Fungus In New Nursery Tank...

Well Just a few days after I set up at 5 gal and I already have white stringy looking things floating around (In my filter and on my banana plant.) I didnt know what to do so I figured I'd put some fungus guard in there.?. Good or bad? I think the brand was jungle. I also have some aponogeton bulbs that I just put in tonight I don't want my plants to die. What do I do?

It sounds like staghorn algae. Does it look like this, this, or this(when out of water)? I'm currently dealing with it in my tank after some live plants brought it in. Blackouts don't seem to faze it. It seems the best thing to do with staghorn algae is to manually remove as much as possible, but ripping/scraping it off of tank equipment and trimming of infested leaves of live plants. If you are able to remove all of the existing algae mass, it doesn't seem to be able to reappear again through spores.

Another picture: sometimes it puts out spore pockets (I think) or just collects debris, so it looks like an old cobweb like this

Edited by Calluna