Surprise Fish

Today I went to Fintastic to buy Seachem Gold Buffer. At the checkout I asked the guy if they also sell duck weed, because I'd like to get some for my tropical tank and as food for the goldfish.

They don't sell it, but their for sale live plant tanks have some, so he grabbed a bag and scooped up a decent amount of duck week, tied up the bag and handed it to me for free. Yay!

So Steven and I are on the way to drive to a thrift store, when I take a closer look at the duck weed in the bag when I see a tiny little squirmy fry hide in between the plants!! :yikes

Since the A/C in our car is currently not working (go figure) we turned around and went straight home to not overheat the little fella.

I am not sure what type fish it is. I know they keep life fish in with their plants, I think in that particular tank were platys or mollies. I'm gonna email them and ask, to know for sure. But I tend toward platy, which is good since I already got three in the 55 gallon tank.

Anyway, since I don't have any other place to put the little one right now, he is now in a 1.5 gallon rubbermaid with a small air tube. I'm out of air stones, so I just placed a river rock on the tube. Still makes a lot of bubbles and current. The duck weed is in the same container, the water is a mix of fresh dechlorinated tap water, tank water from the 55 gallon established tank, and the water that was in the bag.

He is not too shy, and likes to eat. I'm glad I still got the Hikari First Bites and about half a dozen frozen BBS cubes. I can't say for sure how old he is, but he already got tiny fins and stuff. Kind of developed like my goldfish fry at the age of between one and two weeks. Just much, much smaller.

I named him Ducky, for obvious reasons :D

Acclimating in the bag in the big tank. The three platys are way in the back of the tank, while the back was clamped to the front. And STILL there is such a size difference!

Ducky06171100.jpg

Full view of his tub

Ducky06171102.jpg

Donna Noble finds him very "attractive"

Ducky06171103.jpg

Closeup

Ducky06171101.jpg

Closeup of the closeup

Ducky06171104.jpg

I know :D This is kind of exciting. I have no clue what this fish is gonna look like, coloration etc.

But I'm 75% sure there were platys in that tank. And plecos, but this sure ain't looking like a pleco to me.

He already filled his belly with goodies, it is all bulged out. So far he seems very healthy. I put the fake Ludwigia plant in there for extra cover. I know the tank he came from was more than moderately planted.

EDIT: Fintastic replied, said they think it has to be either a guppy (I don't remember seeing guppys in that tank) or a gambusia. Now I got to look into gambusias. The quick google image search shows fish that resemble platys. I'll have to google more tomorrow :)

Way to go Fang! You're really becoming a true fish lady! :thumbs:

Note: If Ducky turns out to be a Piranha call Fintastic back immediately and see what their return policy is. I'm just sayin... :tomato:

Awww! How cool Fang!

He/she's so cute, and I really hope you're successful in raising the little guy. :heart

I'm excited to find out what breed it turns out to be; and I, of course, love the name... :D

Keep us updated!

Edited by Kateana

Note: If Ducky turns out to be a Piranha call Fintastic back immediately and see what their return policy is. I'm just sayin... :tomato:

Lmao :rofl

Alright, I did my education about gambusia now.

They are commonly called MOSQUITO FISH. Now that seems a lot more familiar. Got the name from being one of the best mosquito and general insect larvae devouring fish species. (Oh really? I thought they liked french fries.)

They are native to Northern and Central Amerika, related to guppys. You often find them in ponds, goldfish ponds etc. They are very, very hardy, and survive temperatures between 33F and 100F, have no problem with stagnant water etc.

Tough little suckers. Some places you get them for free for your pond as bug-control-unit.

Now here's the bad thing: I keep reading that they also are nasty little meanies. Nippers, bullies in community tanks.

It seems like a 50/50 thing. Apparently they have the same attitude as male bettas.

BUT all these "bad reviews" come from people keeping them in small tanks with guppies and bettas. I read somewhere about stocking level of one mosquito fish per gallon, "but they even do fine with FIVE fish per gallon". :blink:

That crowded, no wonder they get nasty. I'd be angry too if every time I turn around I'd hit my head into someone's arse.

So I think there is a chance that in my relatively lightly stocked 55 gallon tank - especially whenever it is heavier planted - he should be fine. There are only 5 bottom level fish (the pleco and the four corys), and 7 all over fish (two angels, two dwarf gouramis, three platys). That gives them all a lot of room and privacy and Ducky might be a good little mosquitofish.

At least I hope so :please

If not, he'll have to wait until I have a pond. As they don't mind stagnant water, as long as there are some plants, I also read how people keep single fish in buckets with plants, outside. So he might have to move into a three gallon bucket out in the shade, if he's being a brat.

In the worst case, he will take a ride to glencairn gardens' enclosed, massive goldfish pond. (Remember the pics?)

Even though native to this area, I don't want to put him out there. I read since they are hardy, they also are an invasive species and have led to the extinction of several rainbow fish types in Australia.

People keep putting them out in the wild, and I think every single fish makes a difference. Especially femmes.

It's Ducky's choice now: the cozy 55 gallon tank or the pond with kois. Who - in all honesty - might eat him, if he has bad luck. The pond is large though, so good chances.

If he is being a good fishie, and I have my outside goldfish pond, and he grows big enough (females grow to three inches), he (or she) might move out in the big pond with the goldis and help controlling bugs and mosquitoes.

We shall see. :bubbles

Ducky seems to understand that I'm responsible for the baby brine shrimp showing up in his tub. He's not too shy when I approach his tub, and actually seems to wait for me to dip the BBS-dipped stick into his tub :heart

Hi! I know Im a n00b here but I thought I'd chime in! Your little buddy is....Im 90% percent sure, a baby gambusia. I take care of them at my work and they are cute, silver colored fish that I believe are closely related to guppies. They are capable of giving live birth every 28 days and if you have 2 (a male and female) you will soon have aloooottt lol. In our stock tanks they usually all gather at the top and dont like much heavy water movement. We have some that are around 2 inches long, and they are voracious mosquito larvae eaters (awesome english...I know) They are somewhat cold tolerant but usually do not survive the winters here (northwest ohio). Have fun with the little guy!