Sign in to follow this  
Kulukan

Diy Skippy/doc Style Filter Assembly

DIY Pond Filter Assembly

I had such a headache figuring out all this filter stuff that I took hella pictures along the way to help out anyone that is not so mechanically inclined to figure this out. I am by no means saying this is the best way to assemble this, but is what we did. I apologize if I have left anything out or mixed up any of the pictures, it turned into a very long post.

I used the Skippy filter and Doc filter as a template for my filter. While there are a few parts we added on our own all credit for these designs should go to them (sites are below) The following post is the nitty gritty of putting this together. Its the type of post I would have liked to have when we built mine. I highly recommend you read through the following sites before attempting this. I may have left some details out that you will find there. I also apologize if I have mixed up any of the information from either of those sites. I want to make sure the credit stays with the designers of this style of filter.

http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

http://drdaveskoi.tripod.com/html/doc_bio_filter.html

(you will notice that I say "we" a lot, I really just supervised while my wonderful Chris did all the work)

Shopping List

this is copied and pasted from the Skippy Filter site, but edited to add the details I had to figure out and the extra items needed to use a 30 gallon drum

first without pictures, a list with pictures is below

Filter Container (I used a 30 gallon, plastic food grade drum. $15 from a scrap shop)

1 - length of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe

1 - length of 2" pvc pipe

1 - 1 1/2" PVC slip T

1 - 1 1/2" PVC threated T (the threads are on the perpendicular opening

2 - 1 1/2" PVC elbows

1 - 1 1/2 inch to 1 1/4 inch threaded nipple reducer (no one I asked in the hardware store knew what this was, we ended up getting a threaded hose adapter from the pond shop)

1 - 3"-4" closet flange (its a toilet part)

4 - 1/4 inch by 1 1/2 inch bolt, nut and washer combinations

1 bottle silicone sealant

1 - 2" pvc ball valve

1 - 2" shower drain

1 - 3"-2" ABS bushing

1 - length of hose (I used 1" hose)

2 - hose clamps (I only needed one but we put the other one on too just to be safe)

Filter Media - I used plastic fencing per the link to the "doc filter"

1 - length 1/2" pvc pipe

4 - 1/2" pvc elbows

1 - 1/2" pvc cross (umm...the X shaped one) these are for building a stand to hold the egg crate off the bottom of the filter

1 - plastic egg crate style overhead 2x4 light grate (or something similar) you get these in the lighting section of hardware stores.

Shopping List with Pictures

Filter Container (I used a 30 gallon, plastic food grade drum. $15 from a scrap shop)

IMG_2115-1.jpg

1 - length of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe

1 - length of 2" pvc pipe

IMG_2108.jpg

1 - 1 1/2" PVC slip T

1 - 1 1/2" PVC threated T (the threads are on the perpendicular opening

2 - 1 1/2" PVC elbows

IMG_2106-1.jpg

1 - 1 1/2 inch to 1 1/4 inch threaded nipple reducer (no one I asked in the hardware store knew what this was, we ended up getting a threaded hose adapter from the pond shop)

IMG_2226-1.jpg

1 - 3"-4" closet flange (its a toilet part)

IMG_2101.jpg

4 - 1/4 inch by 1 1/2 inch bolt, nut and washer combinations

1 bottle silicone sealant

82101-SiliconeSealant.jpg

1 - 2" pvc ball valve

IMG_2097.jpg

1 - 2" shower drain

IMG_2098.jpg

1 - 3"-2" ABS bushing

IMG_2102.jpg

1 - length of hose (I used 1" hose)

IMG_2224.jpg

2 - hose clamps (I only needed one but we put the other one on too just to be safe)

hoseclamp.png

Filter Media - I used plastic fencing per the link to the "doc filter"

IMG_2225.jpg

1 - length 1/2" pvc pipe

4 - 1/2" pvc elbows

1 - 1/2" pvc cross (umm...the X shaped one) these are for building a stand to hold the egg crate off the bottom of the filter

1 - plastic egg crate style overhead 2x4 light grate (or something similar) you get these in the lighting section of hardware stores.

IMG_2104.jpg

eggCrate.jpg

I used an old plastic beverage can holder in the place of the above blue parts because I had one sitting around (why? because my boyfriend is a hoarder, and my needing this only reinforced his disorder)

IMG_2109.jpg

over the coarse of building this it probably cost around $70 or more.

clean your barrel. food grade or not it has to be fish safe :) I rinsed my barrel and let it soak a couple of days in clean water

IMG_2115.jpg

The Drain

you need to cut a hole so that your shower drain fits tightly here at the bottom (the grate part goes on the inside of the barrel)

IMG_2208.jpg

We took each part that needed to go through the barrel and traced them onto the side.

IMG_2201.jpg

Chris first drilled some big holes around opening so that he could insert the jigsaw

this kind of Jigsaw IMG_2328.jpg

not this kind 300_162678.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

then played connect the dots with the holes, and trimmed up the hole bit by bit until it fit

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

here is how the drain goes in

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

This drain must be sealed onto the bucket with the silicone sealant or it will leak. I unfortunately do not have pictures of where he actually applied the sealant. but I am quite certain that it was along this inside edge. Whenever you seal something like this make sure to wipe down all the surfaces to be sealed with rubbing alcohol. Don't be stingy with the sealant, you want it to smoosh all over the place.

IMG_2214-1.jpg

This is the assembly for the actual drain. You will insert a cut piece of 2" pvc pipe into the 2" shower drain, and the 2" ball valve goes onto that cut piece of pipe. This was all glued together. The pictures below were taken before we installed the drain (if you install the drain the black piece is already sealed to the barrel)

IMG_2216.jpg

(do NOT put your pieces together like this until you are actually gluing them....it was very hard to take apart)

IMG_2217.jpg

finished drain

IMG_2239.jpg

Pond return

We cut the hole for the pond return spout the same way the drain one was cut.

IMG_2210.jpg

while holding the flange in place on the barrel Chris drilled the holes for the 4 bolts.

Why do we need bolts if it will be sealed in place? Because the water in the barrel may distort it a bit and the bolts make sure that the flange stays pressed against the barrel even if it does.

IMG_2232.jpg

wipe all the surfaces down with rubbing alcohol

goop on the the sealant

IMG_2233.jpg

smoosh into place

IMG_2234.jpg

wipe down all the washers that will be on the front of the barrel with rubbing alcohol

goop some sealant into the holes and insert the bolts

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

we added a bit more sealant to the parts that didn't ooze out

IMG_2238.jpg

then tooled it (i think that means more smooshing but with your fingers)

IMG_2240.jpg

and done!

IMG_2241.jpg

now to insert the bushing. We originally intended to attach a 2" PVC spout for the water to return through. Right now though the filter is very close to the pond so we don't need it yet. This bushing allows you to attach a 2" pipe to the flange

again - wipe down the bushing and the opening with rubbing alcohol and apply sealant like so:

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

insert the bushing (I think it has to be facing this way, the other side of the bushing looks different)

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

he used a clamp thing to smoosh the bushing all the way in

IMG_2247.jpg

from the inside with the bushing

IMG_2248.jpg

then tooled the sealant smooth

IMG_2249.jpg

done!

IMG_2250.jpg

all the inside bits

now this is the part where you might need all those bits highlighted in blue in the shopping list. If you go to the "Doc Filter" site you will see how he made his pvc stand for the bottom of the filter. I don't think you need quite so many elbows and joints, a simple affair to hold the egg crate 6 or so inches from the bottom of the barrel is fine. You don't need to glue any of these bits together.

here is his site again: http://drdaveskoi.tripod.com/html/doc_bio_filter.html

I hacked this thing up to fit into the bottom of the barrel instead (lol did I really type "I"?!)

IMG_2219.jpg

now to the stuff I have pictures for.

If you have read through the Skippy or Doc sites then you will know what we are building here. If you didn't - these are the pipes that will put the water from your pump down to the bottom of the barrel. By assembling the pipes this way the water will swirl at the bottom, underneath your media and stay trapped in that vortex.

so, we cut one piece of 1 1/2" pvc pipe the height or the barrel and attached the tee without threading to the bottom. From that tee you will need 2 smaller pieces of 1 1/2" pvc pipe that will extend to edge of the barrel when an elbow is attached, angle the elbows to face opposite directions.

IMG_2221.jpg

it goes in the barrel, underneath your egg-crate or soda holder grate. We punched a hole in the grate so that it would slide down the pipe.

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

insert media

IMG_2242.jpg

the tee with threading slips onto the top of the pipe, the hose adapter threads into the tee and is held in place with the clamp. The opening that is facing straight up is left open to allow a bit of air to get sucked into the filter

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

we went back later and drilled a hole in the side of the barrel and chopped the center pipe down lower so that the hose didn't run over the top. So long as you keep it above the water line there is no need to seal anything

IMG_2330.jpg

thank you for looking :)

Can we say MacGyver? I think we can! :Congrats:

I honestly gotta admit that after about half the post I stopped reading because there was too much info for my brain to process LOL

I still looked through all the pics though and it looks great!!

So you use chicken wire as media? Nothing else? (I might have missed that during the I CAN'T READ NO MORE phase).

I think this is a very very useful topic though. I know for sure that I will fully read and use this whenever I make my own pond. Thanks a lot for posting this, I actually demand this to be pinned, please!!

it is plastic poultry fencing. so its basically hella cheap bio-balls, that idea came from the "Doc Filter" site. The Skippy filter uses scrubbies.

I totally understand about the brain overload. That's how I felt the first time I read the Skippy site and prompted me to take all the pictures that they left out. Its something that is hard to read unless you are actually building it and looking for an answer.

I tried to simplify as much as I could, but there are so many little details that need to be done that I could only simplify so much. It hurts my brain to read it and I wrote it!

That is GREAT!!! My housemate may never forgive you, but he doesn't need to know where this inspiration came from. I'm going to go talk to him tonight about putting something like this in our yard. Altho' I should perhaps let him finish the exhaust fan for the kitty litter box project, before springing this new one on him.

I'm like you, Kulukan, I have the ideas and the inspiration. I need someone else to do the hands-on stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to document the steps. It makes it much easier to imagine when I see pictures.

Congrats on the project!!!

PS: Moderators - PIN Please!!

Thank you so much for this!!! I actually tried reading those websites a few months ago because i want a bigger filter for my pond and i can not understand them lol. I seem to just zone out while trying to read through it all. Your pictures helpef so much!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna have to build me a new filter i think ;)

I honestly gotta admit that after about half the post I stopped reading because there was too much info for my brain to process LOL

Same here. It doesn't help that I have the shortest attention span even. Although the post is AMAZING. I will have to remember it is here should I ever get a pond of my own.

I found this great thread in the "new posts." When I wanted to find it again, I searched for a long time. Could this be cross-listed in "Ponds?" It's so useful. At least, Kulukan, put a link to it in your thread about your pond.

will do, I think it put it in the DIY section.

Edited by Kulukan

Wow, very smart. I wish i had a back yard. I would make a nice big pond