all, to "kill" the egg before it's really a live fish rather than to let it get to be a fry or young adult and go to a fish store and/or to a home that doesn't know how to take care of it and kills it anyway or that you have to euthanize it because you can't give it away.

Yes. Good idea. Cull the eggs. I will try this. I have ALOT o plants in my tank, BIG wysteria plants planted in sponges in jars. The only thing they don't destroy. Anyway, those eggs hide pretty well. I do scrape them off the tank when I see them. I think it probably is the water temp fluctuations when I do water changes. I will have to be more diligent with that. Thanks for the advice!! Anyone want some fish babies??? :)

Edited by rwolfe

My solution for stopping breeding in fish is to separate the sexes. I'd rather not destroy fertile eggs/fry. You said you can't have another tank so I guess not an option.

I wouldn't cull the fertilized eggs or fry. Once the egg is fertilized it becomes a fish. If you say it isn't a live fish yet, how does that explain their movements within the egg?

IMO, it would be best to separate the male and female fish as Au Fish said. Then you can give away the fish you can't keep. You don't know that they will end up in a bowl. Give them to a reputable shop and give them a chance to live. I don't think we should kill fish just because they MIGHT end up in a bowl. Just my :twocents.

Uh-oh...we might end up in a very political debate here about when life becomes a life and over population. Tread carefully, folks.

My advice is that you have to do what feels right. If you see breeding behavior you could always float her in a colander in the main tank that way the eggs are contained and unfertilized. On the other hand, there lots of us in California on here. Post some pictures of your fry and fish in the classifieds and maybe some people will take a few off your hands for you.

If you still have to give some away to LFSs, research well the stores you choose. That way they have the best chance of ending up in a good home.

Uh-oh...we might end up in a very political debate here about when life becomes a life and over population. Tread carefully, folks.

My advice is that you have to do what feels right. If you see breeding behavior you could always float her in a colander in the main tank that way the eggs are contained and unfertilized. On the other hand, there lots of us in California on here. Post some pictures of your fry and fish in the classifieds and maybe some people will take a few off your hands for you.

If you still have to give some away to LFSs, research well the stores you choose. That way they have the best chance of ending up in a good home.

:goodpost

+2

+2

+3 great post amymitchchell, some good ideas here.

Doing what feels right to you, personally, is a good rule of thumb :D. If she keeps laying eggs, maybe split them for a bit temporarily, also just to give her a break. Must be tough laying all these eggs

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice peeps! Ya, I really don't want to debate life, I save em when I see em, otherwise nature will take it's natural course. I think I will make a screen seperator though for the spring/summer. Might give the poor girl a break from all that chasing.

Cheers!