Sign in to follow this  
Lionchu

Green Water (gw) Tank 140l

These are my goldfish with either health problems, stunted growth, floaty (sbp), or poor wen growth. Look at their health now, amazing isn't it.

IMG_0818.gif

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

Your fish are amazing. Is that all from the green water? I'd like to try it, but I just get brown algae/diatoms (my tank is inside and not near a window, but when I set it up afte I move, maybe I can find a sunny spot for it). I do not know if that is enough, though. Inside sunlight, I mean. Do you change the water and how often? I actually know nothing about keeping a green water tank....:hmm

Your fish are amazing. Is that all from the green water? I'd like to try it, but I just get brown algae/diatoms (my tank is inside and not near a window, but when I set it up afte I move, maybe I can find a sunny spot for it). I do not know if that is enough, though. Inside sunlight, I mean. Do you change the water and how often? I actually know nothing about keeping a green water tank....:hmm

I second the request for this info!

I'd love some green water, but I assume I either need to have the tank in a spot where it gets direct sunlight for several hours daily (which would be a disaster in my place since I don't have A/C here in the south and the tank temperature in the sun would probably reach 95F :doh11: ) or some fancy strong lights. But I'm a total DERP when it comes to fish tank lights. I wouldn't know what to use or if I can even use it in my light fixtures (older looking tank from craigslist).

Agree!

And the face in that first picture is priceless. :))

That's just fantastic! :o

I as well would like to know more :)

Wow they look very healthy :)

Wow they look very healthy :)

Hi Koko, thanks, you won't mind me putting a link for members here to another forum on the facts and benefits about green water (GW) do you? It's a big tropic and I can't put it in a few sentences.

Who wants to try this with me?! I am putting a tub of water out in the sun with some ammonia and plant fertilizer and an airstone.

I would love to try this, but I have no access to sunlight at all in this dreary apartment.:(

Who wants to try this with me?! I am putting a tub of water out in the sun with some ammonia and plant fertilizer and an airstone.

Hi Federica, why don't you get the ball rolling by showing us the details about your setup and it's progress?

I would love to try this, but I have no access to sunlight at all in this dreary apartment.:(

If Kokos approve my links, then everybody here will get all the info they need about GW cultivation otherwise I may have to PM all interested members separately. I've PM Koko this morning.

I hope she will approve! She probably will. If not, I am requesting to receive a private message with the link :)

Hi Federica, why don't you get the ball rolling by showing us the details about your setup and it's progress?

I will as soon as it stops raining and storming! We have had TERRIBLE weather here for 3weeks now! But I already have all planned and I found a great spot which gets sun from morning to late evening.

Something I found VERY interesting - green water will not grow if there are any cycled media or good bacteria in the tub. Otherwise they compete for the ammonia.

Something I found VERY interesting - green water will not grow if there are any cycled media or good bacteria in the tub. Otherwise they compete for the ammonia.

That's right, no Bio filtration at all, In my setup I'm using a sponge filter but I have to kill off the bb each week by soaking the whole sponge in a bucket of tap water and I also clean it by giving it a few squeezes when I'm doing the vacuuming and w/c.

Thank you for the link. I am going to start a 50 gallon tub to cultivate green water.

I wish I had enough space to try something like this.

your fish are amazing!

also i have heard that once a fish is used to green water going into a normal tank can potentally kill them is this true?

Edited by xchairity_casex

WOW! I also see that the tank looks like it is outdoors, it looks nice with the bricks.

I LOOOOOOOOVE green water! :D Since my tank is outdoors, the water is always green(until I do BIG water changes). But the fish seem to love the green water. I did notice that they have brighter colors and are much happier! :) It does great things :)