[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 6ish I believe, tops

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Not sure

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Not sure

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 78

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29, 6 months

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? A filter rated for 15 and a biowheel 150.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Typically 20% bi-weekly, changed to 50% for meds.

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? Today, 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, around 2" each

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Just treat it with ammonia detox

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Typically sinking granules, twice a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Negative

[*]Any medications added to the tank? PraziPro, started today.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Possibly grains of salt

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope

HPIM2469.jpg

I noticed a few really small pimple looking things on my moor on his right side. You can't see them from the side, only head on, and only in really good light. I read that with ick a good way to find it is to shine a flashlight on them and look for sparkles. I did that and couldn't find anything. So upon further investigation I also noticed a few small white specks on his tail fin, they're very faint but they are clear in the picture, look towards the base.

Anyway, could I now have the joy of Ick? Should I wait for more obvious signs? I literally just treated my tank with prazi so a change is out of the question until next Tuesday. What can I even mix with Prazi?

Sigh...very annoyed right now :/

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

I can't really see anything, and with ich, it should be rather obvious. I would just continue with the Prazi and observe carefully.

Completely un-sarcastic response, but obvious how? Also, do those pimples I spoke of mean anything?

I can see the white dots on the tail fins. Might they possibly be breeding stars? Those don't look like little grains of salt, which is common with ich.

If you honestly and surely think it's ich I'm pretty sure you can mix aquarium salt with Prazi, but as Dnalex said I would hold off and just continue with the Prazi. :)

I hope your fishies don't have ich! I just finished the battle with ich with Pear and added him/her to the main tank today. Good luck and hang in there! :heart

Edit----

By obvious you should be able to CLEARLY see the spots of ich and they should look like a little white dot has sat itself upon your fish, not like a pimple or anything below the surface. Almost like it has a piece of fuzz on it's shirt. :)

Edited by Vee

Ich looks like grains of salt on a fish that have been sprinkled on the fish. There may be only one, or few, or lots.

The little pimple spots you are referring may be bacterial spots, or they could be places where the flukes have fallen off from the fish. Just keep an eye on it to see how it develops or resolves in the coming week.

Edit: Vee had posted a better description of Ich than I did :)

I can see the white dots on the tail fins. Might they possibly be breeding stars? Those don't look like little grains of salt, which is common with ich.

If you honestly and surely think it's ich I'm pretty sure you can mix aquarium salt with Prazi, but as Dnalex said I would hold off and just continue with the Prazi. :)

I hope your fishies don't have ich! I just finished the battle with ich with Pear and added him/her to the main tank today. Good luck and hang in there! :heart

Edit----

By obvious you should be able to CLEARLY see the spots of ich and they should look like a little white dot has sat itself upon your fish, not like a pimple or anything below the surface. Almost like it has a piece of fuzz on it's shirt. :)

Alright, that makes sense. Also, would they be that far back? I know they usually appear on the gils, but they're actually behind them, along the body.

So if the white spots on the fin don't get worse, should I just write them off as abrasions or something?

I'm not jumping the gun on treatments, I just want to be prepared if I do have to act. Thanks for the help so far.

Alot of fish get breeding stars on their pectoral fins and in some strange places on their bodies. I would hold off until you are sure. Prazi works best with only a very low concentration of salt or none at all.

Alot of fish get breeding stars on their pectoral fins and in some strange places on their bodies. I would hold off until you are sure. Prazi works best with only a very low concentration of salt or none at all.

Do they look like tiny raised pimples? They almost seem to be under the scale, it's really weird looking and hard to get a good look at.

Sometimes breeding stars can almost look raised. But if they are breeding stars they shouldn't look like if you brushed your finger on the fish they would fall off. If they appear to be like a zit or a pimple (a little hill with a white head full of what appears to be puss) it might be a bacterial infection and I'm not quite so sure on those.

I've also found that one of my fish's anal fins were lightening and I treated with melafix, fearing it might be a sign of fin rot (which pear had, but the one with the lightening tails did not) With lots of clean water and a little bit of Melafix it has since gotten better. :)

If you notice little pinholes where the white was, torn fins, etc. that might be finrot but it doesn't seem like that's what your fish has.

Sometimes breeding stars can almost look raised. But if they are breeding stars they shouldn't look like if you brushed your finger on the fish they would fall off. If they appear to be like a zit or a pimple (a little hill with a white head full of what appears to be puss) it might be a bacterial infection and I'm not quite so sure on those.

I've also found that one of my fish's anal fins were lightening and I treated with melafix, fearing it might be a sign of fin rot (which pear had, but the one with the lightening tails did not) With lots of clean water and a little bit of Melafix it has since gotten better. :)

If you notice little pinholes where the white was, torn fins, etc. that might be finrot but it doesn't seem like that's what your fish has.

They don't look like they'd fall off at all. They're so tiny I can't even find them anymore. They might just be abrasions. Of course my dear Bernie is swimming around like he just won a cool million, so I can't get him to sit still regardless to even get a good look.

Sigh. Freakin' fish...apparently the most difficult creatures on the earth. They're like swimming hemophiliacs.

I agree with dnalex that the ones on the tail look like bacterial spots but they shouldn't cause much of a threat for now. Just definitely keep up with the prazi :)

:rofl Fish can be quite difficult to diagnose and treat. It all comes down to a good eye and firm judgement. I used to be overly cautious about my fish's scales pine-cone-ing when I noticed that I could see the edges of them when viewed from above. :D

As long as he continues to swim fine and you can't see any more specks I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you start to notice the specks again I'd see if you can get a good look at him under a bright light just to double check. Other wise just feed normally and give him a good once over about three times a day. :)

Sigh. Freakin' fish...apparently the most difficult creatures on the earth. They're like swimming hemophiliacs.

:rofl so true. I really wouldn't worry about it too much. You have a great plan of action going on right now, which is Prazi and lots of clean water. Those spots are likely little bacterial spots resulting from the flukes falling off the fish. If that's the case, the fish will take care of it on its own, provided that the water quality is good :)

Wait, so are flukes bacterial, or are you saying it's the healing of the spots where flukes may have been? If these keep up and get worse, what should I be treating for then? The only white spots I have experience with I treated for over a month ago and they were MUCH worse than those. This is what they looked like (they're gone now):

HPIM2282.jpg

I'm really hoping I'm not getting hit with those again, the Maracyn treatment is extremely demanding. Ugh. Fish.

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

No, flukes are parasites are if your fish had any, are attaching to gills and skin of the fish, causing them irritation and distress. When you treat with Prazi, the fluke falls off the fish, but where it was attached there is now a small wound, allowing for the possibility of a secondary bacterial infection.

Bacterial spots can be treated with salt, which is a lot less gentle than Maracyn. At this stage, you don't need to even consider the salt yet.

I think you meant more gentle, Dnalex. :rofl

Basically just lots and lots of clean water, and if it gets worse then add salt.

• Supporter

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Not sure[*]

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Not sure

the slightest bit of thickened slime coat will show white on a moor pretty fast. this is a frequent post from new moor owners and normally disregarded by more experienced members as "slime coat" PH levels can really affect the slime coat on any fish.

i have seen your pic, i don't see any grains of salt, i certainly do not see any reason for medication of any sort at this stage.

as you are unable to provide answers to a critical water param, i can only recommend that you do a nice big water change of 60-80% today and again tomorrow to see if that clears the problem that you presented with.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Just treat it with ammonia detox

exactly what product do you use?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Typically 20% bi-weekly, changed to 50% for meds.

20% biweekly is not enough waterchange for any goldfish routine. please up the waterchange routine to 60% weekly and if gravel, siphon it really good, as you would vacuum carpet.

changed to 50% for meds please advise recent history of medications used, how they were used and are they currently still in the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Possibly grains of salt

again, i have looked closely at the pic, i don't see "grains of salt" problem.. do not add medication or salt as yet until you have done the waterchanges. if problem is still there, then please post back.

Edited by stakos
added info

I haven't added any medication for this yet, still watching it closely. The slime coat thing is interesting, I'll try to grab a pH kit, but I doubt it's changed recently since I've been using the same water, same detoxer and nothing new has been added to the tank in months.

Kent ProAmmonia Detox is what I use to treat my water.

My tank doesn't get all too dirty, and I don't allow nitrates to get above 10. I can switch to 50% weekly but I'm not overly concerned about my changes.

Around 2 months ago I did Maracyn I and II for 10 days, and around a month ago I did one cycle of PraziPro (one dose, 50% after 7 days and that's it). I just started another round of Prazi I believe 2 days ago after a 50% change.

I won't be adding any new meds, I'm just trying to catch everything ASAP.

Thanks.

The pH of your tap water can change at any time. Your water company will likely not tell you of changes so you have to consistently check your tap water as well.

Also, you will need to do multiple rounds of prazi. The first round kills off the adults but not their eggs. Their eggs hatch and you kill them off with the second dose. Most people do between 4-5 doses. One dose once a week after a water change.

Also, the large water changes are not just to remove nitrates. There are a lot of bad things in the tank water that there are not tests for, such as bad bacteria. Also, with smaller fish the larger water changes help to prevent stunting because you are removing the hormone the fish produce that causes stunting.

I'll grab a pH kit in the near future, next few days most likely.

I will be doing 4 round of Prazi, 5 if I'm convinced it's necessary.

And that makes sense, I can change to larger ones it's no big deal.

Any opinions on the new pics?

I'd wait until you get your kit before making a conclusion. However, it does look kinda like bacterial spots to me. However, it's nothing that 0.1% salt wouldn't get rid of. :)

I'd wait until you get your kit before making a conclusion. However, it does look kinda like bacterial spots to me. However, it's nothing that 0.1% salt wouldn't get rid of. :)

What kind of bacterial spots? The last round I had looked different than this. Are you recommending a salt bath or a concentration in the tank? Can I do this with the Prazi active or should I wait?

Also looking for more opinions, but thanks!

Personally, I would just continue the Prazi and do large (80%+) water changes when you do them. I recommended salt only if you are really worried. You can definitely salt/Prazi at the same.

Personally, I would just continue the Prazi and do large (80%+) water changes when you do them. I recommended salt only if you are really worried. You can definitely salt/Prazi at the same.

Maybe I'll throw some in during the next change, thanks for the input.