Sign in to follow this  
GFishowner

Emergency ! Too Many Symptoms Suddenly Appeared

HI

I had an old thread white poop.

I took my fish to the petshop and they gave me internal bacteria medicine for them. I added the medicine yesterday and today suddenly my goldfish show so many symptoms.

1. white shiny spots on the fins

2. frayed fins

3. dorsal fin is down

They are active and eating though but now i am extremely concerned.

this has never happened before.. is it some medicine side effect???

sorry to hear your fish isn't well..

please fill out all the questions at the top of the form so that we know how to better assist you. please post pictures if you can.

Edited by stakos

sorry to hear your fish isn't well..

please fill out all the questions at the top of the form so that we know how to better assist you. please post pictures if you can.

Hi

I have 9 gold fish in my tank. Each fish is 1/2 inch big. My water parameters are fine. I change 15 - 20 % water every 3rd day. I got my water tested yesterday at the pet store and it was fine. I ###### water conditioner which is anti - stress (AQUA plus) every time I change water. I also use ceramic rings to keep ammonia low. I have one air filter and other air stone attached to give them maximum oxygen.

I have hand the fish for 3 months now.

All my fish were happy and healthy. They love to play with us. They act naughty sometimes

Today morning one of my fish which was a pearl scale died ... and its extremely depressing.

I think it was internal bacterial infection.

The other fish which is the lion head seems active, eating fine, responding to me is pooping white as well...

Does it mean it has bacterial infection too?? or should I wait and see how he is doing.

I dont want to feed my fishies antibiotic for no reason.

I also want to know is algae harmful for my fish??

Help!!!

i dont know the parameter measurements.

my tank is 35 gallon

I do water changes every 3rd day.

I have a large filter with sponge in it.

and an extra air stone.

I have two bark pieces and gravel for decoration.

my fish are not more than 1/2 inch in size

i had actually started a thread yesterday.. i just copy pasted from it

please answer the following questions

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

The first thing you need to do is a massive water change to remove all of the medication you added. Do two 50% changes back to back and do not add any more medication. Too harsh of meds, combined with what I suspect is poor water quality is causing your issues. You are way overstocked. In a thirty-five gallon tank I would only have three fancy goldfish and one singletail goldfish. That is it. Until then you will always be battling poor water and stunted unhealthy fish. You really need to purchase a testing kit if you can. Or when you get the water tested get the exact params. If your tank is cycled you shouldn't be showing ammonia or nitrite at all and you want to keep your nitrates below 20ppm. Green algae can be very healthy for fish, but brown algae can cause bacterial issues. How are your fish acting now?

The first thing you need to do is a massive water change to remove all of the medication you added. Do two 50% changes back to back and do not add any more medication. Too harsh of meds, combined with what I suspect is poor water quality is causing your issues. You are way overstocked. In a thirty-five gallon tank I would only have three fancy goldfish and one singletail goldfish. That is it. Until then you will always be battling poor water and stunted unhealthy fish. You really need to purchase a testing kit if you can. Or when you get the water tested get the exact params. If your tank is cycled you shouldn't be showing ammonia or nitrite at all and you want to keep your nitrates below 20ppm. Green algae can be very healthy for fish, but brown algae can cause bacterial issues. How are your fish acting now?

Is brown algae bad for gold fish

what is the reason for brown algae

I dont have ammonia issues because i have the ceramic rings which takes care of it.

I did water change yesterday before adding the medicine. Eevrytime I do a water change I add aqua salt and my fish are fine. Even any small symptoms they have get healed overnight. Hoever yestrday i did not add aqua salt because i ws using the medicine ... Could that be the cause?? maybe they are used to aqua salt??? my fish are active and all naughty like they always act...

i know my tank is small but my fish are not even 1/2 inch.. they seem happy all the time with each other.

One fish is the king of the jungle and rest follow him.. they play and i can see them enjoying themselves

I have a lot of brown algae in my tank.. will clean it all today

Edited by GFishowner

The thing is that if your tank is properly cycled you shouldn't have ammonia to need taken care of. And if this is something like ammo-lock or another thing along those lines, the salt you continually put in your tank will actually make any ammonia leach back out into the water. Salt is what is used to recharge any of the ammonia removing products.

Odds are that they are reacting to the harsh medicine not the lack of salt, but how much salt do you put in the tank regularly?

It is much better to clean up all the brown algae you can for sure....that can cause problems.

The thing with having an overstocked tank is that your fish won't actually have the room that they need to grow. And you will always fight sickness and poor water quality.

please answer the following questions

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

i add one table spoon every 2 days after 25% percent water change.

Well, if you change 25% (about 9 gallons) and add in 1 tablespoon each time, that means your tank is about .1% salt ( 1 teasp per gallon)--that's a medicinal dose. You do not need that unless you have a specific issue that salt addresses. And, over time the amount has probably crept higher. Some people do add salt regularly in a smaller dose, but most of us here do not as we keep the salt for speciifc illnesses that are treated by it (like ick) and do not want it to lose its effectiveness. If you do want to continue to add the salt, the dosage should be no more than 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. If you have any ammonia readings at all, you do not want to add in any salt as it makes the ammonia more toxic.

Now, as to your immediate problem, it happened when you aded the medicine, is that right? So, I agree that you should take it out. Can your fish store test the water to get the ph, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels? They will usualy do it here in the US for free if you take in a water sample, I don't know if they do that in Singapore, but those numbers are really important to diagosing the problem. It is hard for us to know how to help you without those numbers. For example, if you PH is low, or falls over time, that is a problem for your fish. There are things you can do to fix that, but no way to know if that is the problem without knowing the levels in your tank. If you buy a test kit yourself, try to get drops--paper strips are notoriously unreliable.

Here are some other questions that it would be helpful to thave the answers to, in addition to what has been asked for by others:

-what kind of filter fo you have and how big is your filter (how many gallons does it turn over in your tank per hour--GPH)

--do you keep the filter media? rinse it in tank water (tap water can kill the good bacteria if you have chlorine in it)? Throw it away every week (that can crash your cycle as you are throwing away the good bacteria)?

--what are the ingredients in the medicine you got? Tetracyline? Metronidzole? Erythromycin? Nitrofurazone? Copper? Some are harsher than others, and not all work on the same problems--and some definitly have a bad interaction with salt. You may need to use an antibiotic, but with more info on what you are using now, we can give better advice.

:)

The reason iuse salt is for their general well being. And it has always helped until yesterday when i didnt add it and just used the medicine for them.

right now i did the water changes cleaned out all the brown algae. my fish seem fine i mean they seem to be happy and swiimiing right.

I just added the salt and some symptoms are fading slowly.. i dont know wat happened.

i want to use carbon for getting rid of all the medicine will it be ok with the aqua salt??

i will get my water tested today and post the readings.. and also add the deatils of the filter in a while

Yes, you can use salt as a tonic, but just not quite so much. One tablepsoon per 5 gallons is what my box of API Aquarium Salt recommends. So, you do not need as much as you are puttiing in to get the effect you are looking for if your intent is to use it as a tonic, and not as a medical treatment. RE getting rid of the mediciine, water changes get it out immediately--and water changes in general solve/remove a lot of problems (toxic build-up in the water, etc.) --but if you use carbon, I do not believe it removes the salt.

no. carbon does not remove the salt.. and seeing as we do not know the water params.. ie, ammonia ppm and other critical params, it is dangerous to use salt and or meds. if you have ammonia build up in the water, adding salt will harm your fish as it accelerates levels of the ammonia.

even though it appears that the exterior of the fish is becoming better as salt cures slime coat problems and rips in fins/tails, without knowing the PH level, adding salt and or meds can harm your fish as well as the possible effects of accelerated ammonia in the water can be doing more harm internally than good..

medicines also should not be used at all until it is determined what the problem is. salt is considered a medicine and not a maintenance pacifier. if you find that you must use salt to keep your goldfish alive and looking good, then you are failing in other aspects of keeping them healthy.

step 1. remove all salts and medicines from the tank with nice large waterchanges.

step 2. ensure you have adequate room for your fish to survive in a healthy environment

step 3. ensure your fish tank has a suitable filter that will maintain gph water volume.

after all that is taken care of and you still have problems, then we can look at what is most appropriate for the condition of your fish.

Sorry to drop in this late in the discussion, but I felt it necessary to stress that you need a functional and fully cycled filter to turn ammonia into nitrate (for what it means to have a 'cycled' filter, please read the pages linked to in my signature below). If that isn't in working order, all other things like salt and medication are beside the point, because good water conditions are to fish what oxygen is to us (in which case medication would be what food and water is to us: pointless if you don't have oxygen). So to be able to judge whether your filter is fully cycled, we need need to know the following water parameters (as a bare minimum!):

• ammonia
  • nitrites
  • nitrates
  • pH

You're lucky Stakos is here giving you advice: she's one the best helpers here and has the spotless fish record to show for it, so her advice is worth its weight in gold. So please don't dismiss it out of hand :(.

With regard to salt: it's one of the first types of medication that should be used, at least in a lot of case, but it's definitely not a good idea to. Not so long ago, Chrissy (another really experienced helper) recently gave a good explanation of this (link).

I don't think it's a matter of the fish getting tolerant to the salt, but rather the bacteria/parasites that may be causing your trouble. The main reason to use salt is to kill these things off because they're not good at coping with salinity changes. So if you maintain your tank with salt, you'll have to change the concentration if you develop an issue with a parasite in order to affect it - meaning you may have to take it up to a concentration that is too high for your fish to cope with well. Whereas if you started with a concentration of 0, brining it up to 3% is not too hard on your fish but will likely kill any 'nasties.'

And another main reason to use salt is if your fish gets a build up of internal fluid (dropsy). The salt helps the fish regulate the fluid balance in his body when his kidneys/gills just can't keep up. Again, if this happens while there is already salt in the water, you'd have to raise it to an even higher level to take effect.

This is why I don't recommend keeping salt in the water unless doing a treatment :)

I hope all the issues get sorted out. Best of luck! :)

Thankssss for all the help!!!

My goldfish feeling much much much better.

I removed all the medication using the carbon in the filter.

Then I did 25% water change yesterday afternoon added salt. Again in the evening I did a 25% percent water change and added little salt.

Today morning they were better. Did 25% water change again today morning. They are fine now. swimming around the way they used to exploring their tank playing with each other and pulling on their coral toy...

Hopefully they heal completely in 3 to 4 days.

So watching them closely!!!

yaaay! on the progress.. thus far.. i got a feeling, we will be seeing a lot more of you. :doh11:

Yup...Surely you will see me here as I really love this forum.. You guys are always there in time of crisis !!! :)