Sign in to follow this  
WhiteWolf

Snails

I know that goldfish can and will eat small snails, but should they? Is it healthy for them? I bought a live plant the other day and picked a few small snails off of it before adding it to my tank. Would it be o.k. to feed them to my fish or should I figure out something else to do with them?

They should be ok to eat them. Do you have any tropical fish that might want to eat them too?

I would trash them simply because they could be a vector to carry in diseases. I hope you sterilized your plant, because plants often carry in diseases too.

I actually work at the pet store that I got them from. We have had problems with ich in the past, but that has been cleared up for a while. There are no other issues with the fish or plants that I know of. I am proud to say that we are actually a fairly good pet store too. We make sure that people have cycled tanks before selling fish and tell people about the goldfish in bowls myth.

Oh I see. Well I still would have sterilized them first. You just never know... perhaps they came in with some parasite from the supplier and the parasite has gone under the radar at your store, but once in your tank it will cause problems. Just thinking of possible hypotheticals here. You can never be too careful, and it's not difficult to sterilize them anyway, so it's definitely worthwhile to do in the future.

I would sterilize them as well. I've seen too many sad stories about what plants can bring in. I always sterlize mine like a crazy person.

If I am adding the plants to a tank that I am cycling without fish then I wouldn't need to sterilize them right? Wouldn't that kill all of the beneficial bacteria on them? My friend at work who has pea puffers is going to take the snails so I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore.

I have done that before; not sterilized new plants if they were going into a tank that was fishless cycling and wouldn't see any fish for at least a month. The plants were from a reliably good source though, and I heard from other people who bought plants there and they said the plants were always "clean" for them (Planted Aquariums Central online store). The idea is that if the plants spend at least a month away from fish, then the parasites would die off due to a lack of host. However, depending on the source of plants, it can be a big risk. I didn't have any noticeable problems from doing this, but I still wouldn't do it again as I don't think it was very wise. The next batch of plants I got, I sterilized with bleach. It's not difficult at all, and for the peace of mind it gives, it's worth it.

If you have snails that are living in your tank, and they are as healthy as the tank, then it would be fine to let the fish eat them. I have some that came in on plants. Every time I do a cleaning, I pick off all that I can find and freeze them. When feeding time comes around, I take out the frozen snails and put them between a paper towel. I tap them with a hammer while they are stil frozen (to break up the shell) then I just toss them to the fish. They LOVE snails. I also feed canned snails that are normally sold as reptile food, they are farm raised land snails with the shell removed. Look up "JurassiDiet Easi-Snail", "Zoo Med Can O' Snails" and they have a verson for hermit crabs that uses smaller snails mixed with river shrimp "JurassiDiet Easi-Mix Hermit Crab Food". I have tried all 3 and my goldies loved them! Snails...Yum!

Edited by Acro